Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

On 12/29/2011 9:50 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2011-12-29, Jim wrote:

he's SAYING that not all Sears tools are "Craftsman" tools.
Only the Craftsman are advertised as "made in the USA".
The cheaper Sears tools(not "Craftsman") are likely NOT made in the USA.

The difference between quality and crap:

I had to remove the head of a Puch twingle 2 stroke. It had square
head bolts. I had no sockets. I used a SnapOn 10mm open end wrench
slipped endwise down between the fins and on the bolt sq bolt head I
turned it with a crescent wrench on the SnapOn wrench's shaft. Three
bolts broke clean. The fourth finally broke free, but not before I
twisted the shaft of the SnapOn wrench 1/4 turn from the head. When
done, I put it back together and exerted enough force to twist the
SnapOn shaft back straight with the head. I told the owner of the
SnapOn wrenches, which I had borrowed, what happened and if he could
tell me which wrench I twisted, I would replace it. He couldn't.

I had to remove an ignition nut from a Aermacchi 350 (H-D) single. I
used a 10mm CRAFTSMAN open end wrench. Though used in the proper
manner, the top finger snapped clean off. I was 30 miles from the
nearest Sears.

These were both circa '70s wrenches. I think the SnapOn was made by
Bonney, then. Can't say about the Craftsman, but it was the last
Craftsman tool I ever purchased.

I still have 3" JH Williams adjustable wrench, the kind bikers hang on
their key chains. I wore it thusly for 30 yrs and used it hundreds of
times, often to the near breaking point. As bruised, battered, and
mangled as it now is, it will still close tightly on, and hold, a
single layer of rolling paper.

That's quality, guys!

nb

I have a little Klein 4" plastic coated handle adjustable wrench that I
carry in my pocket along with all sorts of other tools and it's a bit
beat up but I see very little light through the jaws when it's closed.
I've had this one 5 years, the last one was stolen on a job site. I
believe I paid $18.00 for it at an electrical supply house. I sweat like
a thunderstorm during the summer months and tools I carry in my pocket
have to resist the corrosive flood from millions of tiny holes
in my skin. ^_^

TDD