Posted to alt.home.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Electric mower / trimmer?

Pete C. wrote:

(...)

Good electric motors exceed 80% efficiency, cheap electric motors as
used in electric trimmers - not even close.

Gas motors may not be very efficient fuel wise, but a 1hp gas motor
outputs 1hp as long as it has fuel.

Either approach would work great.

I hear as a general rule of thumb that it takes
more 'HP' of gas engine to provide the same 'power'
as that of a same-rated electric motor under load.
I know, it sounds like nonsense on the face of it.
I suspect it has something to do with the different
torque curves of the two, though I don't know for sure.

http://www.evconvert.com/eve/electric-car-motors

The electric type would be very much quieter
and easier for her to use. Most importantly,
she *would* use it instead of getting rid of
it in a garage sale.

--Winston