Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Good HD experience

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 07:06:20 -0600, Caesar Romano
wrote:

I was impressed with that. At Lowes, I wouldn't have been able to
even find a manager. I'm a HD fan now.

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of business.

I'm glad you are happy, but - - -

It all depends on the store and manager. I've been to a bunch of both
stores and some are good, others suck. I can't say that one is better
than the other overall.

As for the mom and pop stores, some were rip off, others are great.
Reasonable prices and great service. I used to live near one like
that. I'd go in and tell the owner "I'm going down to cut some pipe".
Half hour later I'd take my cut and threaded pieces to the counter and
pay a fair price. Try that at the big box stores.

We have a smallish regional chain of Aubuchon Hardware stores around
here (New England). The typical store size is probably 1/10th the
size of the big guys, but they always have the odd ball part you need.