Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Antifreeze - not just for cars

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Tony wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Friend of mine, is acting as caretaker for a family member's house. The
power got shut off, and the house is cold inside. Down to 37, last he
checked. Four burneers on the stove for an hour raises the temp two
entire degrees.

Last night, we put RV antifreeze in the drain traps. Toilets, sinks,
showers. We considered the dishwasher. But that hadn't run in six month
or so, and probably the trap dried out. Washing machine is in the
cellar, and should stay warmer.

For $3.97 that might be a lot cheaper than replacing a bunch of broken
pipes. I got to thinking. On the way home, I bought myself a jug of
antifreeze. Might never need it. But it might be cheaper than replacing
a bunch of pipes and such if I need it here, or for a friend some day.

I'm hoping you bought RV type antifreeze and not automobile type. You
don't want to flush auto stuff down the drains to contaminate the water
supply.

the drains don't go to the water supply. duh.

Does your theory apply to everywhere in the country, regardless of the
source of drinking water?

This is a trap. Tread carefully.