Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 18:32:57 -0500, Frank
wrote Re Sears, I'll miss the
tools:

Similar observations here. I quit Sears years ago but local Kmart is
only 2 miles away and in further past was a decent store but started to
go down hill. Now with Sears take over it is even worse as they moved
in Sears items like washing machines and refrigerators which were not
sold at Kmart and moved out stuff I might be interested in.

Now I go a couple of miles more to Walmart.

Forty years or so, Sears was nations largest retailer. They did not
have the most stores but made up for it in volume sold per square foot
of store space.

My wife was still shopping at Sears until a couple of years ago when a
Sears clerk stole her id which we discovered when she charged about a
thousand dollars to her credit card.

Both stores are in their death throes and might as well close.

Good book about the rise and fall of Sears
http://www.amazon.com/Big-Store-Insi...5169803&sr=1-1

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in
:

On 2011-12-28, Jim Yanik wrote:

[ ... ]

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I
hope they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck
with their hand tools.

[ ... ]

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their
manufacturer has changed over the years,I can remember when they came
from JH Williams. that's why their quality has changed.

Back in the early 1970s, the micrometers came from
Scherr-Tumico, and the runout indicator was a Starrett "Last Word"
(probably the worst instrument from Starrett at that time.) Not
really sure who made their combination squares, but they were pretty
good. Lathes at that time were from Atlas, both the 6" and the 12".

No idea who made the ratchet wrenches and sockets, but they were
pretty good back then.

Enjoy,
DoN.

My dad was referring to the Craftsman wrenches,sockets and ratchets being
made by JH Williams.(back in the late 60's)

screwdrivers and other tools,who knows?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

These days? I broke two of them removing the oil drain plug on my
1980 Honda, before I finally got an impact socket for it (note--I
wasn't using an impact driver, just a breaker bar).

amazing that you didn't tear the threads out of the pan instead of breaking
a socket. SOMEbody shoulda been using a torque wrench on that plug.
Probably needed a new crush washer too,so it would not need to be tightened
so tight to prevent leaking.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 29, 8:06*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 04:42:02 -0800 (PST), Bob_Villa

wrote:
On Dec 28, 6:07*pm, (Larry W) wrote:
For a trip down memory lane into the long gone days of yesteryear, may I
take this opportunity to remind you all of: (among many others)

Korvettes
Ames
Caldor
Woolworth
Gimbels
Murphy's Mart (GC Murphy)
Zayre's
and of course, Montgomery Wards!

--
* *There are no stupid questions, but there are lots of stupid answers.

* * *Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf. lonestar. org

Also Ben Franklin. *E.J. Korvettes (Eight Jewish Korean Vets...this is
NOT a tasteless joke!)

My first credit card [1970] was Bradleys. * *Bought a $59 12" B&W TV
and stretched the payments over a year to establish credit.

Then there was the Two Guys. . . . * *I guess you could build a whole
website on the ones that came and went in the 60's--http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/index.html

When you look at how many have come and gone since Kmart began
[essentially1912 or so as Kresge's], they are doing pretty well.

Jim

Kmart/Sears is on the edge...as they have been many times!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

In article ,
says...

On 12/28/2011 7:36 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

"Pete wrote in message
.com...

Frank wrote:

On 12/28/2011 3:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"The Daring wrote in
message ...
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits
up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck
with their hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out.
The new stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I
wasn't *seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under
comparable abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage
there.

Craftsman sockets and especially especially the deep ones are
quite easily broken given even rather light usage these days...

These days? I broke two of them removing the oil drain plug on my
1980 Honda, before I finally got an impact socket for it (note--I
wasn't using an impact driver, just a breaker bar).

I have a coffee can about 1/2 full of them because it really
doesn't make much sense to get a replacement that in all
likelyhood is just going to crack and break like it's predecessor,
and this has been a problem ever since Danaher took over and then
promptly offshored much the line....

Every Craftsman hand tool I have is stamped "Made in USA", so if
Danaher has "offshored much of the line" they've done it in the
past year. Sears has other lins that are not Craftsman that are
made offshore, but Craftsman hand tools aren't.

The hand tools marked Sears are the overseas manufactured tools, I
noticed that years ago when I saw them in the stores and they looked
identical to the discount store imported tools.

So you're saying that the forged-in "made in USA" is a lie? Call the
FTC.

he's SAYING that not all Sears tools are "Craftsman" tools.
Only the Craftsman are advertised as "made in the USA".
The cheaper Sears tools(not "Craftsman") are likely NOT made in the USA.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Sears, (now: Is Salvation Army a cult?)

On 12/29/2011 6:12 AM, HeyBub wrote:

In my judgement, the SA got a much bigger bang for their buck and the Red
Cross helped more people.

I've been involved in recovery efforts in quite a number of situations
(altho most out here are tornado or other very severe t-storm-type events).

The various aid groups are coordinated at a high level and have
different missions within the overall recover scheme. The Red Cross is,
as said, dominant in widespread temporary housing and feeding and
assisting triage; those efforts are capital-intensive. SA is secondary
level with some overlap but as noted much of their direct on site aid is
actually support for the other workers.

I'm specifically associated w/ the United Methodists; we are the
"long-term last resort" organization that stays around for months or
even a year for those who, for various reasons, don't qualify for FEMA,
aren't insured, have other problems such as disabilities that prevent
working much or any to do cleanup/repair themselves, etc., etc., etc.,
.... There's a lot going on behind the scenes in these events; the
larger the disaster, the more actual organization required to keep the
volunteers and organizations from simply hindering more than helping
from stumbling all over each other. Those efforts do take more than
simple volunteers alone can manage on the spot and the infrastructure to
support the relief is, like anything else, a real cost. Just to remind
folks there's a lot involved beyond the most obvious that everybody sees.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 2:20 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 29 Dec 2011 05:58:52 GMT, "DoN.
wrote:

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their manufacturer
has changed over the years,I can remember when they came from JH Williams.
that's why their quality has changed.

Back in the early 1970s, the micrometers came from
Scherr-Tumico, and the runout indicator was a Starrett "Last Word"
(probably the worst instrument from Starrett at that time.) Not really
sure who made their combination squares, but they were pretty good.
Lathes at that time were from Atlas, both the 6" and the 12".

No idea who made the ratchet wrenches and sockets, but they were
pretty good back then.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I carried a mechanical digital 1" mic in my truck for years. I picked it
up at HF for ..hummm $19

I was visiting a customer and he just had to show me an identical
mechanical digital 1" mic from Sears, he has paid $109 for.

Bull****
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 9:05 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
"J. wrote in
in.local:

In ,
says...

On 12/28/2011 7:36 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

"Pete wrote in message
.com...

Frank wrote:

On 12/28/2011 3:05 AM, Existential Angst wrote:
"The Daring wrote in
message ...
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits
up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck
with their hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out.
The new stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

[...]

I guess I should have elaborated but you just did. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 4:17 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:20:59 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/28/2011 8:45 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 21:08:33 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sorry you got a bad Crapsman. I've had plenty of bad tools from HF,
including some Pittsburgh flare wrenches that didn't turn flare fittings.
Too loose, they slipped. Your reversible, you maybe could have filed the
burr down? I also had a full pack of AA batteries (alkalines) from HF leak
in the box. My HF electric plug in impact wrench, the switch is flaky, it
loosens but doesn't tighten.

I bought a plastic pack of those about two years ago, and have nine
left. I use them in wireless mice that are on 16 hours a day.

What mice? I've been using Logitech wireless since they first came
out. Not anything fancy, just typical 3-button. Laser now.
Light is always on.
Always wish they had an on/off switch to save the batteries.
Using rechargeable, but it's a hassle changing batteries out pretty
often, maybe every 10 days or so.

--Vic

I have some wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard sets and the keyboard
batteries last much longer. I want a wireless mouse with a recharging
dock, it would make more sense. ^_^

TDD

Logitec makes one as does Microsoft.

I have one..batteries in it are toast. One of these days Ill pop it open
and replace the batteries. The mouse sits in a cradle which is plugged
into a USB port..its both the receiver and charger.

Ill dig it out and post the model number if you want.

Might find one on Ebay.

Gunner

Oh I know of their existence and have used them, I just don't own
one,... yet. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 8:09 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

[...]

Logitech's latest wireless mice have a mini-USB charging connector. You
don't have to stop using them to charge them. I found docks to be a
nuisance.

That's another good sensible idea. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2011 3:29 AM, Robert Green wrote:
"The Daring wrote in message

stuff snipped

I do a lot of telecom and computer network repairs in Walmart and Sam's
Club stores and they do keep track of everything in real time all the
way back to headquarters. It's a lot of fun riding an electric scissors
lift around in the stores pulling network cable or getting to one of the
several network cabinets up on the walls or poles around the stores.
The next time you're in one of the stores, look for a beige or white
steel box about the size of a big microwave oven up on several of the
support poles in the center areas of the store. Those boxes contain one
or more 19" rack mounted network switches and patch panels. There is all
kinds of network gear in those stores including a lot of WiFi stuff.

When they switched over from analog to digital CCTV for in-store monitoring
I got some great deals on Panasonic high-speed PTZ cams and 16CH
multiplexers for $30 to $50 each at auction.

As I am sure you know, they have virtually all critical area under the
watchful eyes of high-res cameras with pretty impressive zoom ranges. And
they actually have people monitoring the cameras, unlike other outfits.
That' OK with me. The more shoplifters they catch, the less they losses
that the customer invariably ends up paying.

What impressed me most is how well the trash bins and the loading docks are
covered. Shoplifting hurts, but employee theft can soon reach very high
dollars levels. A typical inside job consist of an employee who's about to
quit tries pushing a pallet of DVR's or other expensive stuff into the trash
to collect later that night (on his way out of town). Nine times out of ten
they'll be waiting for them because all that stuff is RFID tagged and
silently alerts security when a tagged item goes out in the trash. From
what I was told, they like making an example of those kinds of thieves to
the other employees, some of whom were probably hatching their own schemes.
I read somewhere that this year, gangs of shoplifters from other countries
descended on US shopping malls to execute highly organized shoplifting and
"fake return" scams.

--
Bobby G.

I guy I work with is a big Bama football fan and on a service call in
one of the Walmart stores, tried on a Bama ball cap and forgot he had it
on. He got a call from our corporate contract provider informing him to
return to the store to pay for his cap. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2011 6:58 AM, joevan wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:38:26 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/28/2011 8:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please define "cult" for me.

Isn't that the past tense of going through and throwing out the too
small and bad fish, shrimp or clams. ^_^

TDD

Seems logical but I think it be culled?

I was thinking of Hillbilly English. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, Jim Yanik wrote:

he's SAYING that not all Sears tools are "Craftsman" tools.
Only the Craftsman are advertised as "made in the USA".
The cheaper Sears tools(not "Craftsman") are likely NOT made in the USA.

The difference between quality and crap:

I had to remove the head of a Puch twingle 2 stroke. It had square
head bolts. I had no sockets. I used a SnapOn 10mm open end wrench
slipped endwise down between the fins and on the bolt sq bolt head I
turned it with a crescent wrench on the SnapOn wrench's shaft. Three
bolts broke clean. The fourth finally broke free, but not before I
twisted the shaft of the SnapOn wrench 1/4 turn from the head. When
done, I put it back together and exerted enough force to twist the
SnapOn shaft back straight with the head. I told the owner of the
SnapOn wrenches, which I had borrowed, what happened and if he could
tell me which wrench I twisted, I would replace it. He couldn't.

I had to remove an ignition nut from a Aermacchi 350 (H-D) single. I
used a 10mm CRAFTSMAN open end wrench. Though used in the proper
manner, the top finger snapped clean off. I was 30 miles from the
nearest Sears.

These were both circa '70s wrenches. I think the SnapOn was made by
Bonney, then. Can't say about the Craftsman, but it was the last
Craftsman tool I ever purchased.

I still have 3" JH Williams adjustable wrench, the kind bikers hang on
their key chains. I wore it thusly for 30 yrs and used it hundreds of
times, often to the near breaking point. As bruised, battered, and
mangled as it now is, it will still close tightly on, and hold, a
single layer of rolling paper.

That's quality, guys!

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 10:05 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

he's SAYING that not all Sears tools are "Craftsman" tools.
Only the Craftsman are advertised as "made in the USA".
The cheaper Sears tools(not "Craftsman") are likely NOT made in the USA.

And are not advertised as such, either.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 10:12 AM, james g. keegan jr. wrote:
On 12/29/2011 2:20 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I carried a mechanical digital 1" mic in my truck for years. I picked it
up at HF for ..hummm $19

I was visiting a customer and he just had to show me an identical
mechanical digital 1" mic from Sears, he has paid $109 for.

Bull****

What was your first clue?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, Doug Miller wrote:

What was your first clue?

That Sears has the slightest inkling of what a micrometer is?

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, Doug wrote:

What was your first clue?

That Sears has the slightest inkling of what a micrometer is?

Apparently you're unaware that Sears sells micrometers.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 8:05 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 12/29/2011 10:12 AM, james g. keegan jr. wrote:
On 12/29/2011 2:20 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:

I carried a mechanical digital 1" mic in my truck for years. I picked it
up at HF for ..hummm $19

I was visiting a customer and he just had to show me an identical
mechanical digital 1" mic from Sears, he has paid $109 for.

Bull****

What was your first clue?

The poster.

By default, I consider everything he says to be bull****. If it isn't
bull****, it's plagiarism.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 9:50 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2011-12-29, Jim wrote:

[...]

I have a little Klein 4" plastic coated handle adjustable wrench that I
carry in my pocket along with all sorts of other tools and it's a bit
beat up but I see very little light through the jaws when it's closed.
I've had this one 5 years, the last one was stolen on a job site. I
believe I paid $18.00 for it at an electrical supply house. I sweat like
a thunderstorm during the summer months and tools I carry in my pocket
have to resist the corrosive flood from millions of tiny holes
in my skin. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, Doug Miller wrote:

Apparently you're unaware that Sears sells micrometers.

Not having bought any tools from Sears for over 40 yrs, you may be
right.

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, The Daring Dufas wrote:

I have a little Klein 4" plastic coated handle adjustable wrench that I
carry in my pocket.........

Klein is among the tool companies that once made very high quality
tools. I hope they still do, as I may have need to buy a set of heavy
duty diagonal cutters and I would choose Klein for this particular
tool.

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 8:01 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 12/29/2011 10:05 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

he's SAYING that not all Sears tools are "Craftsman" tools.
Only the Craftsman are advertised as "made in the USA".
The cheaper Sears tools(not "Craftsman") are likely NOT made in the USA.

And are not advertised as such, either.

Not any more - not the product line as a whole. Some individual tools
might be marked "made in USA", but the product line contains some
entirely foreign-made tools, some tools made of American and foreign
components, and some that are assembled here of entirely foreign
components, as well as some entirely American made tools.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5549766_cr...ools-made.html

I'm curious: would the nativist bigots disdain a tool that was entirely
manufactured in the USA from imported steel?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, Doug wrote:

Apparently you're unaware that Sears sells micrometers.

Not having bought any tools from Sears for over 40 yrs, you may be
right.

How do you know he hasn't bought any tools from Sears for over 40 years?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, Doug wrote:

Apparently you're unaware that Sears sells micrometers.

Not having bought any tools from Sears for over 40 yrs, you may be
right.

In that case, perhaps you shouldn't make comments on subjects that -- by
your own admission -- you know nothing about.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 1:22 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 12/29/2011 7:01 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
"J. wrote in
in.local:

These days? I broke two of them removing the oil drain plug on my
1980 Honda, before I finally got an impact socket for it (note--I
wasn't using an impact driver, just a breaker bar).

amazing that you didn't tear the threads out of the pan instead of
breaking
a socket. SOMEbody shoulda been using a torque wrench on that plug.
Probably needed a new crush washer too,so it would not need to be
tightened
so tight to prevent leaking.

LMMFAO!! a torque wrench on a drain plug!! oooooooo kayy.

Yes, to prevent overtightening.

Let me guess: you use an impact wrench.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 10:58*pm, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. *If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. *I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

We did this all to ourselves...we accepted crap (most of us) and now
that's all we have...crap!

How many of us borrowed a pair of "lock-jaw" pliers (non-Peterson) and
have a blood blister from its use to show for it?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Barker" wrote in message

LMMFAO!! a torque wrench on a drain plug!! oooooooo kayy.

--
Steve Barker

Keep your ape paws off MY Honda.

jsw

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/29/2011 1:33 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 20:01:31 -0600, "Pete
wrote:

K-Mart did not allow Salvation Army kettle volunteers outside their

stores.
Walmart not only allowed Salvation Army solicitations, but tasked their
employees to ring the bell if not enough SA folks were available.

People notice things like that.

Indeed we do, and I avoid doing business with places that allow cults to
operate on their property and harass their customers. BTW, for anyone
who thinks the SA is not a cult, do a bit of research and report back.

Did you avoid airports that allowed Hare Krishna followers?

...just askin...

Ever see the movie "Miami Blues?" There's a great scene about dealing with
the HK's in airports.

--
Bobby G.

yeah, there's a scene in AIRPLANE showing how to deal with them also.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 12/28/2011 8:28 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please define "cult" for me.

Isn't that the past tense of going through and throwing out the too
small and bad fish, shrimp or clams. ^_^

TDD

Seems logical but I think it be culled?

I was thinking of Hillbilly English. ^_^

TDD

Oh, then you might like this page.
http://www.wvculture.org/history/jou...h/wvh30-2.html

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, Doug Miller wrote:

In that case, perhaps you shouldn't make comments on subjects that -- by
your own admission -- you know nothing about.

I know junk when I use it. You gonna try and convince anyone here Craftsman has
improved in the last 40 yrs?

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, Doug wrote:

In that case, perhaps you shouldn't make comments on subjects that -- by
your own admission -- you know nothing about.

I know junk when I use it. You gonna try and convince anyone here Craftsman has
improved in the last 40 yrs?

Craftsman hand tools weren't junk 40 years ago, and they aren't junk now
-- your irrational biases notwithstanding.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Sears credit rating is going down it made the news today......

They should declare bankruptcy, and put k mart out of business
entirely.

sears might recover if it could stand alone

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 4:20 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 12/29/2011 9:16 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
On 12/29/2011 1:22 PM, Steve Barker wrote:
On 12/29/2011 7:01 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
"J. wrote in
in.local:

These days? I broke two of them removing the oil drain plug on my
1980 Honda, before I finally got an impact socket for it (note--I
wasn't using an impact driver, just a breaker bar).

amazing that you didn't tear the threads out of the pan instead of
breaking
a socket. SOMEbody shoulda been using a torque wrench on that plug.
Probably needed a new crush washer too,so it would not need to be
tightened
so tight to prevent leaking.

LMMFAO!! a torque wrench on a drain plug!! oooooooo kayy.

Yes, to prevent overtightening.

Let me guess: you use an impact wrench.

no, dougy, having done about 40,000 oil changes, i tend to know how to
tighten a drain plug. Thanks for playing!

You and about ten thousand other monkeys in service stations around the
nation, stevie. Every used car that I've ever bought has had the drain
plug vastly over-tightened by some ham-fisted clown like you who thinks
that he knows "how to tighten a drain plug."

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/29/2011 10:10 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Steve wrote in message

LMMFAO!! a torque wrench on a drain plug!! oooooooo kayy.

--
Steve Barker

Keep your ape paws off MY Honda.

jsw

you can count on me. I refuse to work on furrin' junk.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/28/2011 10:23 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.
Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their manufacturer
has changed over the years,I can remember when they came from JH Williams.
that's why their quality has changed.

I bought a big Craftsman tool set a year ago. The quarter-inch ratchet
didn't ratchet. The 3/8" open-end wrench was too small to fit around a
3/8" hex. The rolled label on one of the Torx bits was all messed up.
The labels on the sockets are barely readable.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-29, Doug Miller wrote:

-- your irrational biases notwithstanding.

What do "irrational biases" have to do with a wrench which breaks
when used for its intended purpose? The nut I was trying to loosen
hadn't loosened, the corners of the nut were not rounding, the wrench
broke! You can spin it however you like. Tools that break under
normal usage are junk.

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 29, 4:45*pm, Matt wrote:

I bought a big Craftsman tool set a year ago. *The quarter-inch ratchet
didn't ratchet. *The 3/8" open-end wrench was too small to fit around a
3/8" hex. *The rolled label on one of the Torx bits was all messed up.
The labels on the sockets are barely readable.

I trust you took those tools back to Sears. How did they treat you?

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

I've had experiences (shock absorbers on the back of a Chevrolet) where
impact gun removed the nut, and breaker bar sheared off the stud. As to the
oil drain plug, impact wrench might have been the correct tool.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

4...

Miss me? Steve B[_3_] Metalworking 5 February 22nd 10 04:40 AM
Sears Tools Stuart & Kathryn Fields Metalworking 42 November 20th 07 09:34 AM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Sears--Kmart--Craftsman Tools dteckie Woodworking 0 September 5th 06 11:10 AM
Sears-->Kmart-->Craftsman Tools Keith Nuttle Woodworking 25 November 22nd 04 06:16 PM