Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone make a grill cover that will last more than 1 season?

Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 8:27*pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. *The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) *out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

i never cover my grill, its a outside appliance designed to live
outdoors...........

do you cover your car? cover your house?

a well designed gas grill should do fine outdoors
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2011 8:27 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

Try a Garden Ridge model called "The Grilling Enthusiast" if you can
find it. The wife bought it at a Garden Ridge shop just outside of
Pittsburgh but she said she also saw it at Big Lots. Fortunately the
wife bought two for exactly the reason you are looking for a better one.
Well this is the best made I've seen, its plastic covered cloth with a
flannel liner, reminds one of the old oil cloths that used to be on the
kitchen table. Color choices are dark green and dark green

But weigh the sucker down cause it makes a great parachute and if blows
away like our first one did who ever finds it in your neighborhood won't
ever give it back!

$14.99 each three years ago.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2011 7:27 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

I just ask my wife to make mine. For a decent seamstress it's pretty simple.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Paul Franklin wrote:

Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

I wonder if a motorcycle cover would work. Mine is a Dowco
Guardian. My last one lasted years in Nebraska weather.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2011 9:51 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:27 pm, Paul
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

i never cover my grill, its a outside appliance designed to live
outdoors...........

do you cover your car? cover your house?

a well designed gas grill should do fine outdoors

Not everyone wants to take out a mortgage on an all stainless model.

John
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 18:51:58 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Sep 4, 8:27*pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. *The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) *out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

i never cover my grill, its a outside appliance designed to live
outdoors...........

do you cover your car? cover your house?

a well designed gas grill should do fine outdoors

I live in the woods. If I don't cover it, it's soon covered with bird
crap, leaves and needles from the trees get wedged in all the little
cracks and openings, and it get's loaded up with sap droplets. If you
use it with sap and bird droppings on it, it bakes in on and it
becomes much harder to clean. Rain does not remove baked on sap and
droppings.

I don't have time to clean it and hose it off the 3-4 times a week I
use it during the season; much easier to pull the cover off and be
ready to go on a nice clean grill.

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2011 9:51 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:27 pm, Paul
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

i never cover my grill, its a outside appliance designed to live
outdoors...........

do you cover your car? cover your house?

a well designed gas grill should do fine outdoors

Isn't that what sheds are for?

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2011 10:17 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2011 9:51 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:27 pm, Paul
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

i never cover my grill, its a outside appliance designed to live
outdoors...........

do you cover your car? cover your house?

a well designed gas grill should do fine outdoors

Isn't that what sheds are for?

Yes and everyone has one in their backyard just like you do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 22:36:03 -0500, Jim T wrote:

On 9/4/2011 10:17 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2011 9:51 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:27 pm, Paul
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

i never cover my grill, its a outside appliance designed to live
outdoors...........

do you cover your car? cover your house?

a well designed gas grill should do fine outdoors

Isn't that what sheds are for?

Yes and everyone has one in their backyard just like you do.

Glad I held my tongue about covering the Weber.
Mine's been outside for 14 years uncovered without harm.
Rain, snow, sun and wind.
But no bird crap, sap, pine needles or leaves bother it.
They go for my cars.
The OP needs to cover that Weber.
To-the-ground covers trap moisture.
He might bungee a small tarp over the top to keep it clean.
Here's one, a 4x6. Cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Ace-P46-88W-Ho...195704&sr=8-10

--Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 22:36:03 -0500, Jim T wrote:

On 9/4/2011 10:17 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2011 9:51 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:27 pm, Paul
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
[...]

I had a Vermont Castings grill and it had an excellent cover, very durable.
Problem is, the grill rusted out after 10 years. Any place a holde was
drilled, places where the gas burners passed, all rusted over time. The
burners and grates were still in great condition, but the parts that held
them went to crap. I think it was because the cover held moisture.

I bought a stainless steel Weber Summit and have no plans to cover it. I
may just tarp the top. The grill should outlast me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/4/2011 11:36 PM, Jim T wrote:
On 9/4/2011 10:17 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/4/2011 9:51 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Sep 4, 8:27 pm, Paul
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

i never cover my grill, its a outside appliance designed to live
outdoors...........

do you cover your car? cover your house?

a well designed gas grill should do fine outdoors

Isn't that what sheds are for?

Yes and everyone has one in their backyard just like you do.

Do I really need to put a smiley after every joking post?

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 11:03*pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 18:51:58 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Sep 4, 8:27*pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
[...]

Paul F.- Hide quoted text -

build a grill shed, put it in close by shed when not in use......
Posted to alt.home.repair

"John" wrote
Not everyone wants to take out a mortgage on an all stainless model.

John

The stainless steel ones require way too much maintenance and cleaning just
to make them presentable and/or usable.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

i never cover my grill, its a outside appliance designed to live
outdoors...........

do you cover your car? cover your house?

a well designed gas grill should do fine outdoors

Isn't that what sheds are for?

I have a Nat Gas Weber that I use the storage underneath for a hibatchi and
other various items that rust if I don't use a cover for the grill. I'm
using the same Weber cover that I bought with the grill in 2006. It has a
few cracks and pin holes but still keeps moisture from the storage under
grill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 8:27*pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. *The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) *out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

I have not had much luck either. Lately I've just been buying the $6
walmart one and replacing it once a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Paul Franklin wrote in
:

Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

My grill cover was bought May 2004 together with the Sears Kenmore grill
(~$20 for the cover). Grill has stayed outside under the awning over the
garage entrance since then. It doesn't look that well/good anymore, but
is still intact and functional.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

talk of "best" bbq cover snipped

I have bought several over the years for various barbecues, and gone through
a few that came with the barbecues. I have a home, a summer cabin, and
three vacation rental houses, so have seen a few.

Out of all of them, those I bought at Lowe's lasted the longest. The one
that lasted the longest was four years. That was 24/7 in the desert heat.
Whether or not one lives in the desert, or in the snowy woods, any 24/7
exposure to sun, wind, snow, rain, or weather in general, a cover has hard
wear. Anything will develop holes and tears and separation quickly.

There is no "best" or perfect cover. You can pay a lot, and perhaps get a
better one, but it won't amortize over the years. It won't last that many
years.

I have a Singer Walking Foot sewing machine, and can build one out of
Sunbrella, one of the finest outdoor canvases in the market. Yet, when I
analyze my time, the cost of materials, and all, I would rather just go get
one at Lowe's that will last three to four years, and do that every few
years.

Steve

--
Please go to my facebook page, Heart Surgery Survival Guide and LIKE me so I
can get my domain name.

Heart surgery pending?
www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com
Heart Surgery Survival Guide
Now on facebook, too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/6/2011 3:19 PM, Steve B wrote:
[...]

What somebody suggested up-thread, a little 3-sided 'tractor shed' to
wheel the thing into after it cools, is sounding better and better. 4
posts plus a little cross-bracing or siding, and a little sloped roof,
should do the trick. In my experience, tarps or covers on equipment
stored outside, often do more harm than good, due mainly to
condensation. You could even combine the shelter with a bird-feeding
platform or plant stand or something.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 4, 8:27*pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
Subject says it all. I've tried several brands of "premium" covers for
my weber gas grill. Include Weber brand and whatever brookstone sells,
plus some others. *The best so far is some type of cloth with a PVC
like coating, but after a season (usually less) *out in sun/rain they
all develop pinholes and or cracks that make them leaky as a sieve.

And I'm in NE Ohio, not some scorched earth hell-hole desert.

I don't mind paying for quality, I just can't find it.

Anyone know a brand/type that lasts?

TIA,

Paul F.

If you still have an old one you can use as a pattern have one made
out of Teflon impregnated cloth. I found the material at the local
cloth store. They clean easy too.
.. They line thermal drapes and make ironing board covers out of this
stuff

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote

What somebody suggested up-thread, a little 3-sided 'tractor shed' to
wheel the thing into after it cools, is sounding better and better. 4
posts plus a little cross-bracing or siding, and a little sloped roof,
should do the trick. In my experience, tarps or covers on equipment stored
outside, often do more harm than good, due mainly to condensation. You
could even combine the shelter with a bird-feeding platform or plant stand
or something.

--
aem sends...

One size does not fit all. Any such enclosure in my area is like hanging a
VACANCY sign out for the black widows, scorpions, pack rats, brown recluse
and hobo spiders.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

A covered car lasts a lot longer in terms of the paint and top coat. Shingles on a house protect the house from not just rain but the sun too. The suns rays do a lot more damage than you realize.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:26:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The cover on my Broil King is 5 years iold now and no sighn of giving
up. No Idea who MADE it but it's sold by Broil King. Not cheap, but
good seldom is.

My Weber cover is 5 years too and still is good. Had a no-name on my
last grill and got 10 years from it. My smoker cover is at least 12
years This is in New England, could be tougher in Arizona.

My original grill cover lasted a long time so I'm on the second one
that is a bad one, ripping in the corners from the wind. My Weber
Smoky Mountain (WSM) smoker cover is holding up great since last
November. The Blackstone griddle is under the patio roof -- not in the
sun.

We live in the desert, covers take a beating at 110/12 °F

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've been looking for a grill cover that lasts more than a season too. I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks that will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't immediately run off in the rain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks - the reviews on this one look great. I like the custom fit of the cover for my smoker by the manufacturer but the reviews were 50-50. I'll probably go with this one.

I've been looking for a grill cover that lasts more than a season too. I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks that will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't immediately run off in the rain.

Welcome to the world of more intense UV rays. I have noticed that a
lot of outdoor equipment and materials degrade far more rapidly than
in the past.

I sincerely doubt sun block, made for people, would last very long on
your grill cover. The first rain or morning dew would probably wash it
off very quickly.

All that being said, take a look at this cover. It has extremely good
reviews and offers a 3 year warranty.

https://www.amazon.com/Hentex-Cover-.../dp/B00SZ5ADN6

Posted to alt.home.repair

metro DC area. i don't know. haven't had much luck with the ones i buy. my wife bought my latest grill cover. it had the logo for my favorite NFL team on it. i kid you not, it was not more than 3 months in the sun when the vinyl on top started cracking in spots. haha

i will try the tarp idea if all else fails.

thanks

I've been looking for a grill cover that lasts more than a season too. I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks that will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't immediately run off in the rain.

Where do you live that you only get one season? My Weber is 5 years and
a generic one on my smoker is at east 10 and will get at least one more
year. I'm in New England though, not Arizona.

There may be some sort of UV inhibitor you can coat it with, or just
throw an old blanket over the cover. How about a cheap blue tarp?

Posted to alt.home.repair

true - but it's probably more like the binding agents that degrade. the stuff that confers the UV protection, e.g. titanium dioxide or zinc oxide - those oxides are stable. i was just hoping to saturate the fabric with the stuff but yeah, i wonder how long before that stuff washes off in the rain.

You'll probably notice that sunscreen has an expiration-date. That date is for when it's
stored in normal conditions (like in a cupboard), in the original container. When it's used,
outside in the sun, the stuff might become useless in a few hours or a few days.

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:24:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've been looking for a grill cover that lasts more than a season too. I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks that will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't immediately run off in the rain.

Jebus fraking Christopher! Has anyone thought of putting the darn thing in a shed or someplace else where the Sun doesn't shine on it?! Geez! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:22:23 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:24:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've been looking for a grill cover that lasts more than a season too. I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks that will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't immediately run off in the rain.

Jebus fraking Christopher! Has anyone thought of putting the darn thing in a shed or someplace else where the Sun doesn't shine on it?! Geez! ¯\_(?)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster

Yeah, but why? You'd need a tow-chain tied to the wheel chair. My gas
grill is on a second cover in ~10 years, in the desert. I actually
hate the dang things. My grill is stainless steel cabinet and grates.
The burners are brass. 2 inches of rain a year.

I take the cover off and the bride puts it back on. I can't win.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2017 3:19 PM, wrote:
A covered car lasts a lot longer in terms of the paint and top coat. Shingles on a house protect the house from not just rain but the sun too. The suns rays do a lot more damage than you realize.

Just checked Amazon for one I got there with 2 summers on it going fine:

https://www.amazon.com/Grill-Cover-R...ll+cover&psc=1

I don't have Prime but even with shipping it was cheaper than similar
ones in stores here.

Only problem with it is black dye is fading badly. Does not bother me
but might bother somebody else.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/17 1:22 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:24:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've been looking for a grill cover that lasts more than a season too. I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks that will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't immediately run off in the rain.

Jebus fraking Christopher! Has anyone thought of putting the darn thing in a shed or someplace else where the Sun doesn't shine on it?! Geez! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster

The mice need another place to hide in the winter. Aaannd,
one might slip on the ice if he's dragging the grill out in a blizzard
to grill. It's gotta be outside so the neighbors have something to
discuss.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2017 2:22 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:24:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've been looking for a grill cover that lasts more than a season too. I just had a goofy thought. It's the UV that breaks down the cover right? I was thinking of spraying sunblock on the cover. Anybody else thinks that will work? You can even get the water resistant kind too so it doesn't immediately run off in the rain.

Jebus fraking Christopher! Has anyone thought of putting the darn thing in a shed or someplace else where the Sun doesn't shine on it?! Geez! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Curious Monster

Not sure of the exact weight, but it is roughly 200#. My deck is 13
steps up from ground level. My wife has a hard time taking it up and
down the steps by herself.