Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Anyone make a grill cover that will last more than 1 season?

On 9/6/2011 3:19 PM, Steve B wrote:
talk of "best" bbq cover snipped

I have bought several over the years for various barbecues, and gone through
a few that came with the barbecues. I have a home, a summer cabin, and
three vacation rental houses, so have seen a few.

Out of all of them, those I bought at Lowe's lasted the longest. The one
that lasted the longest was four years. That was 24/7 in the desert heat.
Whether or not one lives in the desert, or in the snowy woods, any 24/7
exposure to sun, wind, snow, rain, or weather in general, a cover has hard
wear. Anything will develop holes and tears and separation quickly.

There is no "best" or perfect cover. You can pay a lot, and perhaps get a
better one, but it won't amortize over the years. It won't last that many
years.

I have a Singer Walking Foot sewing machine, and can build one out of
Sunbrella, one of the finest outdoor canvases in the market. Yet, when I
analyze my time, the cost of materials, and all, I would rather just go get
one at Lowe's that will last three to four years, and do that every few
years.

Steve

What somebody suggested up-thread, a little 3-sided 'tractor shed' to
wheel the thing into after it cools, is sounding better and better. 4
posts plus a little cross-bracing or siding, and a little sloped roof,
should do the trick. In my experience, tarps or covers on equipment
stored outside, often do more harm than good, due mainly to
condensation. You could even combine the shelter with a bird-feeding
platform or plant stand or something.

--
aem sends...