Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
Ron Ron is offline

Default How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

On 2/14/2010 9:41 PM, Brent wrote:
On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:38:36 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

Followed your link and downloaded "lj623en.exe" successfully at 4.8 mbs.
Using Chrome but just tried it with FF 3.6 with same result.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228

Thanks Airman! The bad news is I can't (yet) get that file but the good
news is that, if others can get it, then it must be something in my setup.

I'll keep looking at my setup. I think it's in the router more than the
computer if it is, 'cuz I can't get it from multiple computers.

What I will try to do is bring a flash card to the local library, access
this thread, and try to download it from there (I doubt they have
newsreaders but I think google will show this thread ok).

Thanks for confirming that the problem is on my side and not on the HP
side.

A later poster mentioned potential problems with download managers. In
FF 3.6, have you tried right-clicking on the link to do a "Save link
as..." I've gotten things onto the desktop the way I used to with FF.

hth

Ron Moore
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Brent wrote:
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:22:02 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWAIN

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the update. I read it with interest. I see I need to locate the
HP printer drivers for a Win XP version of the laserjet 3200m.

Unfortunately for two days the HP ftp web site has been unable to process
the driver request.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...ubmit=Go%20%BB

Maybe it's just me, but this URL times out EVERY time when I try to access
ANY HP driver on that web page!
http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&swEnvOID=228

Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?

///Peter

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.text.pdf,alt.comp.freeware

Peter Flynn wrote:
(snip)
Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?

///Peter

He can't find it. BTDT, usually on a second-hand printer, or because the
idiot contractors that support us at work throw out any CDs that haven't
been used in a couple of years, and only keep one set of disks for each
flavor of printer. (Install 50 printers just alike, keep one set of
disks, throw the rest away. I always look in the dumpsters when I pass
them, and my CYA collection has saved the day more than once.)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 02:48:33 +0000, Stepfann King wrote:

" wrote in
:

Stepfann King wrote:
Brent wrote in
:

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:55:56 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

That's neither the hardware driver nor TWAIN driver.
That is only the PCL print drver.
Oh no. It's hard enough to download any driver on the HP ftp site
web page, let alone the right driver!

Of these choices for the LaserJet 3200m http://tinyurl.com/y9m742c

Which is the TWAIN driver?

HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL5
HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6
HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PostScript

hp LaserJet 3200 firmware update utility
hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e driver
hp LaserJet 3200 PCL 5e point and print bundle
HP LaserJet 3200 PCL 6 driver
HP LaserJet 3200 PCL 6 Point and Print Bundle
HP LaserJet 3200m PCL 5e, PCL 6, PS Driver Bundle
hp LaserJet 3200 software update
HP LaserJet 3200m PS Point and Print Bundle
HP LaserJet Windows XP Communication Patch
HP LaserJet 3200m PS All-In-One Printer

Or are none of these options the TWAIN driver?

Look, you've already been told the site is down. Now, you're a troll
with all your excuses. Go to a "help" group and bother them. Take
the Home repair group off your cross post.
p.s. **** off.

The site isn't down. If you don't like the thread, don't read it.

You can **** off,too.

OOOOOOooooooo! that really turns some of us on when you talk that way big
boy. you sound sssooooooooooooo manly! OOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
can you make a pdf document, too?

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:34:37 -0000, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Have you gone into the bios and set the parallel port to 'enhanced' or
'Bi-directional' operation, or tried a USB connection?

I'm hoping to stay away from the BIOS. There is only one USB port on my
laptop so I keep it only for the keyboard and mouse (which is attached to
the USB on the keyboard).

I'll stick with the serial port which it has been using since 2001.

Hopefully I won't have to mess with the BIOS just to get scanning done.
I did finally download the HP scanner software (whew!) and am testing it
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:55:13 -0600, Airman Basic wrote:

Reading the HP download info, noticed this:
"Note: Some download management or acceleration software may cause
issues with file downloads.

Hi Airman,
I'm sure I have something on my setup now that I know others can get the HP
software from http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200

The good news is that my lack of ability to download from that HP driver
site won't matter because the TWAIN drivers I need aren't there.

The good news is I did find the TWAIN drivers based on the information from
Warren (Warren Block 2/14/2010 8:48:06 PM).
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...hreadId=950340

It took 3 tries but I've now downloaded the HP software for the TWAIN
drivers (271 MB zip file) from someone who posted it on the Internet and
installed it. It was dated in the year 2000 so it's old (even older than my
2001 HP LaserJet 3200 printer) but it seems to now allow the scanner to be
recognized.

It's still not scanning to PDF but I'm working on that problem now (which
is a totally different issue now than not having the TWAIN

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:31:37 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-2/lj623en.exe
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-1/lj563en.exe

Works for me

Thanks Peter.

I found out the LaserJet 3200 TWAIN drivers are NOT on the HP web site
http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200

Turns out someone posted the entire HP 271Mb CDROM as a zip file he
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...hreadId=950340

A few of those HP CDROM links and torrernts didn't work but this one worked
on the 3rd try:
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

So now I have the HPLJ3200 "TWAIN" drivers installed (these files were from
2000 which predates my printer mfg date of 2001 though).

The hp laser jet 3200m printer is still not scanning to PDF (yet) but at
least the printer is recognized as a scanner (which it wasn't before).
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:31:07 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:
The only known solutions for the HP LJ 3200m are the following:
a) Find the original CDROM that came with the HP LJ 3200m in 2001
b) Order from HP the WinXP replacement CDROM TWAIN drivers (at some cost)
c) Find where someone has kindly made the CDROM available for download

To report back to the team, the TWAIN drivers are definitely not on the HP
support pages: http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200

Warren Block confirmed that in this URL:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/...hreadId=950340

Most of the links in that URL were dead but this one worked on the 3rd try:
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

The software is huge and OLD (it predates the printer mfg date) but once I
installed the 271 Mbytes, it added something called "HP LaserJet Device
Configuration", and "Scandrivers and Copier Software", and "Screen Fonts",
and "Readiris Pro 6.0 OCR Application", etc.

Now Scan2PDF recognizes the printer as a scanner.

I still haven't gotten the setup to scan to PDF but now the problem is
muuuuuch simpler. It's just to find which freeware to use to scan a
document to PDF (which was the original question).
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:29:02 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?

I would if I could find them. I bought the HP LaserJet 3200m
printer/scanner in 2001 for over $650 (which was a lot in those days for a
B&W printer).

I've moved twice since then; and changed computers multiple times; and,
well, if I knew then that it was nearly impossible to find the TWAIN
drivers for the computer, I'd have put the original CDROM in a safety
deposit box or something.

Whew! I can't believe how hard it was to find basic HP scanner drivers!
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printer,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:42:43 -0500, aemeijers wrote:

BTDT, usually on a second-hand printer

I don't know what BTDT means but thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I lost the original HP TWAIN driver CDROM after changing PCs and
moving a couple of times.

While "printer" drivers are easy to find, I thought (like others did) that
HP "scanner" drivers could just as easily be downloaded from the HP web
site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200

Sad to say, there are NO TWAIN drivers for the scanner on HP's web site!

From the Warren Block pointer, I finally found a posted huge 271 MB zip
file of the ancient HP CDROM on the Internet (dated 2000 whereas I bought
my laserjet for $650 new back in 2001).

It's still not scanning to PDF but at least the scan2pdf freeware
application is recognizing the scanner! (success almost at last)

Note to self:
If I had known that it was nearly impossible to find HP scanner drivers, I
would have archived the CDROM in a safety deposit box at the bank!

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Ron wrote:
A later poster mentioned potential problems with download managers.

Hi Ron,

My download problem on the HP driver site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200
seems to only be on my side so I agree, my many download managers may be
getting in the way (mostly for downloading Utube and Flash FLV videos and
then stripping out the audio into MP3 files).

But it turns out to be a red herring because Warren Block's URL shows me
that NOBODY can get the TWAIN drivers for their HP scanner/printer from the
HP support site!
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...hreadId=950340

Trying every single torrent and rapidshare in that thread, this one finally
worked on the 3rd try to download the original HP TWAIN drivers in a 271
Mbyte zip file.
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

One problem is these TWAIN drivers are from 2000 and my printer was bought
new in 2001 for $650 (which was a lot of money for a B&W printer in those
days) but at least the scan2pdf freeware now recognizes the scanner!

I don't yet have the scanning to PDF working but I'm hoping I can report it
working soon.

In hind sight, if I had known how impossible it is to obtain HP drivers, I
would have put the original HP CDROM in a safety deposit box so that it
could be used after multiple PCs and moves occurred since 2001.

Lesson learned!
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

From: "Brent"

| On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Ron wrote:
A later poster mentioned potential problems with download managers.

| Hi Ron,

| My download problem on the HP driver site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200
| seems to only be on my side so I agree, my many download managers may be
| getting in the way (mostly for downloading Utube and Flash FLV videos and
| then stripping out the audio into MP3 files).

| But it turns out to be a red herring because Warren Block's URL shows me
| that NOBODY can get the TWAIN drivers for their HP scanner/printer from the
| HP support site!
| http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...mit=109447627+
| 1266179829676+28353475&threadId=950340

| Trying every single torrent and rapidshare in that thread, this one finally
| worked on the 3rd try to download the original HP TWAIN drivers in a 271
| Mbyte zip file.
| http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

| One problem is these TWAIN drivers are from 2000 and my printer was bought
| new in 2001 for $650 (which was a lot of money for a B&W printer in those
| days) but at least the scan2pdf freeware now recognizes the scanner!

| I don't yet have the scanning to PDF working but I'm hoping I can report it
| working soon.

| In hind sight, if I had known how impossible it is to obtain HP drivers, I
| would have put the original HP CDROM in a safety deposit box so that it
| could be used after multiple PCs and moves occurred since 2001.

| Lesson learned!

There 'ya go.

That 270MB installer is the complete package to allow the OS to scan and print.
There is NO reason to go into the BIOS, you problem is purely a software problem realted
to your HP hardware.

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
ray ray is offline

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:47:05 +0000, Brent wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:31:37 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

Can anyone else get these HP software driver URLs?
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-2/lj623en.exe
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/softwar...-1/lj563en.exe

Works for me

Thanks Peter.

I found out the LaserJet 3200 TWAIN drivers are NOT on the HP web site
http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200

Turns out someone posted the entire HP 271Mb CDROM as a zip file he

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...tionanswer.do?

admit=109447627+1266179829676+28353475&threadId=95 0340

A few of those HP CDROM links and torrernts didn't work but this one
worked on the 3rd try:
http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

So now I have the HPLJ3200 "TWAIN" drivers installed (these files were
from 2000 which predates my printer mfg date of 2001 though).

The hp laser jet 3200m printer is still not scanning to PDF (yet) but at
least the printer is recognized as a scanner (which it wasn't before).

imagemagick will quickly and easily convert most image files to pdf.
Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

From: "Brent"

| On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 11:37:27 -0800, Ron wrote:
A later poster mentioned potential problems with download managers.

| Hi Ron,

| My download problem on the HP driver site http://www.hp.com/support/lj3200
| seems to only be on my side so I agree, my many download managers may be
| getting in the way (mostly for downloading Utube and Flash FLV videos and
| then stripping out the audio into MP3 files).

| But it turns out to be a red herring because Warren Block's URL shows me
| that NOBODY can get the TWAIN drivers for their HP scanner/printer from the
| HP support site!
| http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...mit=109447627+
| 1266179829676+28353475&threadId=950340

| Trying every single torrent and rapidshare in that thread, this one finally
| worked on the 3rd try to download the original HP TWAIN drivers in a 271
| Mbyte zip file.
| http://s197185871.onlinehome.us/hpdownloads/

| One problem is these TWAIN drivers are from 2000 and my printer was bought
| new in 2001 for $650 (which was a lot of money for a B&W printer in those
| days) but at least the scan2pdf freeware now recognizes the scanner!

| I don't yet have the scanning to PDF working but I'm hoping I can report it
| working soon.

| In hind sight, if I had known how impossible it is to obtain HP drivers, I
| would have put the original HP CDROM in a safety deposit box so that it
| could be used after multiple PCs and moves occurred since 2001.

| Lesson learned!

There 'ya go.

That 270MB installer is the complete package to allow the OS to scan and print.
There is NO reason to go into the BIOS, you problem is purely a software problem realted
to your HP hardware.

Of course 250MB of that is for dancing bunny animated graphics. Even 20MB is
overkill for the functionality provided.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

Brent wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:29:02 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?

I would if I could find them. I bought the HP LaserJet 3200m
printer/scanner in 2001 for over $650 (which was a lot in those days for a
B&W printer).

I've moved twice since then; and changed computers multiple times; and,
well, if I knew then that it was nearly impossible to find the TWAIN
drivers for the computer, I'd have put the original CDROM in a safety
deposit box or something.

Whew! I can't believe how hard it was to find basic HP scanner drivers!

There are a lot of dusty old pack rats on the web - I don't believe any
software is impossible to find. Could probably find the OS for my
hubby's Commodore 64 ) I think he said it has 3k of memory )

Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:30:04 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

That 270MB installer is the complete package to allow the OS to scan and print.

Yes. Lesson(s) learned.

The only reason the complete HP package didn't work at first to create a
PDF from scan2PDF freeware was that I needed to reboot the PC (I'm always
reluctant to reboot as I wonder what the PC does during the reboot that it
can't do w/o a reboot.)

Anyway, after the PC reboot I did the following and it worked just fine:

1. I put the piece of paper to be scanned to PDF into the printer
2. I started scan2PDF freeware
3. I checked that the HP printer was a scan2PDF source (it was)
4. I pressed the scan2PDF scan button which initiated a scan on the printer
5. The result was a PDF in scan2PDF that I simply saved to my hard disk.

Wow. How simple it all is once the TWAIN drivers were installed!
(OCR will be a whole 'nother ball game ... I'll look for freeware OCR
software separately.)

Lesson(s) learned:
- While HP printer drivers are easy to find, HP TWAIN drivers are not!
- Without the HP TWAIN driver, the scanner just won't work
- With an HP TWAIN driver, scanning to PDF is as simple as Scan2PDF

Scan2PDF version 1.7 Windows/Vista freewa
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html
http://www.brothersoft.com/scan2pdf-download-37141.html
http://download.cnet.com/Scan2PDF/30...5_4-75851.html
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...Scan2PDF.shtml

Note Scan2PDF freeware also combines PDF files into a single multi-page
PDF.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 05:36:57 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

It wasn't easy, and it took two days, but thanks to you, I can write how to
scan color files to PDF on an HP laserjet 3200m black and white printer.

1. SAVE the original CD that comes with the HP 3200m printer!!!!!!

Note: Step 1 cannot be stressed enough; HP TWAIN drivers are not on the HP
web site! You can ONLY get the TWAIN drivers by calling HP support or by
finding a CDROM on the Internet (which I found out at
http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/...hreadId=950340
).

2. Once you install the HP TWAIN drivers, then (and only then), obtain and
install a copy of scan2PDF 1.7 freeware.

3. Simply place the document(s) in the HP printer feed tray to be scanned
and press the scan button on scan2PDF (after selecting the HP printer as
your scan source).

4. When scanning is done, simply press the scan2PDF save button to save the
scanned documents as a PDF file.

Voila!
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,comp.text.pdf,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware

Scan2PDF v1.7 freeware scans paper files to PDF files and also combines
multiple PDF files and digital photos into a single multi-page PDF.

Scan2PDF version 1.7 Windows/Vista freeware can be downloaded from:
- http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html
- http://www.brothersoft.com/scan2pdf-download-37141.html
- http://download.cnet.com/Scan2PDF/30...5_4-75851.html
- http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...Scan2PDF.shtml

Brent
Note: Next is finding the best OCR freeware to use on the results.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 05:36:26 +0000 (UTC), Brent
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 13:19:59 -0800 (PST), hr(bob) wrote:

Are you trying to scan/convert a text document to text and then
convert to pdf, or do you want to go directly from whatever is scanned
to pdf???

All I want is what anyone would want which is to feed a piece of paper in
the printer (scan it) and have it show up on the Windows XP PC as a PDF
file.

I realize now I don't have the scanner drivers but when I go to the
scanners control panel, it doesn't have any entry for the HP 3200m Laserjet
printer.

And, as I noted, the HP web site doesn't allow downloads of the drivers for
this printer (at least I can't get them to download).
http://tinyurl.com/ye47hqk

I tried downloading the one for the All in One. That downloaded OK.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 21:18:21 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I tried downloading the one for the All in One. That downloaded OK.

Thanks Mark,
It turned out to be something (as yet still unexplained) on my side that
wouldn't allow me to download the HP printer drivers.

But, in the end, it didn't matter because the TWAIN drivers for the
scanners aren't available on the HP web site.

Thanks,
Brent

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:37:00 -0500, "
wrote:

Brent wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:29:02 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?

I would if I could find them. I bought the HP LaserJet 3200m
printer/scanner in 2001 for over $650 (which was a lot in those days for a
B&W printer).

I've moved twice since then; and changed computers multiple times; and,
well, if I knew then that it was nearly impossible to find the TWAIN
drivers for the computer, I'd have put the original CDROM in a safety
deposit box or something.

Whew! I can't believe how hard it was to find basic HP scanner drivers!

There are a lot of dusty old pack rats on the web - I don't believe any
software is impossible to find. Could probably find the OS for my
hubby's Commodore 64 ) I think he said it has 3k of memory )

The 20K OS was burnt into ROM on the C-64. The 64 in the name referred to
the 64K of available RAM, though only 38K of it was available for BASIC
programming. Though you can find the OS and many C-64 emulators online
today

The Bally Arcade sold in 1977-78 with the drop in BASIC cartridge had 2K of
RAM and 2K of ROM. It preceded the C-64 by a couple years. You'd be
surprised what you can author in only 2K of RAM if you are creative enough.
When I see what bloatware-programmers can't even implement in 2M today I
have a good laugh at them. I had a few games and utilities published for
the Bally Arcade. My favorite being one called "A-Mazed in Space". That one
was the ultimate programming discipline to fit it all in only 2K of RAM
while written in BASIC, not one byte wasted. It would construct a new
random maze of any complexity or dimensions from user input. Then you had
to fly up to 4, player controlled, 8-direction-retrorocket spacecrafts
through it in zero-gravity without hitting another's spacecraft or wall, or
it would blow up your spacecraft and send you back to the start. Complete
with all the bells and whistles of colors, sound effects, and warning text
displayed while playing.

Programming on the Bally Arcade was a fun challenge in the use of 4 color
"shift" keys on a 24-keypad so the 20 other keys would have full
alpha-numeric and BASIC command input. They implemented the first use of
saving and loading your programming to an audio-cassette recorder through
the use of a modem. I sill have mine. A method that Commodore adopted later
for their C-16 and C-64.

I was hopeful that Bally would have pursued their next phase of computer
with the Zgrass programming language in it, the very same graphics
programming that was used to create the special effects in the movie "2001:
A Space Odyssey", but unfortunately the mucky-mucks at Bally put their
money into gyms instead of computers and their next computer was never
realized. I was forced to move to Commodore. I think I still have the
pre-order form in my "collectibles" cabinet, in anticipation for when it
was going to be manufactured and released but never was. I suspect the CEOs
of Bally are probably kicking themselves today with every step on their
stair-masters in their temples of self-worship. Though that too was a good
financial move it was nowhere near to what they could have been sitting on
today had they developed their computer line instead. Jocks are never very
intelligent. The phrase "dumb jock" was epitomized by the CEOs of Bally.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

? ?????? ??? ??????
Brent wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 20:29:02 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:

Why not use the install disk that came with the printer?

I would if I could find them. I bought the HP LaserJet 3200m
printer/scanner in 2001 for over $650 (which was a lot in those days for
B&W printer).

I've moved twice since then; and changed computers multiple times; and,
well, if I knew then that it was nearly impossible to find the TWAIN
drivers for the computer, I'd have put the original CDROM in a safety
deposit box or something.

Whew! I can't believe how hard it was to find basic HP scanner drivers!

There are a lot of dusty old pack rats on the web - I don't believe any
software is impossible to find. Could probably find the OS for my hubby's
Commodore 64 ) I think he said it has 3k of memory )

** COMMODORE 64 BASIC V 2.0 **
64 K RAM SYSTEM
38911 BASIC BYTES FREE
READY
:-)
Spend most of my adolesence (my free time, obviously) on my best friend's
c-64. There were also manu Cold War inspired games (Raid over Moscow was
one).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:04:26 -0600, ron_tom
wrote:

[snip]

Could probably find the OS for my
hubby's Commodore 64 ) I think he said it has 3k of memory )

The 20K OS was burnt into ROM on the C-64. The 64 in the name referred to
the 64K of available RAM, though only 38K of it was available for BASIC
programming.

The previous machine, the Commodore VIC-20 (The worlds first color
computer for under $300) came with 5K RAM (3.5K available for BASIC
programs). There was an additional 1K*4 bit RAM for color. It was
possible to add 24K additional RAM using a plug-in cartridge (plus
another 3K and 8K, but the screen makes it non-contiguous)

Though you can find the OS and many C-64 emulators online
today

The Bally Arcade sold in 1977-78 with the drop in BASIC cartridge had 2K of
RAM and 2K of ROM. It preceded the C-64 by a couple years. You'd be
surprised what you can author in only 2K of RAM if you are creative enough.

I wrote a BASIC expansion (called BASIC PLUS) for the C-64, which was
designed to fit into the lo cartridge address space ($8000-$9FFF). I
really got a lot into that 8K. I added a version for the C-128 too.

BTW, these Commodore machines had very slow disk drives. A 1200BPS
modem was faster.

[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"How could you ask me to believe in God when there's
absolutely no evidence that I can see?" -- Jodie Foster
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:03:15 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:04:26 -0600, ron_tom
wrote:

[snip]

Could probably find the OS for my
hubby's Commodore 64 ) I think he said it has 3k of memory )

The 20K OS was burnt into ROM on the C-64. The 64 in the name referred to
the 64K of available RAM, though only 38K of it was available for BASIC
programming.

The previous machine, the Commodore VIC-20 (The worlds first color
computer for under $300) came with 5K RAM (3.5K available for BASIC
programs). There was an additional 1K*4 bit RAM for color. It was
possible to add 24K additional RAM using a plug-in cartridge (plus
another 3K and 8K, but the screen makes it non-contiguous)

Right after I hit send, I remembered the VIC. =) I ran into them when I was
fixing friend's computers that wanted me to add in the extra SID chip to
their C-64's for stereo.

Though you can find the OS and many C-64 emulators online
today

The Bally Arcade sold in 1977-78 with the drop in BASIC cartridge had 2K of
RAM and 2K of ROM. It preceded the C-64 by a couple years. You'd be
surprised what you can author in only 2K of RAM if you are creative enough.

I wrote a BASIC expansion (called BASIC PLUS) for the C-64, which was
designed to fit into the lo cartridge address space ($8000-$9FFF). I
really got a lot into that 8K. I added a version for the C-128 too.

I vaguely recall using that. =)

HEX editing printer drivers was my main ML coding at the time, trying to
get obscure printers to work with the C-64/128's at the highest resolutions
possible. My earliest full-color printer with the CMYK ink bands on the
ribbon was a real challenge to get it to work in GEOS. It finally produced
some fairly decent images at something like 280dpi. Quite the feat for what
is originally a 72dpi platform. I had built an NTSC to GIF converter board
and wanted to print some of those captures from my VHS-recorder and VHS
video camera. The days before they contained the tape within the camera
itself. =)

The C-128 with the RAM expansion pack, still hooked up in the basement with
the GEOS operating systems on it, was my first taste of CP/M. When I later
migrated into DOS I realized there was some major Gate's thievery going on.
There was virtually no difference between the two. My previous CP/M
experience making the move totally painless. About the only difference
being that .COM and .BAT files were named by different extensions, which I
forget at the moment.

BTW, these Commodore machines had very slow disk drives. A 1200BPS
modem was faster.

[snip]

A whopping 168k on a single-sided 5.25" floppy! At the allotted 1-2 hour a
day access to BBS's it would take a good 3-7 days to download a new game or
application to fill a 168k floppy. The days when shareware actually meant
SHAREware. Today it's been renamed to freeware after the greedy and
self-serving usurped the title of community shareware. My box of 8" 168k
floppies in storage is even more fun to look at. There's also an
interesting 150 baud modem in that storage pile. It weighs about 30-40
lbs., the size of a medium suitcase. You have to hardwire the phone line,
no modular plugs back then.

Interesting (to me) I found I can type faster than 300 baud modems. Chats
were highly annoying. Did you ever lose connection on a P2P file transfer
in Punter protocol and had to resume it by one party typing GOOGOOGOO...
real fast and the other typing ACKACKACK... ? ("go" and "acknowledge")
Those were the days ... =)

The more interesting thing about these old "slow" machines is that they
weren't all that slow at the time. Programmers had the discipline to
tighten up their code, making every byte count within those limited memory
constraints. I attribute the eventual move from 1MHz to 3.4GHz CPUs being
caused by really sloppy programmers and those that got paid by how many
lines of code as opposed to functionality--bloatware. They wondered why
their programs ran so slow, always blaming the CPU speed instead of their
own terrible programming skills. By using some creative thinking I found a
way to scan all 4 game-controllers' switches and pots in that Bally Pro
Arcade with only 3 short lines of BASIC for a 4-player "Simon" game I
wrote. Those 3 lines becoming a real assist for any later BASIC programs.
Run Windows 3.1 on a present PC machine sometime. Be amazed at the blinding
speed at which it operates.

This off-topic got me interested in searching out emulators for these old
machines. I found a program called MESS at .org. Then on rapidshare I found
a pack of 631 gaming-machine and early computer ROM images to plug into it.
Everything from my first gamer the Odyssey II with PONG (1974-75? still
have it), to Gameboys, Playstations, Kaypros, early Macs, TI's, and
C-128's, etc. It'll be a fun walk through nostalgia-land.

I'm glad someone brought this up. This was a good "net-suck".

[Net-suck: n. Minding your own business on the net and you see some
obscure thing that triggers a memory and you are sucked into the net into a
remote and distant place that had absolutely nothing to do with what you
had intended on accomplishing. The original reason for surfing now just an
obscure memory. Usage: (usually derogatory) "Well there goes 7 hours of my
life I'll never get back, all thanks to that nasty net-suck."]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware

In rec.photo.digital Brent wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:12:34 +0000 (UTC), Brent wrote:

Actually I ended up taking a photograph of the document
Then printing that photograph to PDF
But the results are substandard

I should mention that the reason the results sucked were mostly that some
strange effect cropped in the picture so that NONE of the four sides were
parallel with each other!

I'm not sure why, but, somehow the camera introduced a bending of the
edges!

Somehow, the 8.5x11 sheet of paper, when photographed, had the sides bent
at a slight angle such that cropping could only be done by cutting into the
margins.

Even then, the edges of the text didn't coincide evenly with the edges of
the cropped edge of the paper.

That's usually the photographer, not the camera. It's caused by not
having the viewing axis of the camera exactly perpendicular to the
plane of the painting. If you're not used to doing that it's a tricky
thing to get right.