Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default Installing flat screen TV over gas fireplace - power and cable questions

On Sep 11, 9:01*pm, "AngryOldWhiteGuy"
wrote:
I'm OK with how to wall mount a flat screen TV - this one will be mounted on
a wall over the gas fireplace - it's a small fireplace with an insert for
the firebox and a metal flue - not a traditional all brick fireplace - what
I'm wondering about is how to hide the power and cable lines behind the
wall - the current cable line comes in through the outside wall about 5 - 6
feet over from where I wanna mount the new TV *- that's where the current
wall socket power outlet is, too. *I can't see getting over horizontally
from the current locations to the new TV - I'd have to cross through the
vertical studs behind the sheetrock.

Any ideas, besides calling a professional?

Thanks!

If your house/chimney is like mine, the chimney is boxed in with
framing on the exterior of the house with plenty of room around the
chimney. I also have a basement. Drill from the inside drywall into
the cavity that surrounds your metal chimney. Be VERY careful not to
drill into the chimney. Access the cavity by removing siding and
cutting thru OSB a large enough panel to get to the wires that will
protude thru the wall. Make this access panel away from the street
side if possible. Install outlet with squeeze box. Run wires down
cavity into basement and then to the place that will house all other
equipment and electric. Replace panel/siding on chimney cavity. Hook
it all up and you're good to go.

Hank