Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good HD experience

My small town Pro, I think it is. Hardware. Nice people, and
know what they are doing. The products are often 20 to 30%
higher price than the big box store, but for me it's well
worth it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message
I live in a rural area and the nearest "shopping" town is 20
miles
away. The town has a Lowes and a Home Depot. The Lowes was
there
first, so I got into the habit of shopping there and
continued to do
so after the HD opened about 5 years ago.

Last week, on a whim, I decided to try the HD when I needed
some
lumber for a barn repair I was working on. HD had two
grades (higher
and lower) of the lumber I needed. Since this was a barn
repair, the
lesser grade would work well, but there wasn't enough of it.
I asked
the department manager if they had any more in stock. He
checked and
said no, but they would have a delivery in two days and
suggested I
come back then.

I told him that I was in the middle of a project and that it
was a 40
mile round trip. He said "no problem", just take the higher
grade
lumber and he would charge me the lower-grade price.

I was impressed with that. At Lowes, I wouldn't have been
able to
even find a manager. I'm a HD fan now.

Lowes and HD may not be perfect, but they are way better
than the "mom
and pop" rip-off store that they thankfully put out of
business.