Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric mower / trimmer?

"Winston" wrote in message

Nah. She spent a *lot* of time out there with both weed-whackers.
Made some progress but obviously requires a different tool in
order to make the same kind of progress I experienced with the
gas powered brush cutter. She is smart and active but just needs
a tool that she can understand and use productively.

I did not read all of the post here, but, I can draw one simple conclusion.
In spite of what you say, she is not all that smart. Cutting something that
grows back is not a solution, no matter how good the tool.

The smart solution is to eliminate them with the proper herbicide or by
manually pulling the roots out. That is the only way to get a permanent
solution.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:
mm wrote:
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:05:20 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

No time to read the whole thread. I'd suggest a weed killer.
I have a gallon bottle of something (I can check if you want me to)
with a very easy to pump up sprayer, and it's meant to spray
individual weeds. They start to die within 12 hours (even though this
stuff is a year or two old), maybe 4 hours, but I let them continue to
die for a couple days before I mow the lawn, on the expectation it
will go back to the main plant and damage it, maybe kill it.

Yes, another person mentioned two specific chemicals
which are real possibilities. I told my friend about
them and she was appreciative.

I might not have mentioned this, but my friend is
competent with the 'concentrate' version of Roundup
and has used it successfully on other plants.

These particular plants are nothing like I've ever
seen before because they remain upright after many
applications of properly mixed Roundup.

The supposition is that she has a counterfeit bottle
of Roundup or that other chemicals would be better
suited to these plants.

P&M. Don't reply to newsgroup only because it's a busy week and I
wont' see it. Remove nopsam to email.

Sorry. My address is munged. I've replied to the
group for the sake of continuity.

Thanks for your thoughts.

--Winston

Is it pokeweed you're fighting? I would just dig up the roots and be
vigilant for little shoots in the future (and make sure that you pull
them out roots and all.) I've been fighting them ever since I moved
into this house, and have finally gotten to the point where it's under
control. It's an awful, awful plant and grows twice as fast as any
non-viney plant in my experience.

I personally don't want to use a chemical solution because the pokeweed
might be growing up through a fern, trillium, or something else
interesting...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 5:10�am, Winston wrote:

Hank ~~~thinks WINSTON has been smoking too much of this so called
"super weed"

Woo! �Didn't mean to rile you, Hank! �

--Winston �-- So, do you want a hit or not?

Not riled, just confused, why, after all the time and energy you (and
her) have put in to curing the problem, you don't take the permanent
fix and have it tilled, spray herbicide and plant new grass that will
force out the weeds. The fix is obvious, do it.

Besides, if she is a true friend, you don't owe her anything, thats
the way true friendships work. Also, one of you have an attraction to
the other. Men and women can't be "just friends".

No thanks on the hit.

Hank ~~~amateur psycholigist :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
On Aug 22, 5:10�am, Winston wrote:

Hank ~~~thinks WINSTON has been smoking too much of this so called
"super weed"

Woo! �Didn't mean to rile you, Hank! �

--Winston �-- So, do you want a hit or not?

Not riled, just confused, why, after all the time and energy you (and
her) have put in to curing the problem, you don't take the permanent
fix and have it tilled, spray herbicide and plant new grass that will
force out the weeds. The fix is obvious, do it.

Did you miss the part where she made several applications of
a previously effective herbicide? I still agree that tilling
is a good idea, but we need a way to prevent further germination.
That's why I'm optimistic about the alternative herbicide.

Besides, if she is a true friend, you don't owe her anything, thats
the way true friendships work.

Friendships require thoughtfulness, respect and work.
Minus those things, you are just left with exploitation.
Are Homer Simpson and Ned Flanders friends? No.

I've got a friend who is an independent contractor.
He loaned me a belt sander about 10 years ago and I toasted it
trying to take the finish down on an oiled chopping block.
I took the tool in for a rebuild, then I bought a brand new
sander of the same model and gave that to my friend and
apologized for breaking his sander.
(I still use the rebuilt tool.)

Note that he didn't have to call wondering what happened
to his sander. He got an apology and a new sander.

Since then, I've worked on some of his projects.
He's worked on some of my projects. Somehow the subject
of paying each other never came up, because we are friends.

Also, one of you have an attraction to
the other. Men and women can't be "just friends".

Of course we can be "just friends".
Don't be silly.

Hank ~~~amateur psycholigist :-)

Not every psychologist is a fraud (*all* evidence to the
contrary notwithstanding).
Fewer than 2% give the rest a good reputation.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 18:58:14 -0700, Winston
wrote:

These particular plants are nothing like I've ever
seen before because they remain upright after many
applications of properly mixed Roundup.

You described these weeds as fibrous plants in a much earlier post
that I am too lazy to go back and find. I have to tell you that I
believe I have these same weeds here in western New York and no idea
what the hell they are (they're not pokeweed). I want you to know
that I agree that they are just about indestructible. We tried weed
whacking ours (which fortunately are more or less hidden behind the
garage) to no avail, and I just don't have the energy to dig them out,
which is what I think is what has to be done (I am also not a RoundUp
fan, especially because I have three dogs who go through that area).

Again, I think digging these plants out is the best bet, and I may try
it myself later this season when the weather cools down. But I also
think it's important to replace them with something else, and grass
won't do it. I'm thinking of something like ribbon grass, which is
similarly invasive, but a lot more attractive. So, after the next
good rain some time in October, I may be out there with my shovel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Roundup won't hurt your dogs. It completely biodegrdes VERY quickly,
and is approved for and used in agriculture on areas used for food
crops.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

These particular plants are nothing like I've ever
seen before because they remain upright after many
applications of properly mixed Roundup.

You described these weeds as fibrous plants in a much earlier post
that I am too lazy to go back and find. I have to tell you that I
believe I have these same weeds here in western New York and no idea
what the hell they are (they're not pokeweed). I want you to know
that I agree that they are just about indestructible. We tried weed
whacking ours (which fortunately are more or less hidden behind the
garage) to no avail, and I just don't have the energy to dig them out,
which is what I think is what has to be done (I am also not a RoundUp
fan, especially because I have three dogs who go through that area).

Yup. I really don't want to inadvertently distribute live weed seeds.
That's how the invasion started, I think.
If this herbicide knocks out the plants and seeds, my friend will
be a happy person.

So, after the next good rain some time in October, I may be out there
with my shovel.

I wish you luck!

I'll be interested in why this weed has such a powerful hold
on the ground. Perhaps it has a really long taproot?

--Winston -- Still scratching his head
Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston | 2009-08-22 | 6:24:26 PM wrote:

Yup. I really don't want to inadvertently distribute live weed seeds.
That's how the invasion started, I think.
If this herbicide knocks out the plants and seeds, my friend will
be a happy person.

Weed killers will have little effect on the seeds. Use a pre-emergent
control instead. I hear corn meal works, if you want something
non-toxic.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement
Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveBell wrote:
Winston | 2009-08-22 | 6:24:26 PM wrote:

Yup. I really don't want to inadvertently distribute live weed seeds.
That's how the invasion started, I think.
If this herbicide knocks out the plants and seeds, my friend will
be a happy person.

Weed killers will have little effect on the seeds. Use a pre-emergent
control instead. I hear corn meal works, if you want something
non-toxic.

This just in:
My friend plans to use Amaze pre-emergent.

Things are looking up!

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Winston" wrote in message

but, I can draw one simple conclusion.

Without the whole story?

Yes, I'm rather intelligent.

In spite of what you say, she is not all that smart. Cutting something
that grows back is not a solution, no matter how good the tool.

You missed the part where she tried several applications
of a previously effective herbicide and will shortly test
another herbicide that is rumored effective against this
kind of plant?

The smart solution is to eliminate them with the proper herbicide or by
manually pulling the roots out. That is the only way to get a permanent
solution.

There's an echo in here!

Evidently, she did not use the proper harbicide or proper application. She
would do well to consult a professional or the local colege ag deparment or
similar service.

First prize would be to find a way to kill the seeds.
She's working on that.

It may be possible to pick many of the seeds on the plant or to treat them
with a pre-emergent solution. See above about consulting a pro.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 00:34:03 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message

[...]

Seeds and roots just under the surface can be "damaged" with the
application of heat. I have a propane burner for that purpose. Clear
away the vegetation and then scorch the soil. Surprisingly effective.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:17:40 -0700, Winston

(...)

Seeds and roots just under the surface can be "damaged" with the
application of heat. I have a propane burner for that purpose. Clear
away the vegetation and then scorch the soil. Surprisingly effective.

Oh Boy!

A use for my new propane burner!

Thanks!

--Winston

Just be careful! After you finish scorching, it's a REALLY good idea
to throughly soak the ground. There can be debris smoldering just
below the surface that won't be obvious right away...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:
Mike Paulsen wrote:
Winston wrote:

She has been attacking the weeds with a standard A.C. powered 'Weed
wacker'.
(Black and Decker 'Grass Hog'). Clearly, the fibrous stalks are more
than a match for the weak 'fishing line'. She is well on her way to
trashing her second 'Grass Hog'.

You might want to look into getting a different trimmer head. There
are some bladed heads which are compatible with electric trimmers.
Example:

http://www.amazon.com/Grass-Gator-36..._bxgy_hi_img_c

Great minds and all that, Mike.

That's the exact one I bought two weeks ago when my friend
broke the spool assembly on her first trimmer.

Though it may be "compatible with 99% of all gas trimmers"
as it says on the package, the 'Grass Hog' A.C. trimmer
will not accommodate it. Indeed, 'Black and Decker' does not
even show up as a compatible brand on the manufacturer's
website:

http://www.cmdproducts.com/makes.html

Good thought though.

Thanks!

--Winston

Mike and all-

I mounted that bladed trimmer head to the GrassHog
just now. It was a real project involving heavy
modifications. I tested it and it looks like a
good approach.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...esurrected.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...esurrected.txt

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 22, 3:53*pm, Winston wrote:
Hustlin' Hank wrote:
[...]

What if you tied a thin rope to a bundle of the stalks, wrapped it
around your car bumper, and jerked them out by the roots?

(all my other ideas have been suggested already. Except the ones that
involve explosives or automatic weapons, and I'm getting the idea
those aren't going to be acceptable.)

Or. Freeze them with liquid nitrogen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:

(...)

What if you tied a thin rope to a bundle of the stalks, wrapped it
around your car bumper, and jerked them out by the roots?

I like your "git'er done" attitude!
You are saying that the tool should cost less than $89.99?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...5527_200395527

That is food for thought and I thank you.

I have 'hot rodded' a weed whacker and I'm anxious
for my friend to try it out:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...esurrected.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...esurrected.txt

In test, it chopped through some dense roots pretty easily
so I'm optimistic.

(all my other ideas have been suggested already. Except the ones that
involve explosives or automatic weapons, and I'm getting the idea
those aren't going to be acceptable.)

Yup. She won't even let me mow them down with a gas brush cutter.
Oh Well.

Or. Freeze them with liquid nitrogen?

Now you are talking!

Where did I put that large Dewar?

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:

(...)

Mike and all-

I mounted that bladed trimmer head to the GrassHog
just now. It was a real project involving heavy
modifications. I tested it and it looks like a
good approach.

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...esurrected.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...esurrected.txt

FWIW, I gave my friend the RWW this afternoon.

She swung at the weeds with it for about an hour and cleared out
about 70% of them before she took a break for the day.

I couldn't hear the whacker from inside her house. That makes
a very pleasant change from the brush cutter I used.

She's still on her first set of blades and is very pleased.

--Winston