Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing flat screen TV over gas fireplace - power and cable questions

I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:01:42 -0500, "AngryOldWhiteGuy"
wrote:

I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Google video wall cable cover.

If that doesn't work for you, you can notch the studs to run your
power and cable, and patch over the notches.
The multi-tool always talked about here would shine at that.
Just make sure you get between drywall screws.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote
in message ...
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted
on a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert
for the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace -

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Sure, that's easy. What you do is put the TV on a stand or another wall
where it can be put lower and be more comfortable to watch. I'm not sure
where the over fireplace thing got started, but it is a dumb place in most
houses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 9:01 PM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

You need to get a game plan . You have to run a cable for power to a
location behind the tv, but in many cases the coax cable goes to your
cable box not directly to the tv. Depending upon your setup, you'd run
HDMI, composite, or component cables from your cable box, dvd, vcr, dvr,
etc. to the TV

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote
in message ...
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted
on a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert
for the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace -
what I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind
the wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about
5 - 6 feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the
current wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over
horizontally from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross
through the vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Look up ( wire mould) Ace hwd has it or Home Depot. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Hmmm.
I don't understand mounting TV high. Best watching TV position is when
viewed little lower than eye level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 9:01 PM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

I'd think hard before I did that. Still a whole lot of hot air that
rises up in front of a gas fireplace. Probably kind of hard on a TV
basically made of plastic, and the electronics it contains. Look in you
owner's manual, and see what temp range it likes, and hang a thermometer
where you plan to hang the TV, and see how close the numbers are with
the fireplace running for an hour or so.

As to how to hide the cables- there is no painless way. You can fish
lines down from attic, and tap into the cable and mains power from
elsewhere. If your cable comes through the wall, it sounds like you had
the 'free' install service, which is worth what you paid for it. You
could always go up into the attic on the outside, through the soffit, if
there is no 2nd story above. But if you back-feed the set, and your
cable company suddenly makes you start using a box, or you want to add a
DVR, how will you route the cables to that?

Dunno why people get so hung up on hiding TV cords. Every appliance,
lamp, computer, and real power tool has one.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 9:57 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:
[...]

The TV in this room is on a stand around 50" high. Any lower, and I
couldn't see it over the other computer monitor on the desk sitting at
right angles to this one.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:40:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"AngryOldWhiteGuy" wrote
in message ...
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted
on a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert
for the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace -

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Sure, that's easy. What you do is put the TV on a stand or another wall
where it can be put lower and be more comfortable to watch. I'm not sure
where the over fireplace thing got started, but it is a dumb place in most
houses.

Speaking of which, I've now got this in boxes sitting in the living
room.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...html?cid=95138

I finally caved to the wife.
I'm getting rid of the huge entertainment center that was on that
wall.
We'll see how that monster gets picked up from the curb.
That was her idea too. I never liked it.
And I don't like fireplaces, just peace.
Don't even like real fireplaces unless it's in a northern Canadian
lodge and I've been fishing in the cold all day and I can warm up with
a drink in my hand.
But that's somebody else's fireplace anyway.
This one isn't even real, so I like it less.
Only reason I caved is because I can get rid of the entertainment
center.
But if we want a big TV in the living room, it has to hang on the wall
over that "fireplace."
No other place that works in our small house.
I think that's why they get hung over a fireplace,
Just not enough room for everything.

--Vic

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be
mounted on a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace
with an insert for the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional
all brick fireplace - what I'm wondering about is how to hide the
power and cable lines behind the wall - the current cable line comes
in through the outside wall about 5 - 6 feet over from where I wanna
mount the new TV - that's where the current wall socket power outlet
is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally from the current
locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the vertical
studs behind the sheetrock.
Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

I'd use a 6' flex drill bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 8:01 PM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

just drape the cords over to the tv and be done. damn!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Heat is the biggest destroyer of modern electronics. Thats why they
put large heat sinks and fans in things like tv sets, computers, etc.
Even a small fireplace will pump the heat into that tv, and will
greatly shorten the life of the tv, as well as possibly warping
plastic on the case or even the screen. What you want to do is just
plain stupid. You have other walls to use, put it ANYWHERE ELSE. NOT
above the fireplace.

After you find another place for the tv, look up "wiremold" on the
internet or go to an electrical supply house to buy some. It comes in
plastic or metal, use what suits your fancy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 10:08 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:40:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"AngryOldWhiteGuy"AngryOldWhiteGuy@i_am_a_minorit y_too_dammit.com wrote
in message ...
[...]

As Ed suggested why not a stand? Flat panels are pretty thin. Its not
like trying to accommodate a huge CRT TV.

One of the main reasons for keeping it below horizontal line of site is
that human eyes don't wet properly when looking at a higher angle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted
on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace -
what I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind
the wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about
5 - 6 feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the
current wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over
horizontally from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross
through the vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

*I've done several of these installations. Where there is no basement or
attic access I cut a 5" wide groove in the drywall using my 45 degree angle
cut technique. The groove extends from above or below the existing
electrical receptacle and cable locations over to the side of the fireplace.
I then drill holes in each wall stud to pull the wires through. From the
side of the fireplace cut-out I usually snake the wires up the wall and if
necessary cut a groove to get to the desired location behind the TV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:
No other place that works in our small house.
I think that's why they get hung over a fireplace,
Just not enough room for everything.

You could pull a Cask of Amontillado: " 'For the love of God, Montresor!'
" 'Yes,' I said, 'for the love of God!...'

"I forced the last stone into its position; I plastered it up. Against the
new masonry I re-erected the old rampart of bones. For the half of a century
no mortal has disturbed them. In pace requiescat!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

This one isn't even real, so I like it less.
Only reason I caved is because I can get rid of the entertainment
center.

put new tv where entertainment center was.

to dispose of entrtainment center break it up they arent very strong.

remove the back and a few screws, push the entre thing over and break
it up.

besides it was most likely assembled on site, so you cant get it
assembled thru doors..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Vic Smith wrote:
[...]

Put it in front of the fireplace, and get a DVD of a burning fireplace. Or, burn
a fire and make your own video to match what you have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:14:02 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Cask of Amontillado

TV immurement.
I like that idea.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:30:43 -0400, George
wrote:

As Ed suggested why not a stand? Flat panels are pretty thin. Its not
like trying to accommodate a huge CRT TV.

As I said, there's just no room - without arranging furniture in a way
that would cause more problems.
It's not the big room many have as a living room.
That why the entertainment center was on that wall. To hold the TV.
Don't get me wrong. I don't think we'll put a TV over that fireplace.
We've got 3 of the things in other rooms.

One of the main reasons for keeping it below horizontal line of site is
that human eyes don't wet properly when looking at a higher angle.

Good to know. I'll use that.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 07:22:28 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Put it in front of the fireplace, and get a DVD of a burning fireplace. Or, burn
a fire and make your own video to match what you have.

I tried that with a VHS of fish when my wife wanted aquariums.
Didn't work.
I've got an empty 55 gallon tank, an empty 12, and an empty 6 sitting
in the basement. Plus all the other gear.
The fish kick lasted about 5 years.

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 05:57:47 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

This one isn't even real, so I like it less.

Only reason I caved is because I can get rid of the entertainment
center.

put new tv where entertainment center was.

That entertainment center was made for that.
The fireplace to is 42" high.
I'm just going to tell her the TV will melt and hope she doesn't read
the fireplace recommendations for mounting a flat screen above it.
But I expect the "fireplace" will trip the breaker.
Then if she says there's no worry about heat melting the TV, I'll tell
her what George said. Your eyes will dry up.

to dispose of entrtainment center break it up they arent very strong.

remove the back and a few screws, push the entre thing over and break
it up.

besides it was most likely assembled on site, so you cant get it
assembled thru doors..

I put it together. It's a good one and I don't want to break it up.
The top section can detach, so I can get it outside.
I was going to toss the top and put the bottom in the garage, but it's
too low for a workbench.
Now I think I'll put both pieces by the curb.
This thing is really heavy. About 10 years ago we removed the carpet
that was new in this house when we bought it.
Cheap stuff that my dogs screwed up in 4 years.
I trimmed the carpet flush around the entertainment center and since
then when we've painted and had the floors refinished I could push it
around with that original carpet still under it.
Otherwise I would have had to take it apart.
I'm kind of looking forward to seeing that strip of original carpeting
uncovered.
Memories. The kids were here then, our favorite dog was here then.
We were humping every day then.
Maybe I'll shed a tear before I toss the carpet strip in the trash.

--Vic
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Put it in front of the fireplace, and get a DVD of a burning
fireplace. Or, burn a fire and make your own video to match what you
have.

I tried that with a VHS of fish when my wife wanted aquariums.
Didn't work.
I've got an empty 55 gallon tank, an empty 12, and an empty 6 sitting
in the basement. Plus all the other gear.
The fish kick lasted about 5 years.

As long as she cleaned the tank......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2011 8:57 AM, bob haller wrote:
This one isn't even real, so I like it less.

Only reason I caved is because I can get rid of the entertainment
center.

put new tv where entertainment center was.

to dispose of entrtainment center break it up they arent very strong.

remove the back and a few screws, push the entre thing over and break
it up.

besides it was most likely assembled on site, so you cant get it
assembled thru doors..

Not ALL of them are made out of chipboard. The one I have in the other
living room is oak over plywood core, with real hardwood face frame. (I
can't abide fake woodgrain.) Think I paid 20 bucks for it at a garage
sale. And unless it is a huge monster (towers plus bridge), they
generally do fit through doors.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2011 1:16 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
(snip)
This thing is really heavy. About 10 years ago we removed the carpet
that was new in this house when we bought it.
Cheap stuff that my dogs screwed up in 4 years.
I trimmed the carpet flush around the entertainment center and since
then when we've painted and had the floors refinished I could push it
around with that original carpet still under it.
Otherwise I would have had to take it apart.
I'm kind of looking forward to seeing that strip of original carpeting
uncovered.
Memories. The kids were here then, our favorite dog was here then.
We were humping every day then.
Maybe I'll shed a tear before I toss the carpet strip in the trash.

Post Of The Day!

:^)

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

wrote:
[...]

Not that *I* would put a TV over my fireplace, but many people do it.
Do you think this company makes their customers sign waivers before
installation?

http://hdinstallers.com/fireplacetvinstallation.html

The candles on my fireplace mantel have never melted, so it doesn't
get that hot above *my* fireplace.

And just for the hell of it, I placed a digital thermometer just above
my plasma TV and it is putting out 95 degrees. If I tape the
thermometer to one of the main heat vents it climbs to 105 degrees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It all depends on the fireplace design and all of that, but it still
seems rather risky. Modern electronics would likely last forever if
it was not for heat causing failure. I'd rate heat as the #1 cause.
The other things are lightning and power surges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/11/2011 9:01 PM, AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Don't know if this will get you all the away but:

In my game room I (carefully) removed the base board and cut a notch at
floor level. Run the cable and a power line through the notch and up
into a stud bay with the cable and power outlets behind the wall mounted
TV. Re-install the base board and your done.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 11, 9:01*pm, "AngryOldWhiteGuy"
wrote:
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV *- that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. *I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

If your house/chimney is like mine, the chimney is boxed in with
framing on the exterior of the house with plenty of room around the
chimney. I also have a basement. Drill from the inside drywall into
the cavity that surrounds your metal chimney. Be VERY careful not to
drill into the chimney. Access the cavity by removing siding and
cutting thru OSB a large enough panel to get to the wires that will
protude thru the wall. Make this access panel away from the street
side if possible. Install outlet with squeeze box. Run wires down
cavity into basement and then to the place that will house all other
equipment and electric. Replace panel/siding on chimney cavity. Hook
it all up and you're good to go.

Hank
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Note that you need plenum-rated wiring if you do that. Even the fancy
double-layer metal chimney stuff fails at times, or segments become
unhooked if you live in earthquake country.

Personally, I still think it is a lousy place to put a TV, both
ergonomically and TV-lifespan wise.

--
aem sends....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Agreed! My wife wanted to put the TV above our gas fireplace. We'd have to
have hospital beds in the living room to see it, and the heat is a huge deal.
It's a plasma set, which generates enough heat on its own. I needs no help.

The top of a display should be just above eye level (about 30% above) and well
away from heat sources.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
[...]

away from heat sources.- Hide quoted text -

I think the idea of having a TV over the fireplace seems like
a good one until you look into it more. It does look good
up there when you walk into the room. And it gets it totally
out of the way. But, as others have pointed out, the downside
is that I think it sucks for viewing angle. When you're seated
or laying down on a sofa the preferred position has the TV
located on a short stand on the floor.

If he decides to go the fireplace route, here's what I would
do. I'd go get thermometer. Harbor freight has a nice
one that has a probe on the end of about 7 ft of wire so
you can put the probe anywhere. I recently used it where
the issue was how close to the wall you can mount a
TV with there still being sufficient air flow. I'd do some
experimenting to see what the temp is above the fireplace.
It might be perfectly fine.

As for routing the wires, it sounds like the easiest solution
is to just bite the bullet and make some holes in the
drywall as needed to do the routing.

Flat Screen TVs jwcarlton Home Repair 28 December 25th 10 01:51 AM
Fireplace screen Garry[_2_] Woodworking 6 April 8th 08 04:18 AM
Fireplace screen help Jimi Home Repair 0 December 31st 06 05:09 AM
Installing FLAT Screen Spline - How To? [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 28th 05 07:46 PM
NEC Flat screen NSM Electronics Repair 1 December 15th 04 12:16 AM