Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

I've had experiences (shock absorbers on the back of a Chevrolet) where
impact gun removed the nut, and breaker bar sheared off the stud. As to the
oil drain plug, impact wrench might have been the correct tool.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"J. Clarke" wrote in
in.local:

These days? I broke two of them removing the oil drain plug on my
1980 Honda, before I finally got an impact socket for it (note--I
wasn't using an impact driver, just a breaker bar).

amazing that you didn't tear the threads out of the pan instead of breaking
a socket. SOMEbody shoulda been using a torque wrench on that plug.
Probably needed a new crush washer too,so it would not need to be tightened
so tight to prevent leaking.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik