Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Good HD experience

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Caesar Romano wrote:
I live in a rural area and the nearest "shopping" town is 20 miles
away. The town has a Lowes and a Home Depot. The Lowes was there
first, so I got into the habit of shopping there and continued to do
so after the HD opened about 5 years ago.

Last week, on a whim, I decided to try the HD when I needed some
lumber for a barn repair I was working on. HD had two grades (higher
and lower) of the lumber I needed. Since this was a barn repair, the
lesser grade would work well, but there wasn't enough of it. I asked
the department manager if they had any more in stock. He checked and
said no, but they would have a delivery in two days and suggested I
come back then.

I told him that I was in the middle of a project and that it was a 40
mile round trip. He said "no problem", just take the higher grade
lumber and he would charge me the lower-grade price.

I was impressed with that. At Lowes, I wouldn't have been able to
even find a manager. I'm a HD fan now.

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

Hi,
In my neighborhood shopping complex HD and Lowes face each other across a
road. Often I visit both outfits same day browsing, comparing prices and
buying some things I need.

At HD price is lower than Lowes, staff members are friendly willing to
help.
At Lowes most prices are higher than HD staffs often gather around
chit-chatting not paying attention to customers in need of some help.
Do not feel like spending money there.

I shop all over for materials, most times if I need any quantity, I often
buy at wholesalers rather than retailers.

Recently I wanted some Trex deck material, Lowes was $6.50 per 12 foot piece
more than our local Rona (a Canadian not so big box home center) for 18
pieces. I also needed some 12 foot pieces of 2 x 10 red cedar. HD and Lowes
don't carry 2 x 10s, a large local lumber yard had it, good price, but
better lumber than I have ever found at HD or Lowes. It was straight, hardly
any knots, no rough areas, no bark edges, plus delivered at no extra charge.