Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antifreeze - not just for cars

Hint: the furnace requires electricity.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family
member's
house. The power got shut off, and the house is cold
inside.

why not just turn the heat on?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sewage processing plants have to dump the water some where.
Oddly enough, things (like antibiotics, and medications)
have made the full circle from sewer back to domestic water.
Which is why the old "flush pills down the toilet" is poor
advice. Much better they should be wrapped in several layers
of plastic bag, and put in the trash.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Tony wrote:

I'm hoping you bought RV type antifreeze and not
automobile type. You
don't want to flush auto stuff down the drains to
contaminate the water
supply.

the drains don't go to the water supply. duh.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had glass crack, in the freezer. Many years ago, and my
parents were not pleased. Admittedly it was a full glass
bottle with a cap screwed on. I'm fairly sure ice expands
sidways, so it would crack in any case.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

If I put liquid in a glass jar, but leave enough headroom
and don't tighten
the lid, I can put that jar in the freezer and the jar won't
break because
there's room for expansion. With me so far?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The Ball canning guide says otherwise. Many uncracked jars in my freezer
over the years are also evidence to the contrary. But this doesn't matter.
If you think there is NOT room for expansion in the u-shaped drain traps, I
really want to hear about it. I'm a very curious guy.

.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

If I put liquid in a glass jar, but leave enough headroom
and don't tighten
the lid, I can put that jar in the freezer and the jar won't
break because
there's room for expansion. With me so far?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

Unless the drains were clogged, why would there be any water
in them?

CY: The drains would only have waer, if they were horizontal
runs.

OK. I didn't realize we were talking about incorrectly installed pipes. My
bad.

And
what little is left in the traps would have plenty of room
for expansion.

CY: I think I remember hearing of traps cracking. The ice
expands sideways.

What you need to do is shut off the main water supply valve,
and then drain
as much water as you can from the supply pipes by turning on
ALL the taps,
especially the one in the laundry sink (in the basement), if
there is a tap
down there.

CY: Yes, there is a laundry sink. I'm also concerned the
water pipes may have low spots or horizontal runs. Might not
be able to get there with my generator and compressor.

Just shut off the water and then rent a movie, fer cryin' out loud. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's house. The
power got shut off, and the house is cold inside. Down to 37, last he
checked. Four burneers on the stove for an hour raises the temp two
entire degrees.

Last night, we put RV antifreeze in the drain traps. Toilets, sinks,
showers. We considered the dishwasher. But that hadn't run in six month
or so, and probably the trap dried out. Washing machine is in the
cellar, and should stay warmer.

For $3.97 that might be a lot cheaper than replacing a bunch of broken
pipes. I got to thinking. On the way home, I bought myself a jug of
antifreeze. Might never need it. But it might be cheaper than replacing
a bunch of pipes and such if I need it here, or for a friend some day.

I'm hoping you bought RV type antifreeze and not automobile type. You
don't want to flush auto stuff down the drains to contaminate the water
supply.

the drains don't go to the water supply. duh.

Does your theory apply to everywhere in the country, regardless of the
source of drinking water?

This is a trap. Tread carefully.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, what you're saying is that you used RV antifreeze?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I wrote it, meant it, said it, and stand by it. "We put RV
antifreeze...."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tony" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:09:38 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's
house. The power got shut off, and the house is cold inside.
Down to 37, last he checked. Four burneers on the stove for
an hour raises the temp two entire degrees.

Last night, we put RV antifreeze in the drain traps.
Toilets, sinks, showers. We considered the dishwasher. But
that hadn't run in six month or so, and probably the trap
dried out. Washing machine is in the cellar, and should stay
warmer.

Water freezing in a drain trap will expand without breaking the
surrounding plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's
house. The power got shut off, and the house is cold inside.
Down to 37, last he checked. Four burneers on the stove for
an hour raises the temp two entire degrees.

Last night, we put RV antifreeze in the drain traps.
Toilets, sinks, showers. We considered the dishwasher. But
that hadn't run in six month or so, and probably the trap
dried out. Washing machine is in the cellar, and should stay
warmer.

Water freezing in a drain trap will expand without breaking the
surrounding plumbing.

Even if a trap cracked, how much water is in the typical trap? Between a cup
and a quart at the most? How's that going to cause major damage to a house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in ...

wrote:

Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's
house. The power got shut off, and the house is cold inside.
Down to 37, last he checked. Four burneers on the stove for
an hour raises the temp two entire degrees.

Last night, we put RV antifreeze in the drain traps.
Toilets, sinks, showers. We considered the dishwasher. But
that hadn't run in six month or so, and probably the trap
dried out. Washing machine is in the cellar, and should stay
warmer.

Water freezing in a drain trap will expand without breaking the
surrounding plumbing.

Even if a trap cracked, how much water is in the typical trap? Between a cup
and a quart at the most? How's that going to cause major damage to a house?- Hide quoted text -

think toilet trap, cracked toilets, traps buried in cielings etc etc.

its best to blow down the supply lines but he did the best he
could....

I once worked where the building froze, the management thught they
drained the sprinkler system

but trapped water split some sprinlker lines and caused a deluge when
water was turned back on by authorties....

the company finally closed completely
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 11:32�am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in ...

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. Sounds like a drain trap trap?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

the drains don't go to the water supply. duh.

Does your theory apply to everywhere in the country,
regardless of the
source of drinking water?

This is a trap. Tread carefully.

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is a slight chance that might be what I meant. I'll
have to go scroll back and see.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
So, what you're saying is that you used RV antifreeze?

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message

"Tony" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

You mean, if the trap freezes, the faucets aren't affected?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message

Water freezing in a drain trap will expand without breaking
the
surrounding plumbing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rental property. Next tenants may very well be idiots.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...

Water freezing in a drain trap will expand without
breaking the
surrounding plumbing.

Even if a trap cracked, how much water is in the typical
trap? Between a cup
and a quart at the most? How's that going to cause major
damage to a house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Very well said.

That's essentially what I was thinking.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

think toilet trap, cracked toilets, traps buried in cielings
etc etc.

its best to blow down the supply lines but he did the best
he
could....

I once worked where the building froze, the management
thught they
drained the sprinkler system

but trapped water split some sprinlker lines and caused a
deluge when
water was turned back on by authorties....

the company finally closed completely

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 8:17*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
[...]

JSB & CY-

I've frozen a few things in glass over the years in the freezer and
outside.....jsut a curious kid with an understanding dad.

My comment is...if the glass has any importance, dont do it.

Sometimes they break but most of the time they don't. I think it has
to do with the shape of the containter AND with how (from where) it
starts to freeze. My theory is, if the top froze first, it created
a "cap" and didnt allow the ice to grow in height.

CY- When water freezes it expansion in all directions. Just like when
a homogeneous material (like a block of metal) is subject to unifrom
heating, it grows in all three axes.

But lets not get started on a discussion of what happens when a metal
washer is heated....

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

+++

I don't intentionaly do it, but as I remember, if you freeze water in a
glass (open or closed), it can break. Probably determined by the strength of
the glass.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

==========

Let's introduce the mineral content of the water in question.

Or not. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 9:21*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
[...]

Unless the drains were clogged, why would there be any water in them? And
what little is left in the traps would have plenty of room for expansion.
What you need to do is shut off the main water supply valve, and then drain
as much water as you can from the supply pipes by turning on ALL the taps,
especially the one in the laundry sink (in the basement), if there is a tap
down there.

Why is the power off? Reasons beyond the owner's control, or what?- Hide quoted text -

When water freezes it is solid and not compressible and will expand in
all directions. What normally happens is that continued freezing and
thawing expands the pipe a little each time until eventually it
breaks.

Anything that lowers the freezing point of water will help.