Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears, I'll miss the tools

I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....
--
EA

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"oldyork90" wrote in message
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I
hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

You might want to RE-READ the story!

"Sears, which has more than 4,000 full-line and specialty retail
stores"...

"said yesterday that it will close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores"

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...ales-fall.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 6:21*am, "Bill" wrote:
"oldyork90" wrote in message
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. *If Sears goes tits up, I
hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. *I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

You might want to RE-READ the story!

"Sears, which has more than 4,000 full-line and specialty retail
stores"...

"said yesterday that it will close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores"

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...2/28/sears-kma...

sears sold off craftsman tools and most other assets years ago...
thats why craftsman tools are available in all sorts of stores today.

sears sold off craftsman, were trying to sell off the kenmore brand,
coldwell banker real estate, allstate insurance, their fiancial
services / credit card unit and others.

this created lots of $$ for shareholders.......

the downside, these assets kept the retailer afloat when business
would get bad for sears retail.

rumor has it sears will go bankrupt soon, as the article describes
they were borrowing money over christmas, normally a cash cow time of
year.

sears lost me as a customer years ago. intrusive attempts to push
credit cards at the registers without enough help to check out
customers. long lines formed. i once left a bunch of expensive tools
at a backed up register, and told a store manager here these are
yours ..... i went to the nearby home depot and bought essentially the
same tools for much less...... is sears a retailer or a credit card
provider pick ONE

in fixing up my moms home for sale i had her sears furnace with air
serviced. they charged 2 travel charges for the same tech to swap tool
kits at his truck.

its ripoffs like this that drove me away from sears. they dropped the
satisfaction guaranteed or your money back policy too.

sears where america no longer shops at.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2011 6:21 AM, Bill wrote:
"oldyork90" wrote in message
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

You might want to RE-READ the story!

"Sears, which has more than 4,000 full-line and specialty retail stores"...

"said yesterday that it will close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores"

i.e. less than 3% -- probably not nearly enough, IMHO.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...ales-fall.html

I noticed this comment by one analyst quoted in the article: “The only
reason why people buy at Kmart is because it’s close. No one would buy
at Kmart if they’re closer to a Walmart or Target."

It brought to mind something I'd read about ten years ago, that
WalMart's market research showed that something like one-third of the
people shopping at WalMart drove past a Kmart to get there.

I haven't been inside a Kmart for years. There used to be one about five
minutes from home, but it closed around 2002, and now I don't even know
where the nearest one is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

sears sold off craftsman tools and most other assets years ago...
thats why craftsman tools are available in all sorts of stores today.

Not exacly

Craftsman is a line of tools and lawn and garden equipment controlled by
Sears Holdings Corporation; the brand is owned by KCD IP, LLC, a special
purpose entity created by Sears Holdings forsecuritization purposes.[1]

The tools are sold in Sears, Kmart, and Orchard Supply Hardware stores (all
three owned by Sears Holdings), as well as Fastenal,[2] US military Army and
Air Force Exchange Service stores, andAce Hardware.[3][4]

The Craftsman Industrial line is sold by industrial supplier W. W.
Grainger[5].

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Dec 27, 11:58*pm, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. *If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. *I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Eh, I'm pretty much indifferent on the issue. Friend of mine got a
basic Kobalt mechanic's tool set (basically sockets, ratchets,
combination wrenches, and hex keys) for Christmas, and quite frankly,
after handling the ratchets and sockets, I think they feel nicer than
the basic non-polished Craftsman stuff. The Kobalt ratchets are fully
polished and feel like they operate more smoothly, and the sockets are
laser-etched (kinda gimmicky, but still) and have red/blue inlaid
paint bands to differentiate SAE and metric. Now I didn't whip out my
calipers and measure any of the sockets for closeness to specified
size, but other than that they seem to be very good for less money.
I'm not about to go out and buy one, having all of the tools included
already (mostly Craftsman, some S-K, Proto etc. a lot of it harvested
from yard sales) but were I starting from ground zero and not wanting
to pay pro-level prices, I'd be tempted to buy the Kobalt. And Lowe's
is more convenient than Sears.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

"oldyork90" wrote in message
[...]

I have one a Kmart a couple miles from my house. It's about 15
mins to Walmart, so I'll go to Kmart once in a while for
convenience if I need a particular item right away. The Kmart is
much smaller and older than the Walmarts.

Last year just before Xmas I was in there and the cash registers
were running extremely slow, with people backed up. Just as
I made it to pay, they decided to reboot the whole system. At
that point, they should have just told everyone that it's going to
take the better part of an hour, because that's how long it takes
to reboot the whole system. As part of the reboot, they have ot
be brought back up one register at a time. The thing was
a very old IBM system, guessing it's at least 25 years old.
From listening to the cashiers, the system being slow or
crapping out isn't uncommon.

I waited about 30 mins before I finally went up to the manager
and asked if I could just leave the items and come back later.
They gave me a bag and I put my name on it. Soon almost
everyone else was doing the same thing.

I saw the same thing happen again a couple months later.
And I only go there maybe once every couple months.
That article says that Wall Street analysts say Kmart hasn't
invested in their stores to keep them current. Seems spot
on to me. It's interesting how a company like Kmart can
sit around for decades and let a competitor like Walmart
emerge and sink them. Older store, less choices, longer
lines, cash registers that don't work, what do they expect?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-28, oldyork90 wrote:

they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Luck is exactly what you've had. Lucky they didn't break on you when
you needed them the most. I quit buying Craftsman tools 40 yrs when I
became a professional mechanic and the closest Sears was 90 miles
away. They're junk.

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm going to miss the Craftsman line, too.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Bill" wrote in message

You might want to RE-READ the story!

"Sears, which has more than 4,000 full-line and specialty retail
stores"...

"said yesterday that it will close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores"

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...ales-fall.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Did the manager promptly try to sell you a MA (Maintenance Agreement) on the
tools you left behind? That would be the Shears way.

They lost me in 1996 when I worked for them, for four weeks and two days.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears, Kmart, and Target compared

I find that Kmart and Target are both retail stores, which is reasonable.
Walmart, tends to be light weight, less quality items for lower prices.

I've been in Kmart, the last few months. I was looking for a fairly
specialized item. Found one close enough in Target, actually. One friend of
mine loves the blue jeans that Kmart sells.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug Miller" wrote in message

I noticed this comment by one analyst quoted in the article: “The only
reason why people buy at Kmart is because it’s close. No one would buy
at Kmart if they’re closer to a Walmart or Target."

It brought to mind something I'd read about ten years ago, that
WalMart's market research showed that something like one-third of the
people shopping at WalMart drove past a Kmart to get there.

I haven't been inside a Kmart for years. There used to be one about five
minutes from home, but it closed around 2002, and now I don't even know
where the nearest one is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/11 07:07 am, Doug Miller wrote:

I noticed this comment by one analyst quoted in the article: “The only
reason why people buy at Kmart is because it’s close. No one would buy
at Kmart if they’re closer to a Walmart or Target."

It brought to mind something I'd read about ten years ago, that
WalMart's market research showed that something like one-third of the
people shopping at WalMart drove past a Kmart to get there.

I haven't been inside a Kmart for years. There used to be one about five
minutes from home, but it closed around 2002, and now I don't even know
where the nearest one is.

There was a KMart not too far away from our former home, and we shopped
there once or twice but quite because the experiences were so bad. Until
two or three years ago there was a KMart not far from our present home,
and we shopped there when they had something decent on sale, but my
opinion of them plummeted even further when on one occasion I tried to
exit through the garden section (which would have brought me closer to
where I had parked my car) and found that despite the illuminated Exit
sign the doors were locked -- probably illegal.

Sears was one of the anchor stores in our local shopping mall, but it
closed maybe five years ago. There is now a small Sears dealer store not
too far away, and we've bought sale items there.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/2011 7:05 AM, bob haller wrote:

sears sold off craftsman tools and most other assets years ago...

Untrue. The holding company that owns Sears and Kmart also owns the
Craftsman trademark.

thats why craftsman tools are available in all sorts of stores today.

Also untrue.

sears sold off craftsman

Also untrue. Remainder snipped; clearly, you have no clue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 9:47*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
K-Mart did not allow Salvation Army kettle volunteers outside their stores.
Walmart not only allowed Salvation Army solicitations, but tasked their
employees to ring the bell if not enough SA folks were available.

People notice things like that.

No, they don't.

If that's what you claim as the reason for Kmart's decline, you have a
seriously warped view of the world.

If you walk in a Walmart, it's bright, clean, modern. Merchandise
stacked to the ceiling. With the exception of inner-city stores, the
staff at the checkout are clean, cheery, efficient, and helpful.

Go in a Kmart, and step back in time to 1982. Most of them haven't
been cleaned since 1982 either. Half the checkout staff appear to have
eaten large quantities of lead paint as children. They're slow,
untrained, crotchety, and clearly do NOT want to be there.

I don't know how they whip Walmart employees into feeling good and
acting positively for such a low-paying job. Maybe they're just
selective about who they hire, and Kmart simply can't find anyone to
work for them, so they hire anyone who can stagger through the front
door.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their manufacturer
has changed over the years,I can remember when they came from JH Williams.
that's why their quality has changed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 10:54*am, "Stormin Mormon"
I find that Kmart and Target are both retail stores, which is reasonable.
Walmart, tends to be light weight, less quality items for lower prices.

I've been in Kmart, the last few months. I was looking for a fairly
specialized item. *Found one close enough in Target, actually. One friend of
mine loves the blue jeans that Kmart sells.

Wow, I've never found ANYTHING to buy in a Target. I only go in there
if I'm in too good of a mood and need to be disappointed.

Kmart has decent furniture, and they are the only ones that sell work
pants that fit properly. Otherwise I would not go in there at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 28, 9:23*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote :

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. *If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. *I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their manufacturer
has changed over the years,I can remember when they came from JH Williams..
that's why their quality has changed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

Western Forge, just south of here in CO. That's the Craftsman branded
ones, their other cheapies are from wherever, probably chinkland these
days. See:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Forge

So US-made, but to a price.

Stan
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

But you followed your point with a Preposition?-------
Sears, where America no longer shops.

How about this.
The spider crawled slowly the banister along .
Sounds better now. : o )
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Sears put the second foot in the grave when they merged with
the loser company Kmart.

--
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last."
~Winston Churchill

“Islam is the crack cocaine of religion” ~John Bodart

On September 11, Muslims in England were burning American
flags and calling for the overthrow of the United States. They
call Islam a Religion of Peace, but it's more like a Religion Of
Psychos. ~John Bodart
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. The profit taking that resulted in their
lower selection and greater number of listed items out of stock doesn't
leave them in much of a position to pick up market share. Wal-Mart will
likely continue to expand though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

Throw me down the stairs my hat.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"oldyork90" wrote in message
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Ace currently sells Craftsman.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
"oldyork90" wrote in message
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

You might want to RE-READ the story!

"Sears, which has more than 4,000 full-line and specialty retail
stores"...

"said yesterday that it will close 100 to 120 Sears and Kmart stores"

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...ales-fall.html

"You can see a lot by observing." - Yogi Berra -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/28/11 11:50 am, joevan wrote:

sears where america no longer shops at.....

But you followed your point with a Preposition?-------
Sears, where America no longer shops.

How about this.
The spider crawled slowly the banister along .
Sounds better now. : o )

Looks as though it was written by someone whose native language is
Hindi, which has postpositions rather than prepositions.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob haller" wrote in message

[...]

Is hat a preposition or a prop o sition?
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 28, 10:10*am, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in message

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. *If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. *I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. *The profit taking that resulted in their
lower selection and greater number of listed items out of stock doesn't
leave them in much of a position to pick up market share. *Wal-Mart will
likely continue to expand though.

Ace is carrying Craftsman, for those that have an Ace store around.
Don't know that that line of tools is any better than Ace's brand. At
least Ace sells onesies instead of just sets. And wally world just
doesn't have a lot for tools, they carry some Stanley stuff, but no
onesies and not a lot of mechanic's stuff. Short fractional wrench
sets and a few hammers is about it around here. No sockets at all and
no metrics. The chain auto parts places have a much better selection
than either Ace or wally world.

Stan

Posted to alt.home.repair

You know, editors and people who can type correctly are rare, to find.

A sentence was missing a comma
The Usenet, dissolved into drama
The OP wrote he dint gib no f-ck
It was just his bad luck
The net nanny it was his momma!

Before the sad typist was back in the saddle
His Mama did give him a dose of the paddle
He turned his back
She gave him a whack
And now, he's back to typing his prattle
(C) 2011, Stormin Mormon

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"joevan" wrote in message

sears where america no longer shops at.....

But you followed your point with a Preposition?-------
Sears, where America no longer shops.

How about this.
The spider crawled slowly the banister along .
Sounds better now. : o )

Posted to alt.home.repair

A sentence, he followed his preposition with
His schooling and education was simply a myth
He dint no how to rite
His punctuation was it a sight
He dint gib no care about the punctuation with

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"joevan" wrote in message
But you followed your point with a Preposition?-------
Sears, where America no longer shops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll throw your fat down the stairs, if you call me a hat, again.

Christopher A. Young
"nobody's hat"
..

"willshak" wrote in message
m...

How about this.
The spider crawled slowly the banister along .
Sounds better now. : o )

Throw me down the stairs my hat.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bob wrote in message

[...]

No, it's Yoda speak. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/28/2011 9:10 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

I could be wrong, but I doubt it. The profit taking that resulted in
their lower selection and greater number of listed items out of stock
doesn't leave them in much of a position to pick up market share.
Wal-Mart will likely continue to expand though.

That would really be a shame if Sears were to disappear. I agree,
Craftsman tools are one of the best buys for do-it-yourselfers who don't
need top of the line tools but want good tools for weekend work around
the house.

I can remember when Sears was the biggest retailer in the world, as well
as when K-mart first displaced them; Wal-Mart was #3 then. I always
hated K-mart, the same as I hate Wal-Mart today: junky products badly
stocked - **** just tumbling off the shelves into the aisles - and an
utterly trashy, down-market clientele. Particularly in Southern
California, who among those who were adults 25 years ago can forget that
priceless gag:

Q. What are the first English words learned by Hispanic children?

A. "Attention, K-mart shoppers..."

Sears stores are still far more pleasant places, have better products,
and a much better product mix than Wal-Mart. Their sales associates are
also much nicer and more knowledgeable. One place I don't quite get is
their Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) subsidiary, which also carry
Craftsman tools and other high quality products. The stores are very
nice and far more accessible in every way than Home Depot, but the
employees...yikes...they all seem like people who failed the drug test
at Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 28, 10:23*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote :

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. *If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. *I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their manufacturer
has changed over the years,I can remember when they came from JH Williams..
that's why their quality has changed.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
localnet
dot com

According to the annual reports that I have gotten for many years,
Danaher, Inc. has very proudly been the manufacturer and supplier of
both Craftsman and Matco hand tools, the latter being a professional
line competitive with SnapOn. Perhaps Williams was involved back in
the 1940"s.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

"The Daring wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.

Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

From what I read lately, HF tools are probably just as good.

Honestly, I haven't broken any Craftsman or HF hand tool that I wasn't
*seriously* abusing. I have seen Snap-On tools break under comparable
abuse, so I'm not sure there is any real advantage there.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Yanik wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in
:

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message
On 12/27/2011 10:58 PM, oldyork90 wrote:
I'm reading bad news about Sears/KMart. If Sears goes tits up, I hope
they hand off the Craftsman line. I always had good luck with their
hand tools.
Don't worry, some Chinese holding company will buy them out. The new
stores will be Shears and Claymart. ^_^

Or, equivalently, HF will expand.....

Craftsman tools come from some other toolmaker anyways. their manufacturer
has changed over the years,I can remember when they came from JH Williams.
that's why their quality has changed.

Currently they are made by the Danaher Corporation Group and Western Forge.

--
Steve W.

Miss me? Steve B[_3_] Metalworking 5 February 22nd 10 04:40 AM
Sears Tools Stuart & Kathryn Fields Metalworking 42 November 20th 07 09:34 AM
tools, air tools, power tools, hand tools, cordeless tool 4qO3HN tim Electronics Repair 0 February 21st 07 08:34 PM
Sears--Kmart--Craftsman Tools dteckie Woodworking 0 September 5th 06 11:10 AM
Sears-->Kmart-->Craftsman Tools Keith Nuttle Woodworking 25 November 22nd 04 06:16 PM