Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Antifreeze - not just for cars

"mm" wrote

I didnt' know the head came off. Thanks.

Probably varies with brands.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:36:46 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You think we should clean up our crappy language?

at least flush your mouth out with soapy water!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:36:46 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You think we should clean up our crappy language?

at least flush your mouth out with soapy water!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not a communist! I voted for Stalin!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message

Being Mormon, and the house belongs to a practicing
Mormon,
that's more likely to be a rootbeer than a real beer.

I can't believe you said that. You are obviously a
communist. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's an older house, probably 30 plus years old. VERY easy
to have saggy horizontals.

Is it (typically) easier to pour antifreeze into the pipes,
or blow the water out?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:36:13 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

That's my concern. Might be horizontal pipes with sags.

A 1/2 inch pipe that is run more or less horizontal but is
3/4 inch
higher at one end than the other is enough to cause a
disaster.

Now think about how easy it would be for that condition to
exist!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 9, 6:05*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
During the phase change from liquid water to solid ice, the
water (ice) expands. It can easily crack the pipe. So that
when the weather warms up, the drain trap leaks.

I don't believe it can crack the pipe.

As the water turns to ice it expands, true. But in a p-trap it's got PLENTY
of space to expand into (like millions of cubic feet) - in both directions.

Well as I said earlier the slug of water expands in all directions.
Not just the directions in line with the pipes. The pressure that
causes is more than enough to fracture stone so the piping has no hope
of surviving the experience. Every time the hunters have used the
toilets after they were antifreeze treated the toilets break and that
is just because the antifreeze is diluted with urine. When they are
also fastidious enough to use the sink the S trap breaks. So from
experience I can tell you that if the water hard freezes in the trap
it will fracture.
--
Tom Horne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Muslims don't have a hotel? All that money, and no hotel?
Well, with the island of Dubai, who needs a hotel. I think
they have a bunch of hotels, and corner stores in the US.

You know why India women have that dark spot in their
forehead? On the wedding night, the groom has to scratch it
off, and see if he got a 7-11, a bodega, or a taxicab.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
But the Muslims don't have their own official hotel. So they
suck. :-)

http://www.palmyrainn.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Use a sink sprayer hose, and make it a swirly?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jules" wrote
in message
news On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 15:36:46 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You think we should clean up our crappy language?

at least flush your mouth out with soapy water!

Posted to alt.home.repair

They may own hotels, but are they official Muslim hotels, built specifically
to cater to a pilgrimage? I don't know. But Mormons have one!

Have you ever experienced this amazing show?

http://www.hillcumorah.org/Pageant/Default.aspx

.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
But the Muslims don't have their own official hotel. So they
suck. :-)

http://www.palmyrainn.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Only if the water supply enters the house above all the other pipes, which
is an arrangement I don't think is very common on this planet. Now, if you
change the word "pour" to "pump", you may have a chance of this discussion
ending before a week from next Tuesday.

wrote:

That's my concern. Might be horizontal pipes with sags.

A 1/2 inch pipe that is run more or less horizontal but is
3/4 inch
higher at one end than the other is enough to cause a
disaster.

Now think about how easy it would be for that condition to
exist!

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Only if the water supply enters the house above all the other pipes,
which is an arrangement I don't think is very common on this planet.
Now, if you change the word "pour" to "pump", you may have a chance
of this discussion ending before a week from next Tuesday.

huh? for most of the houses in az, the water supply enters about 3' up an
outside wall, and all pipes are below the slab except for stubs coming up
where there is a valve.

wrote:

That's my concern. Might be horizontal pipes with sags.

A 1/2 inch pipe that is run more or less horizontal but is
3/4 inch
higher at one end than the other is enough to cause a
disaster.

Now think about how easy it would be for that condition to
exist!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure about the Muslim pilgrimage hotels. As to
Pageant, yes, I've heard of it. And I've also been in the
audience to see it. Rather impressive. Also rather
spiritual, and a great way for the church to get the word
out. The Spirit of the Lord is strong there, and helps
people to decide to join the church.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
Only if the water supply enters the house above all the other pipes,
which is an arrangement I don't think is very common on this planet.
Now, if you change the word "pour" to "pump", you may have a chance
of this discussion ending before a week from next Tuesday.

huh? for most of the houses in az, the water supply enters about 3' up an
outside wall, and all pipes are below the slab except for stubs coming up
where there is a valve.

So, pouring would get the anti-freeze to the 2nd floor. Right?

Yes?

Base your response ONLY on the word "pouring".

Posted to alt.home.repair

I figured there had to be some way to use a garden sprayer,
and adapt it some how, to a garden hose. Maybe a lot of duct
tape, and a couple hose clamps. Use that to pump antifreeze
into the water lines.

Of course, when the house is reoccupied, they would have to
flush a bunch of water through the lines, to clear the
antifreeze.

The water inlet is through the cellar floor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
Only if the water supply enters the house above all the
other pipes, which
is an arrangement I don't think is very common on this
planet. Now, if you
change the word "pour" to "pump", you may have a chance of
this discussion
ending before a week from next Tuesday.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The house in question is in NY. Water supply comes through
the floor, and goes up from there.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"charlie" wrote in message

huh? for most of the houses in az, the water supply enters
about 3' up an
outside wall, and all pipes are below the slab except for
stubs coming up
where there is a valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that's a real life experience field report. Thanks for
the dose of reality.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tom Horne" wrote in message

Well as I said earlier the slug of water expands in all
directions.
Not just the directions in line with the pipes. The
pressure that
causes is more than enough to fracture stone so the piping
has no hope
of surviving the experience. Every time the hunters have
used the
toilets after they were antifreeze treated the toilets break
and that
is just because the antifreeze is diluted with urine. When
they are
also fastidious enough to use the sink the S trap breaks.
So from
experience I can tell you that if the water hard freezes in
the trap
it will fracture.
--
Tom Horne

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:09:38 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

It's an older house, probably 30 plus years old. VERY easy
to have saggy horizontals.

Is it (typically) easier to pour antifreeze into the pipes,
or blow the water out?

Pouring antifreeze into the pipes would have the same problem as
trying to use gravity alone to drain them.

So, do you want easy that doesn't work? In that case, why bother doing
anything? Doing nothing would be even easier, and just as effective!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

That's my concern. Might be horizontal pipes with sags.

As long as the low parts are not more than half filled with water they
are unlikely to burst. Same goes with traps. If there is only enough
water to half fill the bottom of the trap, they usually won't split.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Route 21 is two lanes, north and south of the visitor
center. Opens up to 4 lanes, by the visitor center and the
Pageant. Sorry it delayed your fishing. It's usually busy
only from about 8 PM to midnight.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
message ...
All I know is that the traffic kept me from getting to a
fishing hole early
enough one day. It's just a 2-lane road leading to that
festival.

Have you ever experienced this amazing show?

http://www.hillcumorah.org/Pageant/Default.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

I doubt human lung power would do the job. A pump top garden
sprayer, and some duct tape, and the end off a garden hose,
maybe. And a couple hose clamps.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus