Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dolchas

Default Need advice automatic cover for (fiberglass) pool

Greetings all!

My wife and I live in Southern California, and are thinking of getting
a small-ish fiberglass pool (like something from Viking or Hawaiian
Pools). We live on a ranch sort of out in the wilderness, so we (a)
get tons of critters in our yard (from ground squirrels to deer), and
(b) get periodic major winds blowing all manner of dirt and debris
around. Because of those two environmental considerations, we feel we
need to have an automatic cover to protect critters and debris from
getting in the pool.

Firstly, I presume this pretty much limits our pool design choices to
rectangles, yes? I know you can have, lets say, a kidney shaped pool,
and have the cover roll along two parallel tracks set back a few feet
from the edge of the pool (so ultimately a rectangular cover covers
the kidney-shaped pool), but I don't really think this looks too good.
Any other pool cover paradigms that might somehow magically allow me
to use an automatic cover with a small, kidney-shaped pool?

Also, it would be nice, when selecting a pool, to get one that is
designed to facilitate the installation of an automatic pool cover. I
tend not to see claims like "The Tropicana model is designed to neatly
accomodate the PoolSaver 2000 automatic cover." Are auto-covers
always "add-ons" or do some fiberglass pool manufacturers build-in the
potential for an auto-covers?

Any advice on these matters, or on the pros/cons of fiberglass pools
generally are much appreciated! [For the record: Where we live, in an
arid landscape, way up on a hill, I can't imagine we'd have the
problems others have had with the pool "popping out" -- but let me
know if you think we would].

Chuck