Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Antifreeze - not just for cars

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:09:38 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's
house. The power got shut off, and the house is cold inside.
Down to 37, last he checked. Four burneers on the stove for
an hour raises the temp two entire degrees.

Last night, we put RV antifreeze in the drain traps.
Toilets, sinks, showers. We considered the dishwasher. But
that hadn't run in six month or so, and probably the trap
dried out. Washing machine is in the cellar, and should stay
warmer.

Water freezing in a drain trap will expand without breaking the
surrounding plumbing.

Even if a trap cracked, how much water is in the typical trap? Between a cup
and a quart at the most? How's that going to cause major damage to a house?