Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric mower / trimmer?

Michael Dobony wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:05:20 -0700, Winston wrote:

Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ex...mmers/RY26000#
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ex...ments/RY15702#

My friend does not want to use any gas-powered tools because of
reliability and noise.

She has been attacking the weeds with a standard A.C. powered 'Weed wacker'.
(Black and Decker 'Grass Hog'). Clearly, the fibrous stalks are more
than a match for the weak 'fishing line'. She is well on her way to
trashing her second 'Grass Hog'.

I think that an A.C. powered mower / trimmer would work a lot better
for her but my Google-fu fails to locate anything like that.
Lots of gas powered units but nothing quieter and reliable.

A standard A.C. mower isn't going to work on these monster weeds
because they grow very high, astoundingly quickly.

Short of slicing the front wheels off an A.C. mower, what
can I do to help her be self-sufficient?

Thanks!

--Winston

Roundup?

Machete?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael Dobony wrote:
(...)

Roundup?

Roundup wasn't effective against these weeds.
My friend had used Roundup effectively in
years past against other weeds, but these
are really nasty.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

(...)

Machete?

My friend is about 5' tall, so she'd need a 4' long
machete. Hmmm, maybe a sharpened golf club.

No. Too much work.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scythe, ala Grim Reaper.
But I am familiar with the B&D mower you mention.
A neighbor was wrestling it around, and it just wasn't able to
climb the weeds, and it was obviously not suited for the task.
And I couldn't cut a notch in the front with my angle grinder,
because the front wheels are on a bar that runs in front.
We found a scythe at a country hardware store, never a
problem again.

On Aug 17, 7:25*pm, Winston wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

(...)

Machete?

My friend is about 5' tall, so she'd need a 4' long
machete. *Hmmm, *maybe a sharpened golf club.

No. *Too much work.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

Roundup wasn't effective against these weeds.
My friend had used Roundup effectively in
years past against other weeds, but these
are really nasty.

Thanks!

--Winston

There are other herbacides effective against woody plants. Crossbow and
Garlon come to mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"If it isn't working, do it harder!"

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Instead of just knocking the weeds down, though, you really
should be
looking at ways to KILL them. Insanity is defined as
performing the
same task over and over and expecting a different result.
Cutting the
weeds down obviously isn't working, as they just grow back
faster.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps you should leave her alone with her own problem,
then? Bet she hates it when you force solutions on her.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message

I want to emphasize that my friend is a very independent
type
who needs to accomplish this task by herself. Perhaps you
have met that type of person?

Thanks!

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just walk away. It's her problem, not yours. Leave it be.
You can't do much with help rejecting complainers.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Winston" wrote in message

Nup. Look up 'Stubborn' in the dictionary.
You will see a picture of my friend.
I bought her a 4 stroke gas lawn mower.
She sold it in a garage sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:

She has been attacking the weeds with a standard A.C. powered 'Weed
wacker'.
(Black and Decker 'Grass Hog'). Clearly, the fibrous stalks are more
than a match for the weak 'fishing line'. She is well on her way to
trashing her second 'Grass Hog'.

You might want to look into getting a different trimmer head. There are
some bladed heads which are compatible with electric trimmers. Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Grass-Gator-36..._bxgy_hi_img_c
Posted to alt.home.repair

Michael B wrote:
Scythe, ala Grim Reaper.
But I am familiar with the B&D mower you mention.
A neighbor was wrestling it around, and it just wasn't able to
climb the weeds, and it was obviously not suited for the task.

Yup. I did that as a youngster.
Sometimes "Hand me the Crescent Hammer" doesn't even begin
to work.

And I couldn't cut a notch in the front with my angle grinder,

Heh! I was thinking of doing the same thing!

I was stopped by the fact that sometimes these weeds are
found in 'clumps', too wide to accommodate anything larger
than a bare blade.

because the front wheels are on a bar that runs in front.
We found a scythe at a country hardware store, never a
problem again.

Yup. If my friend had the upper body strength to
swing a scythe, I doubt I would be in the trouble-
shooting process *anywhere*.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pat wrote:
Roundup wasn't effective against these weeds.
My friend had used Roundup effectively in
years past against other weeds, but these
are really nasty.

Thanks!

--Winston

There are other herbacides effective against woody plants. Crossbow and
Garlon come to mind.

Ah! Excellent!

I will tell my friend.

Thank you!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Perhaps you should leave her alone with her own problem,
then? Bet she hates it when you force solutions on her.

You wouldn't know it from my suave, debonair
delivery on USENET, but I have yet to develop
the sophistication to allow my friends to think
my proffered solution was their idea all along.

This is unfortunate because like most folks on
this forum, I find 'engineering challenges'
fascinating. Mostly I enjoy the expression on
the face of my friends when they 'get' a
concept I've been trying to communicate.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Just walk away. It's her problem, not yours. Leave it be.
You can't do much with help rejecting complainers.

Ah the joy of bashing my head against
the wall!

It feels *so good* when I stop.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

For a 1/4 acre lot use a gasoline-powered weedeater. A cheap pair of
shop earmuffs will offer ear protection. I find weedeaters very
reliable and they can cut through raspberry bushes.

If she insists on the under-powered electric trimmers, a sickle can
come in handy when unwilling to keep up with the growth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Paulsen wrote:
Winston wrote:

She has been attacking the weeds with a standard A.C. powered 'Weed
wacker'.
(Black and Decker 'Grass Hog'). Clearly, the fibrous stalks are more
than a match for the weak 'fishing line'. She is well on her way to
trashing her second 'Grass Hog'.

You might want to look into getting a different trimmer head. There are
some bladed heads which are compatible with electric trimmers. Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Grass-Gator-36..._bxgy_hi_img_c

Great minds and all that, Mike.

That's the exact one I bought two weeks ago when my friend
broke the spool assembly on her first trimmer.

Though it may be "compatible with 99% of all gas trimmers"
as it says on the package, the 'Grass Hog' A.C. trimmer
will not accommodate it. Indeed, 'Black and Decker' does not
even show up as a compatible brand on the manufacturer's
website:

http://www.cmdproducts.com/makes.html

Good thought though.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman wrote:

(...)

For a 1/4 acre lot use a gasoline-powered weedeater. A cheap pair of
shop earmuffs will offer ear protection. I find weedeaters very
reliable and they can cut through raspberry bushes.

Yup. The 2 stroke brush cutter I used originally worked well,
though as it dulled, it beat the stalks into submission rather
than cut them cleanly. I *was* able to slice through all
the weeds in both front and back yards in an afternoon on only
about 3/4 a tank of gas.

My friend does not get any joy out of coaxing a small gas engine
to life, the way you and I do. She will happily spend 50x the time
using a tool she can understand.

If she insists on the under-powered electric trimmers, a sickle can
come in handy when unwilling to keep up with the growth.

She really doesn't have the strength necessary to be effective
with a sickle or scythe. Heck, I doubt that *I* do.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

I understand that it is possible on an intellectual level
not to like little gas engines.

A Shindaiwa doesn't require a "Briggs Mind Meld".

A beautiful machine, no doubt.
I am sure it is easier to use than the 2 stroke
brush cutter I used for the purpose initially.

My friend refuses to deal with gas powered tools.

That's OK. I refuse to eat cooked spinach.

(...)

I want to emphasize that my friend is a very independent type
who needs to accomplish this task by herself. Perhaps you
have met that type of person?

Yes, I have, but I call them "idiots". They don't want to use the
correct tool for the job and don't want to pay someone who will use the
correct tool for the job.

Now Pete, name calling isn't necessary.

She should be able to get 10 A at 120 V out of a 14 AWG
extension cord measuring 75' in length. So that's 1200 W
or 1.6 HP. My little 30cc brush cutter does an acceptable
job with only 1.0 HP, so it isn't unreasonable to ask for
an A.C. brush cutter, is it?

Factor in voltage drop and motor efficiency and you'll be lucky to get
even close to 1 real HP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:
Winston wrote:

[...]

Well then, it's time to get serious.

Mount a hedge trimmer in front of the mower.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-H...dp/B0012FU2BO/
(only half joking)

2. Drip torch or propane weed burner. (and a cell phone to call 911)

3. Have the lot plowed/tilled and raked. Hopefully that'll disrupt the
established weeds and she'll be able to stay ahead of whatever comes back.

Of course, showing her this thread and telling her to stop being such a
PITA wouldn't be out of line either, but I sense that's not going to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Winston wrote:

Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot.

Having cruised through all 59 articles in the thread, I'll add my 2
cents worth of random thoughts:

Someone suggested mowing twice per week, and you said the weeds grow
faster than that. Bull****. Nothing grows that fast. A good electric
should be able to handle it if she stays on top of the situation.

For cutting them down when she fails to get out there twice per week, an
electric hedge trimmer should do it.

If she really is OK, as you suggested, with working 50 times as long on
it, then get her a little one-hand bypass pruner.

It's only 1/4 acre. Tell her to dig the damn things out with a shovel,
one at a time.

But mostly, I agree with those who suggested walking away from someone
who refuses to accept expert advice on how to deal with the situation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

She should be able to get 10 A at 120 V out of a 14 AWG
extension cord measuring 75' in length. So that's 1200 W
or 1.6 HP. My little 30cc brush cutter does an acceptable
job with only 1.0 HP, so it isn't unreasonable to ask for
an A.C. brush cutter, is it?

Factor in voltage drop and motor efficiency and you'll be lucky to get
even close to 1 real HP.

Electric motors generally exceed 80% efficiency.
Gas motors rarely exceed 25% efficiency.

Figure less than 6 V drop for a 75 foot extension cord
at 15A and less than 4 V drop at 10A.
120 - 6 = 114 V. That'd work great!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Paulsen wrote:

(...)

Well then, it's time to get serious.

Mount a hedge trimmer in front of the mower.
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-H...dp/B0012FU2BO/
(only half joking)

Hey, I'm about to cut an electric lawnmower in half.
Desperate times require desperate measures.
(Right turns are to be made carefully, Left turns
can be accomplished at high speed.)

2. Drip torch or propane weed burner. (and a cell phone to call 911)

Mmmm. No.
I barely got away with the 2 stroke 'whacker the first time.

3. Have the lot plowed/tilled and raked. Hopefully that'll disrupt the
established weeds and she'll be able to stay ahead of whatever comes back.

Yup. That's first prize. A full size rear-tine tiller would work a treat.
It wouldn't be admitted onto the property unless it was battery powered.

(Only slightly kidding.)

Of course, showing her this thread and telling her to stop being such a
PITA wouldn't be out of line either, but I sense that's not going to work.

You sense correctly.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ROUNDUP"..the Generic version (about half the cost of the "real"
stuff )available at WalMart labelled "Eliminator" Weed & Grass Killer ,
41% Glyphosate

http://www.expotv.com/Eliminator-Weed-Killer/28-DH3

Get a quart for $ 14.97 or half gallon for less than $ 30, mix it in your
Tank sprayer at about 5 oz/2 gal and kill 'em dead ! They won't be
back..

These weed laughed at several applications of real,
branded Roundup. They came back, time after time.

NOT USING THE RIGHT MIXTURE..Dont use RTU..get the 41% and use 5 OZ per 2
gal tank sprayer. After they're dead, you have to remove all the
debris/seeds etc. Dormant seeds are not killed by Roundup..they'll sprout
after a good rain. It may take a few cycles to get them all but it will
work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

She should be able to get 10 A at 120 V out of a 14 AWG
extension cord measuring 75' in length. So that's 1200 W
or 1.6 HP. My little 30cc brush cutter does an acceptable
job with only 1.0 HP, so it isn't unreasonable to ask for
an A.C. brush cutter, is it?

Factor in voltage drop and motor efficiency and you'll be lucky to get
even close to 1 real HP.

Electric motors generally exceed 80% efficiency.
Gas motors rarely exceed 25% efficiency.

Figure less than 6 V drop for a 75 foot extension cord
at 15A and less than 4 V drop at 10A.
120 - 6 = 114 V. That'd work great!

--Winston

Good electric motors exceed 80% efficiency, cheap electric motors as
used in electric trimmers - not even close.

Gas motors may not be very efficient fuel wise, but a 1hp gas motor
outputs 1hp as long as it has fuel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:

3. Have the lot plowed/tilled and raked. Hopefully that'll disrupt the
established weeds and she'll be able to stay ahead of whatever comes back.

Yup. That's first prize. A full size rear-tine tiller would work a treat.
It wouldn't be admitted onto the property unless it was battery powered.

(Only slightly kidding.)

Think diesel tractor...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Winston wrote:

Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot.

Having cruised through all 59 articles in the thread, I'll add my 2
cents worth of random thoughts:

Someone suggested mowing twice per week, and you said the weeds grow
faster than that. Bull****.

Nup. I said that an electric mower would work if the 'weeds would
grow more slowly'. The weeds are now at 4+ feet in height.
An electric mower answers the wrong question. She needs the
weeds eliminated, or a way to handle them quickly and quietly if
she should let them grow too high.

Nothing grows that fast. A good electric
should be able to handle it if she stays on top of the situation.

Nup. She does not want to turn this into a hobby. If she did,
she'd just plant grass or garden.

Another grouper (Thanks again, Pat) very recently suggested herbicides
effective against these weeds. That is exactly the right answer
if it gives my friend the 'bare lot' look she seeks.

For cutting them down when she fails to get out there twice per week, an
electric hedge trimmer should do it.

Nup. Hedge trimmers work great on thin non-fibrous plant matter.
These weeds are something else entirely. They have a thick stalk
with a central core composed of hundreds of thin fibers. A hedge
trimmer would just jam or eject the stalk out the side, unharmed.
I've used my gas brush cutter *only once*. It was on these weeds
and the blade is totaled. I can recover by grinding the blade
but my point is that these weeds are not wimpy *at all*.

If she really is OK, as you suggested, with working 50 times as long on
it, then get her a little one-hand bypass pruner.

She finds the 'Grass Hog' requires no squatting or bending.

It's only 1/4 acre. Tell her to dig the damn things out with a shovel,
one at a time.

I'm liking the recent herbicide suggestion instead.

Privately, I conjecture that the infestation started with weed
seeds dropped from cut stalks. We don't need that again.

But mostly, I agree with those who suggested walking away from someone
who refuses to accept expert advice on how to deal with the situation.

Very occasionally, she accepts advice; her life improves as a result.
That is a Good Thing. Most of the time it takes a while before she
remembers it as 'her idea'. Yes, she is a character.

Aren't we all?

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
"ROUNDUP"..the Generic version (about half the cost of the "real"
stuff )available at WalMart labelled "Eliminator" Weed & Grass Killer ,
41% Glyphosate

http://www.expotv.com/Eliminator-Weed-Killer/28-DH3

Get a quart for $ 14.97 or half gallon for less than $ 30, mix it in your
Tank sprayer at about 5 oz/2 gal and kill 'em dead ! They won't be
back..

These weed laughed at several applications of real,
branded Roundup. They came back, time after time.

NOT USING THE RIGHT MIXTURE..Dont use RTU..get the 41% and use 5 OZ per 2
gal tank sprayer. After they're dead, you have to remove all the
debris/seeds etc. Dormant seeds are not killed by Roundup..they'll sprout
after a good rain. It may take a few cycles to get them all but it will
work.

The lady had successfully used mix - it - yourself Roundup
for many years against several kinds of weeds.
She knows how to do that properly. Several applications
later, these weeds still stand. If she has not gotten
a counterfeit jug of Roundup, we exhausted the potential
of that particular chemical.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

(...)

Good electric motors exceed 80% efficiency, cheap electric motors as
used in electric trimmers - not even close.

Gas motors may not be very efficient fuel wise, but a 1hp gas motor
outputs 1hp as long as it has fuel.

Either approach would work great.

I hear as a general rule of thumb that it takes
more 'HP' of gas engine to provide the same 'power'
as that of a same-rated electric motor under load.
I know, it sounds like nonsense on the face of it.
I suspect it has something to do with the different
torque curves of the two, though I don't know for sure.

http://www.evconvert.com/eve/electric-car-motors

The electric type would be very much quieter
and easier for her to use. Most importantly,
she *would* use it instead of getting rid of
it in a garage sale.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:
3. Have the lot plowed/tilled and raked. Hopefully that'll disrupt the
established weeds and she'll be able to stay ahead of whatever comes back.

Yup. That's first prize. A full size rear-tine tiller would work a treat.
It wouldn't be admitted onto the property unless it was battery powered.

(Only slightly kidding.)

Think diesel tractor...

I want one of those, too.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:42:46 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

She should be able to get 10 A at 120 V out of a 14 AWG
extension cord measuring 75' in length. So that's 1200 W
or 1.6 HP. My little 30cc brush cutter does an acceptable
job with only 1.0 HP, so it isn't unreasonable to ask for
an A.C. brush cutter, is it?

Factor in voltage drop and motor efficiency and you'll be lucky to get
even close to 1 real HP.

Electric motors generally exceed 80% efficiency.
Gas motors rarely exceed 25% efficiency.

Figure less than 6 V drop for a 75 foot extension cord
at 15A and less than 4 V drop at 10A.
120 - 6 = 114 V. That'd work great!

--Winston

Your calculations are way off. First there is the length of the house
wiring from the service entrance to wherever you plug in the extension
cord. Then there is the cord itself and loss at connections which are
rarely perfect. If the combined total length of the house wiring and
the extension is more than 50 feet, you need to get a MUCH heavier
extension cord. 14AWG is not going to cut it. Go to a 10 AWG if you
want the power at the outlet to arrive at the tool. Unfortunately,
your diminuative friend will need a wheelbarrow to move that extension
cord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

(...)

Good electric motors exceed 80% efficiency, cheap electric motors as
used in electric trimmers - not even close.

Gas motors may not be very efficient fuel wise, but a 1hp gas motor
outputs 1hp as long as it has fuel.

Either approach would work great.

I hear as a general rule of thumb that it takes
more 'HP' of gas engine to provide the same 'power'
as that of a same-rated electric motor under load.
I know, it sounds like nonsense on the face of it.
I suspect it has something to do with the different
torque curves of the two, though I don't know for sure.

http://www.evconvert.com/eve/electric-car-motors

The electric type would be very much quieter
and easier for her to use. Most importantly,
she *would* use it instead of getting rid of
it in a garage sale.

--Winston

An electric motor can output more than it's rated HP for a short time if
sufficient electricity is available vs. a gas engine which can not
generally exceed it's rated HP. If the electricity is not available to
support the extra HP, either due to voltage drop from long extension
cords or circuit breakers tripping, you won't get any extra HP.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:
3. Have the lot plowed/tilled and raked. Hopefully that'll disrupt the
established weeds and she'll be able to stay ahead of whatever comes back.
Yup. That's first prize. A full size rear-tine tiller would work a treat.
It wouldn't be admitted onto the property unless it was battery powered.

(Only slightly kidding.)

Think diesel tractor...

I want one of those, too.

--Winston

I have one of those, it's a very handy item.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:
3. Have the lot plowed/tilled and raked. Hopefully that'll disrupt the
established weeds and she'll be able to stay ahead of whatever comes back.
Yup. That's first prize. A full size rear-tine tiller would work a treat.
It wouldn't be admitted onto the property unless it was battery powered.

(Only slightly kidding.)
Think diesel tractor...

I want one of those, too.

--Winston

I have one of those, it's a very handy item.

I believe you.

I could use one with a backhoe right now.

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

(...)

An electric motor can output more than it's rated HP for a short time if
sufficient electricity is available vs. a gas engine which can not
generally exceed it's rated HP. If the electricity is not available to
support the extra HP, either due to voltage drop from long extension
cords or circuit breakers tripping, you won't get any extra HP.

That sounds right.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

No time to read the whole thread. I'd suggest a weed killer.

I have a gallon bottle of something (I can check if you want me to)
with a very easy to pump up sprayer, and it's meant to spray
individual weeds. They start to die within 12 hours (even though this
stuff is a year or two old), maybe 4 hours, but I let them continue to
die for a couple days before I mow the lawn, on the expectation it
will go back to the main plant and damage it, maybe kill it.

P&M. Don't reply to newsgroup only because it's a busy week and I
wont' see it. Remove nopsam to email.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

No time to read the whole thread. I'd suggest a weed killer.

I have a gallon bottle of something (I can check if you want me to)
with a very easy to pump up sprayer, and it's meant to spray
individual weeds. They start to die within 12 hours (even though this
stuff is a year or two old), maybe 4 hours, but I let them continue to
die for a couple days before I mow the lawn, on the expectation it
will go back to the main plant and damage it, maybe kill it.

Yes, another person mentioned two specific chemicals
which are real possibilities. I told my friend about
them and she was appreciative.

I might not have mentioned this, but my friend is
competent with the 'concentrate' version of Roundup
and has used it successfully on other plants.

These particular plants are nothing like I've ever
seen before because they remain upright after many
applications of properly mixed Roundup.

The supposition is that she has a counterfeit bottle
of Roundup or that other chemicals would be better
suited to these plants.

P&M. Don't reply to newsgroup only because it's a busy week and I
wont' see it. Remove nopsam to email.

Sorry. My address is munged. I've replied to the
group for the sake of continuity.

Thanks for your thoughts.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 2:05�pm, Winston wrote:
[...]

It seems (after reading 80+ posts), you have multiple problems. Most
have been discussed, but let me go over them again and add my
solutions too.

First, you're making your "friends" problem yours. You bought her a
mower and she sold it. Did she give you the money? If she didn't,
sheis USING you.

Second, she is too lazy, too dumb, or high maintenance to do the work
herself, so again, she is USING you.

Third, if she isn't giving you sex, she is USING you and you get
nothing.

Fourth, there are many solutions to the weed problem, but she don't
want to hear them because you are EASY.

Fifth, the weeds can be plowed under, a herbicide applied and new
grass planted. But I am guessing she doesn't want to do that. I
guarantee that will work.

Sixth, if she is such a bitch as to complain about a little noise to
correct a problem, and you cater to her whims, you are as bad as she
is and you both deserve each other.

Seventh, if you aren't willing to listen to the wonder ideas presented
to you on this NG, then call in a professional. I'm guessing she
doesn't want to do that.

My only other suggestion is...............DUMP HER and find a new
friend that won't use you to correct a problem that she obviously
doesn't want fixed.

Hank ~~~thinks WINSTON has been smoking too much of this so called
"super weed"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:

(...)

It seems (after reading 80+ posts), you have multiple problems. Most
have been discussed, but let me go over them again and add my
solutions too.

First, you're making your "friends" problem yours.

That's what friends do, yes?

You bought her a mower and she sold it. Did she give you the money?
If she didn't, she is USING you.

Nah. Our relationship is outside the parameters of the problem.
I hesitate to drift the thread further by mentioning the many, many times
she has fed me and SWMBO and provided many tools and materials to
me personally, gratis. She also housed me and SWMBO while our
current house was undergoing remodel. I owe her, not the other way
around.

Second, she is too lazy, too dumb, or high maintenance to do the work
herself, so again, she is USING you.

Nah. She spent a *lot* of time out there with both weed-whackers.
Made some progress but obviously requires a different tool in
order to make the same kind of progress I experienced with the
gas powered brush cutter. She is smart and active but just needs
a tool that she can understand and use productively.

**********Old Fogy Story Alert**********

I once rented a bobtail truck. They first gave me one with (badly
adjusted) air-over-oil brakes as a joke. No matter how gently I
whispered to that brake pedal, the rear end of that sucker would
lock up and screech. Probably worked great with a significant
load. I brought it back inside of about 7 minutes 'cause I
imagined what the (empty)500+ mile trip back to the yard was
going to be like!

The 'tool' would have done the job just fine. The replacement
bobtail did the job just fine (and safely and quietly too).

Was I lazy, dumb, demanding, 'high maintenance'?
I have been all four, at times. Not this time, though.

Third, if she isn't giving you sex, she is USING you and you get
nothing.

Heh! I won't mention that to SWMBO.

Fourth, there are many solutions to the weed problem, but she don't
want to hear them because you are EASY.

Easy is good!

She cleaned up after me when I knocked the weeds over the first time.
She tried herbicide several times, she used the weed whackers a lot.
She will shortly try another herbicide suggested in this forum.

Fifth, the weeds can be plowed under, a herbicide applied and new
grass planted. But I am guessing she doesn't want to do that. I
guarantee that will work.

Yup. Rototilling has been suggested before and it is a good idea.
Is there a way to handle these monster weeds without having to
do that? Perhaps the suggested herbicide will be the ticket.
If it kills the seeds, we may be All Done. That'd be nice.

Sixth, if she is such a bitch as to complain about a little noise to
correct a problem, and you cater to her whims, you are as bad as she
is and you both deserve each other.

I'm going to get us tee shirts with opposing arrows:
"I'm as bad as that one!"

As loud as the noise is (believe me the brush cutter *is* painfully
loud) she prefers a tool that she can understand and use without help.
I can relate.

Seventh, if you aren't willing to listen to the wonder ideas presented
to you on this NG, then call in a professional. I'm guessing she
doesn't want to do that.

I heard all the ideas. I appreciate the time and thoughts of
all those generous folks who contributed to the solution.
We are gonna triumph over the monster plants and learn what
does and does not work, in the process.

My only other suggestion is...............DUMP HER and find a new
friend that won't use you to correct a problem that she obviously
doesn't want fixed.

That'd be rather cold and shallow after all she's done for me and SWMBO,
don't you think? What kind of friend would I be, then?

Hank ~~~thinks WINSTON has been smoking too much of this so called
"super weed"

Woo! Didn't mean to rile you, Hank!

--Winston -- So, do you want a hit or not?