Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.periphs.printers,alt.comp.freeware
Brent[_3_] Brent[_3_] is offline

Default How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:30:04 -0500, David H. Lipman wrote:

That 270MB installer is the complete package to allow the OS to scan and print.

Yes. Lesson(s) learned.

The only reason the complete HP package didn't work at first to create a
PDF from scan2PDF freeware was that I needed to reboot the PC (I'm always
reluctant to reboot as I wonder what the PC does during the reboot that it
can't do w/o a reboot.)

Anyway, after the PC reboot I did the following and it worked just fine:

1. I put the piece of paper to be scanned to PDF into the printer
2. I started scan2PDF freeware
3. I checked that the HP printer was a scan2PDF source (it was)
4. I pressed the scan2PDF scan button which initiated a scan on the printer
5. The result was a PDF in scan2PDF that I simply saved to my hard disk.

Wow. How simple it all is once the TWAIN drivers were installed!
(OCR will be a whole 'nother ball game ... I'll look for freeware OCR
software separately.)

Lesson(s) learned:
- While HP printer drivers are easy to find, HP TWAIN drivers are not!
- Without the HP TWAIN driver, the scanner just won't work
- With an HP TWAIN driver, scanning to PDF is as simple as Scan2PDF

Scan2PDF version 1.7 Windows/Vista freewa
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scan2pdf.html
http://www.brothersoft.com/scan2pdf-download-37141.html
http://download.cnet.com/Scan2PDF/30...5_4-75851.html
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-...Scan2PDF.shtml

Note Scan2PDF freeware also combines PDF files into a single multi-page
PDF.