Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I make/sew a cover using awning-grade canvas

Hi,

Is it practical to get some scraps from an awning fabricator and
sew or otherwise fashion a cover for the AC Condensing Unit in
my backyard?

For those about to recommend leaving the AC-CU uncovered, don't.
I've already evaluated that, and I definitely need a cover for
my purposes. Also don't need advice re % coverage, etc. I got
that figgered.

Just don't know if canvas is best. Never worked with it.

AC-CU is rectangular, top is about 30" square. The side of the
cover would extend down maybe 18".

Is it practical to just get a big sewing needle (I might have 1),
lay it out, cut the canvas (scissors?) and sew it?

Thanks,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

there is a material made for boat covers which is thin enough to be
sewn on a home machine .

Use a needle with a medium length stitch , and if you can get it a
nylon thread or other waterproof thread.

You need to apply a waterproofing material to the seams after sewing.
Ther is a clear wax like stick available for that. Boat supply or
outdoor store would have it .

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

Is it practical to just get a big sewing needle (I might have 1),
lay it out, cut the canvas (scissors?) and sew it?

Depends on your reason for covering. Canvas is prone to leaking water
unless properly treated, especially if the material rubs at all. Put some
padding at the corners. Awning material is rather heavy for most home
machines, but you may find some lighter waterproof materials.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:39:07 GMT, Puddin' Man
wrote:

Hi,

Is it practical to get some scraps from an awning fabricator and
sew or otherwise fashion a cover for the AC Condensing Unit in
my backyard?

For those about to recommend leaving the AC-CU uncovered, don't.
I've already evaluated that, and I definitely need a cover for
my purposes. Also don't need advice re % coverage, etc. I got
that figgered.

Just don't know if canvas is best. Never worked with it.

AC-CU is rectangular, top is about 30" square. The side of the
cover would extend down maybe 18".

Is it practical to just get a big sewing needle (I might have 1),
lay it out, cut the canvas (scissors?) and sew it?

There's a zillion online places that sell ready and custom made
covers. Some are canvas, most are vinyl. I think the concensus is
that canvas is better than vinyl because it can breath a bit and not
trap moisture underneath.

I'm sure you could make one if you have time on your hands and can get
the canvas cheap. Check out the commercial products for hints.

HTH,

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

Is it practical to get some scraps from an awning fabricator and
sew or otherwise fashion a cover for the AC Condensing Unit in
my backyard?

For those about to recommend leaving the AC-CU uncovered, don't.
I've already evaluated that, and I definitely need a cover for
my purposes. Also don't need advice re % coverage, etc. I got
that figgered.

Just don't know if canvas is best. Never worked with it.

AC-CU is rectangular, top is about 30" square. The side of the
cover would extend down maybe 18".

Is it practical to just get a big sewing needle (I might have 1),
lay it out, cut the canvas (scissors?) and sew it?

Sunforger Marine Canvas is treated for water, mildew,
and fire resistance. "resistant" does not mean "proof"
particularly, fire-resistant just means that it merely burns
when exposed to flame, rather than turning into an instant
curtain of napalm, like nylon tents do.

It will sew with a denim needle and any heavy-duty
home machine, although you probably can't do
rolled seams with anything modern.

How much do you actually need? I've got a fair
amount of 58" wide scrap cluttering up my
diningroom.

--Goedjn

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

Is it practical to just get a big sewing needle (I might have 1),
lay it out, cut the canvas (scissors?) and sew it?

Depends on your reason for covering. Canvas is prone to leaking water
unless properly treated, especially if the material rubs at all. Put some
padding at the corners. Awning material is rather heavy for most home
machines, but you may find some lighter waterproof materials.

Would tyvek work for this. It is supposed to be waterproof and breath.
It is pretty tough too.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:

Would tyvek work for this. It is supposed to be waterproof and breath.
It is pretty tough too.

That's a good idea. Stuff's cheap, use two layers, printed side in,
and strap it on with some bungee cords.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
Hi,

Is it practical to get some scraps from an awning fabricator and
sew or otherwise fashion a cover for the AC Condensing Unit in
my backyard?

For those about to recommend leaving the AC-CU uncovered, don't.
I've already evaluated that, and I definitely need a cover for
my purposes. Also don't need advice re % coverage, etc. I got
that figgered.

Just don't know if canvas is best. Never worked with it.

AC-CU is rectangular, top is about 30" square. The side of the
cover would extend down maybe 18".

Is it practical to just get a big sewing needle (I might have 1),
lay it out, cut the canvas (scissors?) and sew it?

Think plastic drum liner (like a trash bag, only bigger and heavier).

If you insist on sewing, don't. Use glue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Canvas isn't as popular as it once was. I think it wears easily and has
no breathability. (One reason I just put a lid on my condensing unit
was that I read the the commonly sold vinyl covers lack breathability
and actually contribute to corrosion of the unit).

Woven acrylic fabrics are now in common use for marine coverage
applications and outdoor furniture covers. Sunbrella is one popular
brand, but there are others. I see a lot offered on ebay, and actually
found a similar product in a fabric store near us (Joanna's, if that
means anything where you are). It isn't cheap. You will also need
acrylic thread, with everything UV protected for outdoor use.

Some problems with these are that they unravel easily if you cut them
with scissors, so you have to use a hot knife, or pay special attention
to binding and hemming. Another is that few home sewing machines sold
today will handle these fabrics well, particularly when you are sewing
through multiple layers, such as hemming or joining pieces. My wife's
machine, circa 1960, can't handle this stuff; my mother's machine, circa
1950, Singer, does a pretty good job, but some hems I have to do by
hand. A real canvasworker would, of course, use an industrial machine.

You can sew by hand, but it takes a while and will make you realize how
weak your hands were. If you sew by hand, a sailmaker's palm would be
very useful for forcing the needle through the fabric.

Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
Bob F wrote:

Would tyvek work for this. It is supposed to be waterproof and breath.
It is pretty tough too.

That's a good idea. Stuff's cheap, use two layers, printed side in,
and strap it on with some bungee cords.

You would still want to tread the stitching with a product like "Seam
Sealer".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:05:59 -0500, "Not@home" wrote:

Canvas isn't as popular as it once was. I think it wears easily and has
no breathability. (One reason I just put a lid on my condensing unit

What kind of lid did you use?

was that I read the the commonly sold vinyl covers lack breathability
and actually contribute to corrosion of the unit).

I figger a full-coverage cover would. I was thinking of a
1/2 to 2/3 coverage on top of unit. Figgered the wind
blowing thru the bottom would keep it dry.

Woven acrylic fabrics are now in common use for marine coverage
applications and outdoor furniture covers. Sunbrella is one popular
brand, but there are others. I see a lot offered on ebay, and actually
found a similar product in a fabric store near us (Joanna's, if that
means anything where you are). It isn't cheap. You will also need
acrylic thread, with everything UV protected for outdoor use.

Some problems with these are that they unravel easily if you cut them
with scissors, so you have to use a hot knife, or pay special attention
to binding and hemming.

Dunno why I didn't thin of that. For something really small,
a cig lighter will seal cut edges. Not sure how to do it
for a project this size, don't even know what a hot knife is.

Another is that few home sewing machines sold
today will handle these fabrics well, particularly when you are sewing
through multiple layers, such as hemming or joining pieces. My wife's
machine, circa 1960, can't handle this stuff; my mother's machine, circa
1950, Singer, does a pretty good job, but some hems I have to do by
hand. A real canvasworker would, of course, use an industrial machine.

You can sew by hand, but it takes a while and will make you realize how
weak your hands were. If you sew by hand, a sailmaker's palm would be
very useful for forcing the needle through the fabric.

It's by hand or nothin': I got no sewing machine.

Much thanks for a very nice and comprehensive response.

Got to think about thisun a bit ...

Cheers,
Puddin'