Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Default How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:22:02 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the update. I read it with interest. I see I need to locate the
HP printer drivers for a Win XP version of the laserjet 3200m.

Unfortunately for two days the HP ftp web site has been unable to process
the driver request.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ubmit=Go%20%BB

Maybe it's just me, but this URL times out EVERY time when I try to access
ANY HP driver on that web page!
http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:42:16 -0800, Don Schmidt wrote:

Will this work for you?
HP Solution Center
Select Scanner
Scan Document

The HP SOlution Center would probably work if I could download the Win XP
HP Solution Center printer drivers for the Laserjet 3200m but none of the
drivers are available on the HP web site.

Can someone just try the HP download to see if it's just me or if nobody
can access the printer drivers from the HP ftp site:

Starting at the HP LaserJet 3200m download page: http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ubmit=Go%20%BB

I press on the Windows XP link and then I try to access the firmware, the
drivers, anything ... and all time out and deliver nothing.

It's soooo very frustrating just trying to download a software driver.

I even tried CNET and other links (most of which are trying to sell
driver-detection software) but they pointed back to the bogus HP web site
where the drivers are listed but nobody can get them.

At least I can't. Can you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:26:56 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Are you sure Foxit is supposed to work with scanners?

No. I'm not sure. But I've realized from all your help that the problem is
that I can't download the proper Windows XP drivers for the Laserjet 3200m
from the HP web site.

http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk

Nobody can (as far as I can tell) as I've been trying for two days.

You can click on the link for the driver but it times out, every time.

At least it does for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:37:53 -0500, wrote:

It is pretty easy to find drivers on HP website - need model name and
number.

While it's easy to "find" the drivers, it's frustratingly impossible
to actually DOWNLOAD them from the HP web site!

I have been trying for two days to simply download a single driver
off the HP web site for the WinXP LaserJet 3200m and failed every
time.

Can ANYONE download that driver off the HP web site?
http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk

I got their PDL driver okay (although HP has a ****-poor reputation for
drivers).

Maybe your firewall is getting in the way?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On 02/13/2010 11:32 PM, Brent wrote:

I press on the Windows XP link and then I try to access the firmware, the
drivers, anything ... and all time out and deliver nothing.

It's soooo very frustrating just trying to download a software driver.

I even tried CNET and other links (most of which are trying to sell
driver-detection software) but they pointed back to the bogus HP web site
where the drivers are listed but nobody can get them.

At least I can't. Can you?

Seems to work here. Perhaps you need to try a different browser?
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:30:38 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

slime binned unread

BlunderBird forgery

Filter on

$$gwx18quhxz9-wu_g$qv3bkmank

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On 2/14/2010 12:30 AM, Brent wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:22:02 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the update. I read it with interest. I see I need to locate the
HP printer drivers for a Win XP version of the laserjet 3200m.

Unfortunately for two days the HP ftp web site has been unable to process
the driver request.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ubmit=Go%20%BB

Maybe it's just me, but this URL times out EVERY time when I try to access
ANY HP driver on that web page!
http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228

Brent, that site works for me, on 2/14/10 at 11:44 AM EST. I just downloaded
the "HP Universal Print Drive for Windows PCL6" without a hitch by pressing the
black download button next to the driver's name on the page corresponding to the
link you provided after your text "driver request" in your above e-mail.
Perhaps me or someone else who seems to be able to download from that page can
e-mail the specific driver(s) you want from that page as e-mail attachments? Peter
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 07:24:38 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

Seems to work here. Perhaps you need to try a different browser?

What exact link did you try?

This link does not work for me on multiple computers and on two browsers
(IE 8 and Firefox 3.6 on Windows XP SP3).

It just times out, time after time. I just did it again (see below).

Here's what happens when I go to the HP download driver process:
1. Start at HP support: http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
2. Enter: "LaserJet 3200m"
3. That brings me he http://tinyurl.com/yhn6y3z
4. Press: "Download drivers and software"
5. Press: "HP LaserJet 3200m All-in-One Printer"
6. Which brings me he http://tinyurl.com/yloqjax
7. Press "Microsoft Windows XP"
8. Opens the LaserJet 3200m driver page: http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

I'm not sure which driver is the one I need for the scanner but I haven't
updated the firmware so I tried that first:
a) Click on "Download" for "hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility"
b) Waiting for h20000.www2.hp.com...
c) Transferring data from h20000.www2.hp.com...

And then it times out.

I think the driver I need for the scanner might be embedded he
a) Click on "hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility"
b) Same "waiting for" and "transferring data"
c) But nothing gets downloaded

It finally times out.

I don't see how there's anything on my side stopping it (ActiveX is all
enabled on the IE browser and popups are enabled on both browsers).

Are you sure you were able to download the driver?
What is the file name & file size that you eventually downloaded?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:33:57 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

I got their PDL driver okay (although HP has a ****-poor reputation for
drivers).

Maybe your firewall is getting in the way?

I think I'll disable everything (firewall, antivirus, popupblockers,
activex enabled, etc.) and keep trying ...

Some reported they could download the drivers at http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

Others reported that the HP "site was unavailable"; so I think it might be
a flaky site altogether.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

From: "Peter"

| Brent, that site works for me, on 2/14/10 at 11:44 AM EST. I just downloaded
| the "HP Universal Print Drive for Windows PCL6" without a hitch by pressing the
| black download button next to the driver's name on the page corresponding to the
| link you provided after your text "driver request" in your above e-mail.
| Perhaps me or someone else who seems to be able to download from that page can
| e-mail the specific driver(s) you want from that page as e-mail attachments? Peter

That's neither the hardware driver nor TWAIN driver. That is only the PCL print drver.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 19:37:53 -0500, wrote:

It is pretty easy to find drivers on HP website - need model name and
number.

While it's easy to "find" the drivers, it's frustratingly impossible to
actually DOWNLOAD them from the HP web site!

I have been trying for two days to simply download a single driver off the
HP web site for the WinXP LaserJet 3200m and failed every time.

Can ANYONE download that driver off the HP web site?
http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk

I just downloaded the original driver on my clunky, slow dialup
connection. Took about a minute. I can't imagine what you are doing
wrong in downloading, unless your firewall or super busy traffic blocked
the download.

One of the help documents for your printer says that the default format
for scan-to-email is PDF.....have your tried that?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...tI D=bpl08525

If your printer is 8 years old, you may have different versions of
stuff, like OCR or Acrobat, that aren't compatible. I've had 3 HP
printers and never had trouble getting them to do what I want. Canon
Cannoscan, about 6 mos old, about $80, does everything...scan and save
in many resolutions and formats, including PDF. Can't edit the PDF, of
course, in Acrobat Reader. Tried your scan-to-email to see if PDF works
that way?

There is a bunch of downloadables at the link below, including "Point
and Print Bundle", whatever the heck that is:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228
Posted to alt.home.repair

Brent wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:33:57 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

I got their PDL driver okay (although HP has a ****-poor reputation for
drivers).

Maybe your firewall is getting in the way?

I think I'll disable everything (firewall, antivirus, popupblockers,
activex enabled, etc.) and keep trying ...

Some reported they could download the drivers at http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

Others reported that the HP "site was unavailable"; so I think it might be
a flaky site altogether.

I had no trouble at all navigating the site or downloading on several
diffent tries....if you are on Comcast, that might explain it. POS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:02:32 -0500, wrote:

One of the help documents for your printer says that the default format
for scan-to-email is PDF.....have your tried that?
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...tI D=bpl08525

Once I get the scanner working ... I will try that as it's just what the MD
ordered.

The problem now is finding and getting the LaserJet 3200m "TWAIN" driver at
the HP site: http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:55:56 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

That's neither the hardware driver nor TWAIN driver.
That is only the PCL print drver.

Oh no. It's hard enough to download any driver on the HP ftp site web page,
let alone the right driver!

Of these choices for the LaserJet 3200m http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

Which is the TWAIN driver?

HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5
HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6
HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PostScript

hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility
hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver
hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e point and print bundle
HP LaserJet 3200 PCL 6 driver
HP LaserJet 3200 PCL 6 Point and Print Bundle
HP LaserJet 3200m PCL 5e, PCL 6, PS Driver Bundle
hp LaserJet 3200 software update
HP LaserJet 3200m PS Point and Print Bundle
HP LaserJet Windows XP Communication Patch
HP LaserJet 3200m PS All-In-One Printer

Or are none of these options the TWAIN driver?
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On 02/14/2010 11:38 AM, Brent wrote:

I don't see how there's anything on my side stopping it (ActiveX is all
enabled on the IE browser and popups are enabled on both browsers).

Are you sure you were able to download the driver?
What is the file name& file size that you eventually downloaded?

Followed your link and downloaded "lj623en.exe" successfully at 4.8 mbs.
Using Chrome but just tried it with FF 3.6 with same result.

Just to be sure, here's the page:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Brent wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, "none of them" seems to be the answer:

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...hreadId=950340

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:

1. I go here
http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

2. I select the download button for the
hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility

3. It tries to get this file
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-2/lj623en.exe

4. But the error message invariably is
The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.

Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" at
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-1/lj563en.exe

Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-2/lj623en.exe
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-1/lj563en.exe
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Feb 14, 2:58*pm, Brent beemdoub...@Use-Author-Supplied-
Address.invalid wrote:
Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:

1. I go herehttp://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

2. I select the download button for the
hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility

3. It tries to get this fileftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe

4. But the error message invariably is
The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.

Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" atftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe

Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-1/lj563en.exe

Try getting/downloading the driver from a neighbor's computer and then
transfer it to your computer as an e-mail attachment or on a memory
stick.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Brent wrote:
Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:

1. I go here
http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

2. I select the download button for the
hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility

3. It tries to get this file
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-2/lj623en.exe

4. But the error message invariably is
The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.

Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" at
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-1/lj563en.exe

Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-2/lj623en.exe
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-1/lj563en.exe

Works fine for me, like downloading from HP almost always does. I'm not
a fan of their bloatware client applications, but never had any trouble
finding drivers. Like others have said, I think something about your
connection is choked down, or your firewall is trying to protect you.
You may need to make the HP sites 'trusted sites' in whatever
browser/security/firewall packages you are using.

Of course, until you figure it out, you could always just take the
document down to Kinko's or someplace, and have them scan it to a thumb
drive or disc for you.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Brent wrote:
[...]

Twain driver is probably in Windows....I can't imagine how it interacts
with your printer (or mine) but if you install old software, like your
printer, you might need to make sure WinXP is up to date. From the list
above, my GUESS would be the xp communication patch. On one of the
pages I posted links to, there is the option to let HP look at your
puter to see what it needs. I would definitely try that.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Brent wrote:
Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:

1. I go here
http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

2. I select the download button for the
hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility

3. It tries to get this file
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-2/lj623en.exe

4. But the error message invariably is
The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.

Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" at
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-1/lj563en.exe

Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-2/lj623en.exe
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-1/lj563en.exe

Wonder how you got into FTP??!! When I downloaded a driver, it just
gave me a window to save in.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

aemeijers wrote:
Brent wrote:
[...]

The last time I had a really serious software issue was with the first
version of Win95. But, then, I had been through the trials of Win 3 to
try to overcome their kernel problems....made a computer user of me )

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stepfann King wrote:
Brent wrote in
:

[...]

Look, you've already been told the site is down. Now, you're a troll with
all your excuses. Go to a "help" group and bother them. Take the Home
repair group off your cross post.
p.s. **** off.

The site isn't down. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Address.invalid wrote:
Hours later, I try again, and get a teeny tiny bit farther:

1. I go herehttp://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

2. I select the download button for the
hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility

3. It tries to get this fileftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj623/lj-2479-2/lj623en.exe

4. But the error message invariably is
The server at ftp.hp.com is taking too long to respond.

Likewise with the "hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver" atftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software1/lj563/lj-5504-1/lj563en.exe

Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...lj623en.exeftp...

Try getting/downloading the driver from a neighbor's computer and then
transfer it to your computer as an e-mail attachment or on a memory
stick.

You must have really friendly and trusting neighbors out your way....

--
aem sends....- Hide quoted text -

I would trust my life with most of my neighbors. They are a great
bunch of folks, have known them for at least 15 years and gone thru
births, deaths and marriages during that time.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Address.invalid wrote:
[...]

I don't even know most of my neighbor's names, and have never been in
their houses....
Nothing against them, mind you, it just never came up. We nod and wave
when we are out on our respective evening walks, one guy borrowed my
ladder once (which I happily lent, since he surprised me with a cleared
driveway a couple times before I bought my snow blower), and we shoot
the breeze when a house goes vacant, and all gather for the realtor open
house. But we don't really socialize. Only reason I think some of them
even have computers, is because my router shows them banging on the
door.... (Not on purpose, I'm sure- just typical big-box promiscuous
wireless setups.)

Guess I got stand-offish living in apartments all those decades, what
with the constant turnover, and too-tight quarters. But having an
old-fashioned neighborhood like you do is a very nice thing....

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:38:36 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

Followed your link and downloaded "lj623en.exe" successfully at 4.8 mbs.
Using Chrome but just tried it with FF 3.6 with same result.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228

Thanks Airman! The bad news is I can't (yet) get that file but the good
news is that, if others can get it, then it must be something in my setup.

I'll keep looking at my setup. I think it's in the router more than the
computer if it is, 'cuz I can't get it from multiple computers.

What I will try to do is bring a flash card to the local library, access
this thread, and try to download it from there (I doubt they have
newsreaders but I think google will show this thread ok).

Thanks for confirming that the problem is on my side and not on the HP
side.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:15:53 -0800 (PST), hr(bob) wrote:

Try getting/downloading the driver from a neighbor's computer and then
transfer it to your computer as an e-mail attachment or on a memory
stick.

Oh oh. The answer from Warren Block on 2/14/2010 at
8:48:06 PM seems to be that NONE of the scanner TWAIN drivers are available
directly from HP's free web site.

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:04:11 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

Try getting/downloading the driver from a neighbor's computer and then
transfer it to your computer as an e-mail attachment or on a memory
stick.

You must have really friendly and trusting neighbors out your way....

If that route would have worked, I would have substituted "local library"
for "friendly neighbor".

Either way would work IF HP actually supplied the TWAIN scanner drivers for
the Laser Jet 3200 m on their web site.

But, the message from Warren Block on 2/14/2010 at
8:48:06 PM shows others have tried and failed.

The necessary TWAIN drivers for the scanner on the HP 3200m are NOT
available for free on the HP download site. You have to order a replacement
CDROM.

Now, at least, I know what I need to do. (finally)
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 16:57:04 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

Of course, until you figure it out, you could always just take the
document down to Kinko's or someplace, and have them scan it to a thumb
drive or disc for you.

Actually I ended up taking a photograph of the document and then printing
that photograph to PDF with the cutePDF freeware printer driver.

But the results are substandard - and scanning directly from the HP 3200m
LaserJet to an OCR-capable PDF file on disk is really the way to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:32:55 -0500, wrote:

there is the option to let HP look at your
computer to see what it needs [for a TWAIN scanner driver].
I would definitely try that.

I did try that yesterday. And failed.

1. In Firefox 3.6, on WinXP SP3, I started at the HP driver page for the
Laser Jet 3200m
http://tinyurl.com/yd9qpm5

2. I pressed the HP link titled "Automatically check to see if your driver
needs updating (MS windows only)"
http://www.hp.com/cpso-support-new/S...?lang=en&cc=us

3. On Firefox 3.6, this reported the error:
HP Instant Support - Driver Check
Unsupported Operating System or Browser
Currently HP Instant Support - Driver Check supports
only Windows 2000, Windows XP, and later systems
running Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 5.0 and above.

4. On IE 8.0, this also failed with no errors reported (just a blank page).

End result: Nice idea of HP to check for outdated drivers - but bad
implementation. And, even so, there's great doubt HP would update the TWAIN
drivers (which is what we need to enable the HP LaserJet 3200 m scanner).

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:12:34 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

Actually I ended up taking a photograph of the document
Then printing that photograph to PDF
But the results are substandard

I should mention that the reason the results sucked were mostly that some
strange effect cropped in the picture so that NONE of the four sides were
parallel with each other!

I'm not sure why, but, somehow the camera introduced a bending of the
edges!

Somehow, the 8.5x11 sheet of paper, when photographed, had the sides bent
at a slight angle such that cropping could only be done by cutting into the
margins.

Even then, the edges of the text didn't coincide evenly with the edges of
the cropped edge of the paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

Brent said...

Actually, I meant the "parallel port".

Have you gone into the bios and set the parallel port to 'enhanced' or
'Bi-directional' operation, or tried a USB connection?

The scanner portion of my HP DeskJet is accessible from other programs
using just the Vista basic drivers on USB.

The HP Solution Centre software does offer a 'Scan to PDF option', but
I don't know if it is available for your printer.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On 02/14/2010 11:41 PM, Brent wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:38:36 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

Followed your link and downloaded "lj623en.exe" successfully at 4.8 mbs.
Using Chrome but just tried it with FF 3.6 with same result.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228

Thanks Airman! The bad news is I can't (yet) get that file but the good
news is that, if others can get it, then it must be something in my setup.

I'll keep looking at my setup. I think it's in the router more than the
computer if it is, 'cuz I can't get it from multiple computers.

What I will try to do is bring a flash card to the local library, access
this thread, and try to download it from there (I doubt they have
newsreaders but I think google will show this thread ok).

Thanks for confirming that the problem is on my side and not on the HP
side.

Reading the HP download info, noticed this:

"Note: Some download management or acceleration software may cause
issues with file downloads. Please disable any download management
software if you experience problems downloading a file."

If you're running any of that ilk, could be your problem. Years ago in
dial-up days, I remember GetRight giving me fits, 'til I disabled it for
the particular download.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

Brent wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:12:34 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

Actually I ended up taking a photograph of the document
Then printing that photograph to PDF
But the results are substandard

I should mention that the reason the results sucked were mostly that
some strange effect cropped in the picture so that NONE of the four
sides were parallel with each other!

I'm not sure why, but, somehow the camera introduced a bending of the
edges!

Google "barrel distortion" and "pincushion distortion".

Somehow, the 8.5x11 sheet of paper, when photographed, had the sides
bent at a slight angle such that cropping could only be done by
cutting into the margins.

Even then, the edges of the text didn't coincide evenly with the
edges of the cropped edge of the paper.

Three options.

First, if your lens can fill the frame with the document through its entire
zoom range, try different focal lengths and see if it has a low-distortion
sweet spot--if it does then remember to use that for document copying.

If it doesn't have a sweet spot that's good enough, then you need to do
distortion correction.

To do distortion correction, first check whatever image editor you are using
and see if it has a built in capability--if so try that. If it's not good
enough then you need a third-party product. PTLens works and is cheap, DxO
has more features and is not so cheap. Both have free trials.

Or you can if you are using a DSLR or Micro 4/3 camera get a purpose made
macro lens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/15/2010 10:05 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
Brent wrote:
[...]

If your camera has a moderate number of pixel, instead of making the
document as large a percent of the image as possible, back down and make
the document a much smaller percent of the total image. This should help
with the edge distortion as there is no distortion in the middle area of
most lens.

To get the final image, crop the image to document size. Most text
documents do not require a significant number of pixels in the image to
get a readable image. I have seen 640X480 document images that are
quite readable. Most modern cameras, even with significant cropping
will give you more pixel in the image than 640X480

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:05:19 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Brent wrote:
[...]

Or use any of the super-zoom P&S cameras which have extremely low geometric
distortions. A good example being the Canon Powershot S2, S3, and S5 IS P&S
cameras. All using the same lens design. Perfect for document copying
projects.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page5.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/page5.asp

"Barrel distortion - 1.0% at Wide angle, Equiv. focal length: 36 mm

Pincushion distortion - 0.1% at Telephoto, Equiv. focal length: 432 mm

The S5 IS exhibits remarkably low distortion given the huge focal length
range - 1.1% barrel distortion at the wide end, and no measurable
distortion at all at the full 432mm telephoto end. There is also only
barely measurable - and hardly noticeable - vignetting."

This is something that few if any DSLR lenses can accomplish. There are
other super-zoom P&S cameras from other companies with similar exceptional
performance. Hunt them out. In the above example, the barrel distortion is
mostly at the wide-end and nearly all of the full focal-length zoom range
is devoid of geometric distortion.

No need for overpriced DxO bloatware to try to correct all the problems
with overpriced and special-use DSLR novelty glass.

(When are you DSLR Trolls going to realize that your hopeful imaginings are
never going to win against reality.)

If you absolutely must frustrate yourself with badly corrected and
overpriced DSLR optics, you can get a little break from the money you've
wasted so far by using a free "Lens Correction" plugin from this link

http://www.photo-plugins.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=68&I temid=43
Usable with virtually any editor that supports plugins, including all the
freeware ones.

Granted, there are better plugins out there, and most editors these days
include lens-geometry correction filters already built-in. But if you are
without, the above will probably suffice. Use the zoom buttons and then
move the image so a border of your image is up against the viewing frame,
then make that edge aligned straight with the viewing pane's straight-edge.