Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:45:24 -0600, "Pete C."
wrote:

dpb wrote:

On 12/28/2011 2:54 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
On 12/28/2011 12:32 PM, Pete C. wrote:

George Plimpton wrote:

I went into a HF once. It was next door to a skateboard shop my son
wanted to check out. I had long heard people rave about HF, so I went
in to see. I was not impressed. Most of the merchandise seemed like
cheap Asian junk, ... was a good few years
ago, so maybe they've improved their merchandise lines since then.

Not really, no...

There is no shortage of crap at HF, but there are some real gems as
well. The hydraulic crimper and the hydraulic KO punch sets are two
examples that work very well and are 1/10 the cost of any competitive
units.

That might well be. In general, it seems that people who actually work
with tools for a living, or as a major hobby, seem to know how to get
good deals at HF. I'm not at that level.

The biggest complaint I've had is that there's absolutely no expectation
that a particular tool/device that is good one time will be the same the
next...

This is true, so if you like an item you go back and buy a few more the
next day so you get them from the same lot.

Same with plums.
Bought about 6 plums at a fruit store.
Most delicious plums I ever had.
So 2 days later I bought an entire case at the same place.
Different lot. They sucked big time and I tossed nearly all of them.

--Vic