Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing flat screen TV over gas fireplace - power and cable questions

I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted
on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace -
what I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind
the wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about
5 - 6 feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV - that's where the
current wall socket power outlet is, too. I can't see getting over
horizontally from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross
through the vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

*I've done several of these installations. Where there is no basement or
attic access I cut a 5" wide groove in the drywall using my 45 degree angle
cut technique. The groove extends from above or below the existing
electrical receptacle and cable locations over to the side of the fireplace.
I then drill holes in each wall stud to pull the wires through. From the
side of the fireplace cut-out I usually snake the wires up the wall and if
necessary cut a groove to get to the desired location behind the TV.