Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Installing flat screen TV over gas fireplace - power and cablequestions

On 9/11/2011 10:08 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 21:40:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"AngryOldWhiteGuy"AngryOldWhiteGuy@i_am_a_minorit y_too_dammit.com wrote
in message ...
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted
on a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert
for the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace -

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

Sure, that's easy. What you do is put the TV on a stand or another wall
where it can be put lower and be more comfortable to watch. I'm not sure
where the over fireplace thing got started, but it is a dumb place in most
houses.

Speaking of which, I've now got this in boxes sitting in the living
room.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...html?cid=95138

I finally caved to the wife.
I'm getting rid of the huge entertainment center that was on that
wall.
We'll see how that monster gets picked up from the curb.
That was her idea too. I never liked it.
And I don't like fireplaces, just peace.
Don't even like real fireplaces unless it's in a northern Canadian
lodge and I've been fishing in the cold all day and I can warm up with
a drink in my hand.
But that's somebody else's fireplace anyway.
This one isn't even real, so I like it less.
Only reason I caved is because I can get rid of the entertainment
center.
But if we want a big TV in the living room, it has to hang on the wall
over that "fireplace."
No other place that works in our small house.
I think that's why they get hung over a fireplace,
Just not enough room for everything.

--Vic

--Vic

As Ed suggested why not a stand? Flat panels are pretty thin. Its not
like trying to accommodate a huge CRT TV.

One of the main reasons for keeping it below horizontal line of site is
that human eyes don't wet properly when looking at a higher angle.