Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good HD experience

I live in a rural area and the nearest "shopping" town is 20 miles
away. The town has a Lowes and a Home Depot. The Lowes was there
first, so I got into the habit of shopping there and continued to do
so after the HD opened about 5 years ago.

Last week, on a whim, I decided to try the HD when I needed some
lumber for a barn repair I was working on. HD had two grades (higher
and lower) of the lumber I needed. Since this was a barn repair, the
lesser grade would work well, but there wasn't enough of it. I asked
the department manager if they had any more in stock. He checked and
said no, but they would have a delivery in two days and suggested I
come back then.

I told him that I was in the middle of a project and that it was a 40
mile round trip. He said "no problem", just take the higher grade
lumber and he would charge me the lower-grade price.

I was impressed with that. At Lowes, I wouldn't have been able to
even find a manager. I'm a HD fan now.

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2011 8:06 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

Mom & pop "rip off"? I can go to the local lumber yard and buy better
quality lumber for less. No need to sort through stacks of low quality
"utility grade" (or whatever it is called) at the big box. I asked the
local place why and she told me it isn't by accident. They order better
quality.

Last time I needed a quantity of lumber I emailed her my list. Next day
it was in the driveway at no additional charge and every piece was good.
Neighbor is a big box cheerleader and he saw the lumber and remarked
"you must have been all day at the "depot" picking this out".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

Hi,
In my neighborhood shopping complex HD and Lowes face each other across
a road. Often I visit both outfits same day browsing, comparing prices
and buying some things I need.

At HD price is lower than Lowes, staff members are friendly willing to help.
At Lowes most prices are higher than HD staffs often gather around
chit-chatting not paying attention to customers in need of some help.
Do not feel like spending money there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

I shop all over for materials, most times if I need any quantity, I often
buy at wholesalers rather than retailers.

Recently I wanted some Trex deck material, Lowes was $6.50 per 12 foot piece
more than our local Rona (a Canadian not so big box home center) for 18
pieces. I also needed some 12 foot pieces of 2 x 10 red cedar. HD and Lowes
don't carry 2 x 10s, a large local lumber yard had it, good price, but
better lumber than I have ever found at HD or Lowes. It was straight, hardly
any knots, no rough areas, no bark edges, plus delivered at no extra charge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 8:06*am, Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

does your HD have the new security cameras / monitors?

They are so annoying, beeping, flashing strobe lights with my picture,
and the flashing red message you are being recorded...

I dont mind being recorded, but refuse to see my picture as I walk
thru the store.

I will no longer shop at home depot, lowes is my new store....

I must of spent 30 grand over the last number of years, so they drove
me and my money away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Home Depot in pittsburgh has rolled out the latest in security.

monitors with cameras every 20 to 30 feet, showing me on a monitor as
i walk down the aisles, flashing a red message on the camera you are
being recorded, with a annoying beep from the monitor and a small
strobe light flashing every 30 seconds or so....

of course the store has little help, this attempt to prevent retail
theft has added home depot to my select list of places not to shop
at......

more employees would equal less theft

i now go to lowes.

the home depot would have less theft and better customer service if
they had staff in the store.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 1:06*pm, Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

In the UK the timber they sell is 99% crap. Expensive crap. You have
to sort through a whole pile to find reasonable stuff in the local DIY
sort of places. Even in a proper timber merchant you need to watch
what you get.
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller writes:

Home Depot in pittsburgh has rolled out the latest in security.

monitors with cameras every 20 to 30 feet, showing me on a monitor as
i walk down the aisles, flashing a red message on the camera you are
being recorded, with a annoying beep from the monitor and a small
strobe light flashing every 30 seconds or so....

You think will all those cameras and monitors, they could install a couple
of "help needed" buttons?

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:06:48 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote Re Good HD experience:

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

does your HD have the new security cameras / monitors?

I didn't notice any cameras or monitors, but I wasn't looking for
them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 10:24:41 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

more employees would equal less theft

Giggle. I know the cure for crime already.

Abolish all criminal laws. No more crime.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:38:57 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

My HD has "Help Needed" buttons. Not long ago, in the tool section, I poked
one. A red light flashed. A beeper went off. Everything by a steam calliope
playing the Star Spangled Banner! In a nonce a orange-bedecked employee
appeared! You won't believe what happened next.

He turned off the beeper and walked away!

That's exactly what he did; he turned off the beeper and walked away.

I follwed him to the key-making desk and asked what that was all about. His
response: "We are under strict orders to respond to calls for assistance
right away."

"I don't think you're grasping the bigger picture here," I replied.

chuckle Did you go back and poke the button again?

How does a guy like that live in Texas?!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Good HD experience:

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

does your HD have the new security cameras / monitors?

I didn't notice any cameras or monitors, but I wasn't looking for
them.

you cant miss these at just below eye level beeping and flashing and
very irritating espically with no employees around.....

they need help buttons and more important the staff to respond to
them.

HD here stocks only at night when closed, and has cut staff so low its
basically a big box saying please steal from us
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm a small business, and I believe in supporting small
business when possible. Sounds like you, too, believe in
small business.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"George" wrote in message

Mom & pop "rip off"? I can go to the local lumber yard and
buy better
quality lumber for less. No need to sort through stacks of
low quality
"utility grade" (or whatever it is called) at the big box. I
asked the
local place why and she told me it isn't by accident. They
order better
quality.

Last time I needed a quantity of lumber I emailed her my
list. Next day
it was in the driveway at no additional charge and every
piece was good.
Neighbor is a big box cheerleader and he saw the lumber and
remarked
"you must have been all day at the "depot" picking this
out".

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm seeing a trend. I havn't spent a lot of time in hardware
stores, but I've also found HD people to be helpful and
knowledgable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
In my neighborhood shopping complex HD and Lowes face each
other across
a road. Often I visit both outfits same day browsing,
comparing prices
and buying some things I need.

At HD price is lower than Lowes, staff members are friendly
willing to help.
At Lowes most prices are higher than HD staffs often gather
around
chit-chatting not paying attention to customers in need of
some help.
Do not feel like spending money there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The same type of people work in old age homes. I hope you
pushed the button, again, repeatedly until you got the
service you desired.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

My HD has "Help Needed" buttons. Not long ago, in the tool
section, I poked
one. A red light flashed. A beeper went off. Everything by a
steam calliope
playing the Star Spangled Banner! In a nonce a
orange-bedecked employee
appeared! You won't believe what happened next.

He turned off the beeper and walked away!

That's exactly what he did; he turned off the beeper and
walked away.

I follwed him to the key-making desk and asked what that was
all about. His
response: "We are under strict orders to respond to calls
for assistance
right away."

"I don't think you're grasping the bigger picture here," I
replied.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 07:06:20 -0600, Caesar Romano
wrote:

I was impressed with that. At Lowes, I wouldn't have been able to
even find a manager. I'm a HD fan now.

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

I'm glad you are happy, but - - -

It all depends on the store and manager. I've been to a bunch of both
stores and some are good, others suck. I can't say that one is better
than the other overall.

As for the mom and pop stores, some were rip off, others are great.
Reasonable prices and great service. I used to live near one like
that. I'd go in and tell the owner "I'm going down to cut some pipe".
Half hour later I'd take my cut and threaded pieces to the counter and
pay a fair price. Try that at the big box stores.

We have a smallish regional chain of Aubuchon Hardware stores around
here (New England). The typical store size is probably 1/10th the
size of the big guys, but they always have the odd ball part you need.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

It's the luck of the draw whenever you shop. The lumber is graded but
varies a lot, the employees, it's variable as to who shows up for work
on what day and what they had for breakfast and if their football team
won or lost the big game. And finally there is always the latest
company idea how best to serve their customers, whatever best might be.
It is what it is, nothing more. You don't get much in the way of
help when paying minimum wages with few benefits.
I don't know if they are still doing it but at Lowe's once the checker
had 5 or 6 people stacked up, and was looking through a catalog for some
kind of knobs or something, they had implemented a policy of the
checkers ordering special items or something like that, so the customers
wouldn't have to go to the service desk. Whatever.... it's the
system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote Re Good HD experience:

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

does your HD have the new security cameras / monitors?

I didn't notice any cameras or monitors, but I wasn't looking for
them.

you cant miss these at just below eye level beeping and flashing and
very irritating espically with no employees around.....

No, definitely didn't see any such cameras around. And there were
lots of employees asking if I needed any help finding something.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 22:35:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote
Re Good HD experience:

wrote:

I was impressed with that. At Lowes, I wouldn't have been able to
even find a manager. I'm a HD fan now.

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

I'm glad you are happy, but - - -

It all depends on the store and manager. I've been to a bunch of both
stores and some are good, others suck. I can't say that one is better
than the other overall.

Yes, I think you are right about that. I've only been to this
small-town HD and one down in Tampa FL. The Tampa HD was awful.

As for the mom and pop stores, some were rip off, others are great.

Also very true. Unfortunately our former local (one and only) family
owned store used it's only-guy-in-town position to charge outrageous
prices and provide poor service. At that time (15 years ago) the
nearest alternative was 40 miles away. When Lowes, and then HD, came
to town the family joint lasted about 1 year and then closed.

They hand never built customer loyalty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

I was impressed with that. At Lowes, I wouldn't have been able to
even find a manager. I'm a HD fan now.

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

There are two mom-and-pop hw stores, both Ace, that I will always shop
at when I can. Given, I'm not investing thousands in a major project,
but they will find whatever I am looking for and I don't have to search
out a clerk...the local Ace has folks at the door the moment I enter.
It takes away the fun, a little bit, because I pride myself in knowing
what I want and how to find it ) The local Ace has been around for 40
or 50 years. Of course, the HD in Florida had clerks who got to know us
because we shopped there so much and that was pretty cool. I'm not into
brand loyalty, but for Barnes and Noble, which will never get another
dime from me )
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My HD has "Help Needed" buttons. Not long ago, in the tool section, I poked
one. A red light flashed. A beeper went off. Everything by a steam calliope
playing the Star Spangled Banner! In a nonce a orange-bedecked employee
appeared! You won't believe what happened next.

He turned off the beeper and walked away!

That's exactly what he did; he turned off the beeper and walked away.

I follwed him to the key-making desk and asked what that was all about. His
response: "We are under strict orders to respond to calls for assistance
right away."

"I don't think you're grasping the bigger picture here," I replied.

chuckle Did you go back and poke the button again?

How does a guy like that live in Texas?!

One of HB's NOLA refugees, undoubtedly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was impressed with that. At Lowes, I wouldn't have been able to
even find a manager. I'm a HD fan now.

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

I'm glad you are happy, but - - -

It all depends on the store and manager. I've been to a bunch of both
stores and some are good, others suck. I can't say that one is better
than the other overall.

Agreed, but it seems to be a regional thing (not just a single store). I shop
at the Lowes here more than 75% of the time.

As for the mom and pop stores, some were rip off, others are great.
Reasonable prices and great service. I used to live near one like
that. I'd go in and tell the owner "I'm going down to cut some pipe".
Half hour later I'd take my cut and threaded pieces to the counter and
pay a fair price. Try that at the big box stores.

When I was in VT, the local lumber yard left their PT lumber in the mud. Not
only was the stuff a mess to work with but it looked like pretzels. Some of
their molding was quite nice, since they kept it inside but it was *very*
pricey. The finally went out of business. No loss.

We have a smallish regional chain of Aubuchon Hardware stores around
here (New England). The typical store size is probably 1/10th the
size of the big guys, but they always have the odd ball part you need.

I never liked the (then) local Aubuchons, though they were the only game in
the neighborhood. A Lowes opened up a couple of miles from where I used to
live, so I doubt I'd ever go to Aubuchons, were I still living there. There
only choice here is HD or Lowes, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My small town Pro, I think it is. Hardware. Nice people, and
know what they are doing. The products are often 20 to 30%
higher price than the big box store, but for me it's well
worth it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/08/11 05:38 pm, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My small town Pro, I think it is. Hardware. Nice people, and
know what they are doing. The products are often 20 to 30%
higher price than the big box store, but for me it's well
worth it.

I went to my local hardware store/lumber yard a couple of times for
old-style moldings that Lowe's and HD did not have -- nothing fancy but
a now-non-standard size. Very good and not expensive. But I want there
again looking for a tool I could not find at Lowe's or HD or Menard's
and noticed a Stanley "WonderBar" priced at $11.xx. It was $8.xx at
Lowe's, and the one I had at home still had the Menard's $5.99 price
sticker on it -- bought not more than a year or two previously and
almost certainly when it was on sale for even less than the sticker
price. And all were made in China.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

wrote:
bob haller writes:

Home Depot in pittsburgh has rolled out the latest in security.

monitors with cameras every 20 to 30 feet, showing me on a monitor
as i walk down the aisles, flashing a red message on the camera you
are being recorded, with a annoying beep from the monitor and a
small strobe light flashing every 30 seconds or so....

You think will all those cameras and monitors, they could install a
couple of "help needed" buttons?

My HD has "Help Needed" buttons. Not long ago, in the tool section, I
poked one. A red light flashed. A beeper went off. Everything by a
steam calliope playing the Star Spangled Banner! In a nonce a
orange-bedecked employee appeared! You won't believe what happened
next.

He turned off the beeper and walked away!

That's exactly what he did; he turned off the beeper and walked away.

This is fact from Borg employees:

Each button is assigned to a dept. The avg daily response time is tracked
daily. It's reported up the chain outside of the store. They are told to
respond to any help button in any dept even if they have no clue of
anything in that department.

I follwed him to the key-making desk and asked what that was all
about. His response: "We are under strict orders to respond to calls
for assistance right away."

"I don't think you're grasping the bigger picture here," I replied.

They grasp it just fine.

Employee pushback: Periodically hit the button in your dept then
immediately hit the acknowledgement button. Keeps the avg down.

Remember, these are employees that are **** on from every angle from pay
to hours to benefits to duties.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Must have been Grossman's.

All Curtis' is inside. No more Gregory supply. Curtis bought them.

We have a smallish regional chain of Aubuchon Hardware stores around
here (New England). The typical store size is probably 1/10th the
size of the big guys, but they always have the odd ball part you need.

I never liked the (then) local Aubuchons, though they were the only
game in the neighborhood. A Lowes opened up a couple of miles from
where I used to live, so I doubt I'd ever go to Aubuchons, were I
still living there. There only choice here is HD or Lowes, though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I used to stop at every small-town wood-floored ma'n'pa hardware I came
across, looking for NOS tools and hardware. I don't bother any more. All
the ones in my usual roaming range are mainly ladies garden tools and
lawn decor and kitchen knicks-knacks, with only a smattering of
blister-packed hardware and tools, at higher than borg prices. There are
still a couple that do window glass cheaper than the glass shops, and
have some old-style hardware for the older housing stock around here,
but the days of revolving bins and weighing out your own nails (and of
course the display case of guns) appear to be over.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in news:j9cc5d$k90$1
@dont-email.me:

[...]

Maybe it's 11.xx because people go to Lowe's or HD or Menard's first when
they need a tool.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 00:12:40 GMT, Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Nope. Grossmans wasn't all that bad. I don't remember the name of the place,
offhand, but it was the one at the five-corners in Essex Junction. I think
it's a latte shop now. ;-)

All Curtis' is inside. No more Gregory supply. Curtis bought them.

No more Nothern Tool, either, I noticed. We moved from EJ four years ago but
were back on vacation in June.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
bob haller writes:

Home Depot in pittsburgh has rolled out the latest in security.

monitors with cameras every 20 to 30 feet, showing me on a monitor as
i walk down the aisles, flashing a red message on the camera you are
being recorded, with a annoying beep from the monitor and a small
strobe light flashing every 30 seconds or so....

You think will all those cameras and monitors, they could install a couple
of "help needed" buttons?

No monitors in the Pittsburgh, pleasant hills store. Monitors says they
can't handle theft on their own.

I prefer Lowe's generally, but farther away.

Often I prefer the local Busy Beaver because they have stuff on sale, their
hardware assortments are lightyears ahead of The Home Depot. I get good
service, ands it's faster to maneuver. Security is minimal.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 00:12:40 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
m:

wrote:

[...]

Flander's. They had a fire at one point in the outdoor wood sheds. Don't
know the timing of that in relation to the closing. The opening of the HD
certainly didn't help them. Gabbi's Hardware in the Junction closed after
HD opened. I knew Lew Rose and he told me it was all HD that pushed him
out.

Rice on Shelburne is still there I hear. Curtis, where I work, is
thriving quite well considering the economy.

On another note, only you could appreciate it was 68° here today.

All Curtis' is inside. No more Gregory supply. Curtis bought them.

No more Nothern Tool, either, I noticed. We moved from EJ four years
ago but were back on vacation in June.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 01:15:25 GMT, Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 00:12:40 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Flander's.

That's the one!

They had a fire at one point in the outdoor wood sheds. Don't
know the timing of that in relation to the closing. The opening of the HD
certainly didn't help them.

It damned well should have. They had crap and treated their customers like
it.

Gabbi's Hardware in the Junction closed after
HD opened. I knew Lew Rose and he told me it was all HD that pushed him
out.

Their store wasn't worth much before. I liked it a little better than the
Aubuchon's across the street, but not by much. Aubuchon's (neither one in EJ)
was "pushed out" by HD. Flanders and Gabby's deserved to lose.

Rice on Shelburne is still there I hear. Curtis, where I work, is
thriving quite well considering the economy.

Rice was outrageous and didn't like dealing with homeowners. It was too far
from me to be of use anyway.

On another note, only you could appreciate it was 68° here today.

It was the usual 72F here. It's been nice since mid-September and probably
will be for another six or eight weeks. ;-) Then well get whacked with
Winter (four weeks cold as bad as 35F-50F). The natives will be in their fur
coats. ;-)

My wife is not about to move back North.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/7/2011 9:50 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Caesar Romano wrote:
[...]

I've found the variances in customer service are due the management and
there can be a big difference in the same name store from one side of
the city/county to the other. A good general manager will cultivate a
staff that lives for customer service and those are the locations I'll
do business with. ^_^

TDD