Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Antifreeze - not just for cars

On Dec 9, 8:17*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
The Ball canning guide says otherwise. Many uncracked jars in my freezer
over the years are also evidence to the contrary. But this doesn't matter..
If you think there is NOT room for expansion in the u-shaped drain traps, I
really want to hear about it. I'm a very curious guy.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

I've had glass crack, in the freezer. Many years ago, and my
parents were not pleased. Admittedly it was a full glass
bottle with a cap screwed on. I'm fairly sure ice expands
sidways, so it would crack in any case.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in

If I put liquid in a glass jar, but leave enough headroom
and don't tighten
the lid, I can put that jar in the freezer and the jar won't
break because
there's room for expansion. With me so far?

JSB & CY-

I've frozen a few things in glass over the years in the freezer and
outside.....jsut a curious kid with an understanding dad.

My comment is...if the glass has any importance, dont do it.

Sometimes they break but most of the time they don't. I think it has
to do with the shape of the containter AND with how (from where) it
starts to freeze. My theory is, if the top froze first, it created
a "cap" and didnt allow the ice to grow in height.

CY- When water freezes it expansion in all directions. Just like when
a homogeneous material (like a block of metal) is subject to unifrom
heating, it grows in all three axes.

But lets not get started on a discussion of what happens when a metal
washer is heated....

cheers
Bob