Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good HD experience

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 00:12:40 GMT, Red Green wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 22:35:00 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 07:06:20 -0600, Caesar Romano
wrote:

I was impressed with that. At Lowes, I wouldn't have been able to
even find a manager. I'm a HD fan now.

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the
"mom and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

I'm glad you are happy, but - - -

It all depends on the store and manager. I've been to a bunch of both
stores and some are good, others suck. I can't say that one is better
than the other overall.

Agreed, but it seems to be a regional thing (not just a single store).
I shop at the Lowes here more than 75% of the time.

As for the mom and pop stores, some were rip off, others are great.
Reasonable prices and great service. I used to live near one like
that. I'd go in and tell the owner "I'm going down to cut some pipe".
Half hour later I'd take my cut and threaded pieces to the counter and
pay a fair price. Try that at the big box stores.

When I was in VT, the local lumber yard left their PT lumber in the
mud. Not only was the stuff a mess to work with but it looked like
pretzels. Some of their molding was quite nice, since they kept it
inside but it was *very* pricey. The finally went out of business. No
loss.

Must have been Grossman's.

Nope. Grossmans wasn't all that bad. I don't remember the name of the place,
offhand, but it was the one at the five-corners in Essex Junction. I think
it's a latte shop now. ;-)

All Curtis' is inside. No more Gregory supply. Curtis bought them.

No more Nothern Tool, either, I noticed. We moved from EJ four years ago but
were back on vacation in June.