Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Installing flat screen TV over gas fireplace - power and cable questions

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 05:57:47 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

This one isn't even real, so I like it less.

Only reason I caved is because I can get rid of the entertainment
center.

put new tv where entertainment center was.

That entertainment center was made for that.
The fireplace to is 42" high.
I'm just going to tell her the TV will melt and hope she doesn't read
the fireplace recommendations for mounting a flat screen above it.
But I expect the "fireplace" will trip the breaker.
Then if she says there's no worry about heat melting the TV, I'll tell
her what George said. Your eyes will dry up.

to dispose of entrtainment center break it up they arent very strong.

remove the back and a few screws, push the entre thing over and break
it up.

besides it was most likely assembled on site, so you cant get it
assembled thru doors..

I put it together. It's a good one and I don't want to break it up.
The top section can detach, so I can get it outside.
I was going to toss the top and put the bottom in the garage, but it's
too low for a workbench.
Now I think I'll put both pieces by the curb.
This thing is really heavy. About 10 years ago we removed the carpet
that was new in this house when we bought it.
Cheap stuff that my dogs screwed up in 4 years.
I trimmed the carpet flush around the entertainment center and since
then when we've painted and had the floors refinished I could push it
around with that original carpet still under it.
Otherwise I would have had to take it apart.
I'm kind of looking forward to seeing that strip of original carpeting
uncovered.
Memories. The kids were here then, our favorite dog was here then.
We were humping every day then.
Maybe I'll shed a tear before I toss the carpet strip in the trash.

--Vic