Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antifreeze - not just for cars

It's an older house, probably 30 plus years old. VERY easy
to have saggy horizontals.

Is it (typically) easier to pour antifreeze into the pipes,
or blow the water out?

Me smells a troll ..........

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 7:09*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's
house. The power got shut off, and the house is cold inside.
Down to 37, last he checked. Four burneers on the stove for
an hour raises the temp two entire degrees.

Last night, we put RV antifreeze in the drain traps.
Toilets, sinks, showers. We considered the dishwasher. But
that hadn't run in six month or so, and probably the trap
dried out. Washing machine is in the cellar, and should stay
warmer.

For $3.97 that might be a lot cheaper than replacing a bunch
of broken pipes. I got to thinking. On the way home, I
bought myself a jug of antifreeze. Might never need it. But
it might be cheaper than replacing a bunch of pipes and such
if I need it here, or for a friend some day.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You could use a plunger on a sink (new would be a good choice) and get
nearly all the water out (pushing not pulling).

bob_v

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Around here it occasionally gets cold enough to damage plumbing
but the temp has to drop to 15F or lower for several days before
there is a plumbers bonanza. It's my understanding that in colder
parts of the country, folks setup the plumbing system so that it's
easily drained and also configured in such a way that compressed
air can be used to blow out any residual water. It seems to me that
a plumbing company could have a service where they could justify
the expense of a large high volume air compressor like those used
for jackhammers and go from one customer to another to clear their
lines or blow a nontoxic antifreeze mix through a system. With all
of the foreclosures going on, the creditors would probably have an
interest in some sort of mothballing service.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tony wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
Tony wrote in news:7o9qloF3ou993U1
@mid.individual.net:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's
house. The power got shut off, and the house is cold inside.
Down to 37, last he checked. Four burneers on the stove for
an hour raises the temp two entire degrees.

Last night, we put RV antifreeze in the drain traps.

I'm hoping you bought RV type antifreeze and not automobile type.
You don't want to flush auto stuff down the drains to contaminate
the water supply.

OK, OK, I see it! Gawd, please help me read more betterer.

It's just your turn Tony :-) That's neeeeever happened to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think I know these people, or one of their 400,000 clones!

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I finally gave up on the friendship, after the third time in
a couple months that I got sick from contact. Twice was they
didn't tell me the 5 year old nephew had a cold, and the
other time was when he fixed me a salmonella burger. So, I'm
no longer in contact.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
I can tell. Your friend needs to get to an AA meeting, and
quick.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
He also says they got a dog some time after the pipes in
the
cellar came up missing. I've heard of AC units getting
stripped while at the curb side. Actually, I've driven
past
and seen curbside AC with the copper yanked out. And the
copper coil from TV sets, those get yanked.

Who can tell?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The sink and toilet traps have been antifreezed. Now, the
concern turns to pipes in the walls.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob Villa" wrote in message

You could use a plunger on a sink (new would be a good
choice) and get
nearly all the water out (pushing not pulling).

bob_v

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm with you. I'd like to see some kind of service like
that. It may exist already, I'm not sure.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antifreeze - and welfare people

I'm in NYS, and a friend of mine in South Carolina knows an
identical someone. Product of the welfare system. Born,
bred, and kept alive by taxpayer dollars. The person in
question has been employed, for up to a couple weeks at a
time. Married a welfare woman, with three welfare daughters.
Mom watches Rikki Lake, Sally Jessy, and all the daytime
drams. The three daughters now in their teens all have
boyfriends, and one also has girlfriends. Lives at present
entirely on taxpayer dollars. Declares that it's not
welfare. It's some other program, but not welfare. Watches
Cable TV, with cable internet, smokes, and has already been
brought back to life after a massive heart attack. Takes
four or five pills a day, paid by the tax payer. Gave up
salt for his health, but still smokes two packs a day. Packs
which are purchased with tax payer money.

Did you hear about the guy who had a clone made of himself?
Problem is, the clone had a potty mouth. Finally he pushed
the clone to his death, off a cliff. The police charged him
with making an obscene clone fall.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
I think I know these people, or one of their 400,000 clones!

Posted to alt.home.repair

DRUM CRASH!

It's fun to hear people talking about NY as if it's all like NYC &
Westchester. But, as you've seen, there's an awful lot of banjo country out
this way.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In places like the Adirondacks, there ARE people who handle these services,
because of the high number of vacation homes which are closed up for winter.
Might also be that way in the Finger Lakes summer rental zone.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

you never want sewer gas to be allowed in your home!!

sewer gas can have gasoline, natural gas and other explosive vapors
besides bad stink.

the cost of antifreeze is low, the cost of fixing the damage can be a
killer

Posted to alt.home.repair

And the cows. You're right, people talk about NYS like it's
all Bronx.

Do you wake up with the wease on 96? Do you know what a
white hot is? Is lilac festival a reason to wear snow gear?
Does the Breeze make you groan, for wasted tax payer money?
Is a corn hill festival a place to get sunburn, or get AIDS?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
DRUM CRASH!

It's fun to hear people talking about NY as if it's all like
NYC &
Westchester. But, as you've seen, there's an awful lot of
banjo country out
this way.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
I'm in NYS, and a friend of mine in South Carolina knows
an
identical someone. Product of the welfare system. Born,

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
you never want sewer gas to be allowed in your home!!

sewer gas can have gasoline, natural gas and other explosive vapors
besides bad stink.

the cost of antifreeze is low, the cost of fixing the damage can be a
killer

I thought this section of the thread was about using a compressor to blast
residual water out of THE SUPPLY PIPES, and whether there were people who
would provide this service.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antifreeze - in New York

When I was a little guy, we used to vacation in the
Adirondaks. Fishing, and get away from it all. The cabins we
rented had no insulation. I'm sure they had to be drained
and had the pipes blown out for winter. Many in the finger
lakes, likely the same way. I've been to some homes where
the driveway is vertical, and I've had to pray for safety on
the way in, or the way out. Winter? Forget it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
In places like the Adirondacks, there ARE people who handle
these services,
because of the high number of vacation homes which are
closed up for winter.
Might also be that way in the Finger Lakes summer rental
zone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

- Only deaf people listen to WCMF. They intentionally induce distortion into
their signal. Sounds like a phonograph needle with a ball of dust on it.

- White hots are not hot dogs. The only real hot dogs are made by Sabrett
and Hebrew National, and are apparently illegal around here.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

There are a few of those vertical driveways on the west side of Irondequoit
Bay, but they're year-round homes. A couple have 149 steps to get down from
the street. "Honey - we have to tip the movers $500 each...." :-)

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not much interested in rock, nor rap and black on 104,
is it DKX?

Yeah, white hots are closer to sausage. Not heard of that
brand, probably cause they aren't commonly found.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow, that's a lot like work. How many deer did you hit, this
year, in Durand? Do you support feeding the deer, or
shooting? Did the "police snipers" do OK?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in