Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Brent[_3_] Brent[_3_] is offline

Default How do you create a PDF by copying a page in an HP printer/copier?

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:32:55 -0500, wrote:

there is the option to let HP look at your
computer to see what it needs [for a TWAIN scanner driver].
I would definitely try that.

I did try that yesterday. And failed.

1. In Firefox 3.6, on WinXP SP3, I started at the HP driver page for the
Laser Jet 3200m
http://tinyurl.com/yd9qpm5

2. I pressed the HP link titled "Automatically check to see if your driver
needs updating (MS windows only)"
http://www.hp.com/cpso-support-new/S...?lang=en&cc=us

3. On Firefox 3.6, this reported the error:
HP Instant Support - Driver Check
Unsupported Operating System or Browser
Currently HP Instant Support - Driver Check supports
only Windows 2000, Windows XP, and later systems
running Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE) 5.0 and above.

4. On IE 8.0, this also failed with no errors reported (just a blank page).

End result: Nice idea of HP to check for outdated drivers - but bad
implementation. And, even so, there's great doubt HP would update the TWAIN
drivers (which is what we need to enable the HP LaserJet 3200 m scanner).