Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric mower / trimmer?

Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ex...mmers/RY26000#
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ex...ments/RY15702#

My friend does not want to use any gas-powered tools because of
reliability and noise.

She has been attacking the weeds with a standard A.C. powered 'Weed wacker'.
(Black and Decker 'Grass Hog'). Clearly, the fibrous stalks are more
than a match for the weak 'fishing line'. She is well on her way to
trashing her second 'Grass Hog'.

I think that an A.C. powered mower / trimmer would work a lot better
for her but my Google-fu fails to locate anything like that.
Lots of gas powered units but nothing quieter and reliable.

A standard A.C. mower isn't going to work on these monster weeds
because they grow very high, astoundingly quickly.

Short of slicing the front wheels off an A.C. mower, what
can I do to help her be self-sufficient?

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:

[...]

The reliability problem with gas powered tools is the reliability of the
operator taking proper care of them. As for the noise issue, electrics
are somewhat quieter, though far from silent, and due to the lower power
than gas models you have to listen to them longer to get the same job
done.

Suggest the friend just hire some maintenance folks who will work
quickly with their loud, properly maintained gas powered tools and be
gone before she could even get the extension cords for the electric
powered tools untangled.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Aug 17, 1:05*pm, Winston wrote:
[...]

Roundup, of course.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 1:05 pm, Winston wrote:
Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

Roundup, of course.

Joe

That was what I was going to say. Or some weed killer like it.

On only a 1/4 acre lot how did those things manage to get so tall ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:38:13 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Winston wrote:

[...]

A couple years ago, I set aside a brand new (used it about 5 times)
2-stroke brush cutter that was always hard starting, and replaced it
with a 4-stroke Cadet brush cutter from Home Despot. The difference is
night and day. The 4-stroke always starts on the first or second pull,
even after sitting for 6 months. It is quieter, smells better, and
really isn't much heavier than the 2-stroke. I'll gladly tote that
extra pound or so for all the benefits I got. It seems to have more
low end "grunt" too. It doesn't bog down under load as much.

I have a number of 2-stroke items including a trimmer and I don't have
hard start problems, the key being that they are pro grade units, I
maintain them and I always use stabil in my fuel supply.

Oddly enough, it is my larger 4-stroke items that give me the most
grief, however pulling the carb off and running it through my ultrasonic
cleaner with Simple Green solution followed by a blow dry with
compressed air resolves most issues for quite a while.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 2:05*pm, Winston wrote:
Short of slicing the front wheels off an A.C. mower, what
can I do to help her be self-sufficient?

No matter how hard you pound, the square peg will not fit the round
hole.

There is no AC powered tool appropriate for this job. Get her over her
irrational fear of gas power tools, buy a 4-stroke Cub Cadet brush
trimmer, teach her proper maintenance, and off she goes.

Instead of just knocking the weeds down, though, you really should be
looking at ways to KILL them. Insanity is defined as performing the
same task over and over and expecting a different result. Cutting the
weeds down obviously isn't working, as they just grow back faster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

"ROUNDUP"..the Generic version (about half the cost of the "real"
stuff )available at WalMart labelled "Eliminator" Weed & Grass Killer , 41%
Glyphosate

http://www.expotv.com/Eliminator-Weed-Killer/28-DH3

Get a quart for $ 14.97 or half gallon for less than $ 30, mix it in your
Tank sprayer at about 5 oz/2 gal and kill 'em dead ! They won't be back..

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Read Echos site on Engine hour rating, the motor will be the last
thing to go, ans wear earplugs. I have stuff from the 80s, it all
works. How you run and care for power tools determine their life.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

A couple years ago, I set aside a brand new (used it about 5 times)
2-stroke brush cutter that was always hard starting, and replaced it
with a 4-stroke Cadet brush cutter from Home Despot. The difference is
night and day. The 4-stroke always starts on the first or second pull,
even after sitting for 6 months. It is quieter, smells better, and

No such problems with my scythe. So long as you resharpen
often, a scythe cuts brush about as fast as a power tool.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

Short of slicing the front wheels off an A.C. mower, what
can I do to help her be self-sufficient?

Thanks!

--Winston

The reliability problem with gas powered tools is the reliability of the
operator taking proper care of them.

Yeah, that is true for a lot of folks, especially those
of us of a 'certain age' who have a great affinity for
machines. Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle
with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating
for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld'
necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't
have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when
the motor becomes flooded, etc. My friend has no interest
in the physics of gas engines. I understand that it is
possible on an intellectual level not to like little gas
engines.

As for the noise issue, electrics
are somewhat quieter, though far from silent, and due to the lower power
than gas models you have to listen to them longer to get the same job
done.

I agree.

Suggest the friend just hire some maintenance folks who will work
quickly with their loud, properly maintained gas powered tools and be
gone before she could even get the extension cords for the electric
powered tools untangled.

I want to emphasize that my friend is a very independent type
who needs to accomplish this task by herself. Perhaps you
have met that type of person?

Thanks!

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:

(...)

Roundup, of course.

Hi Joe.

My friend has tried several applications of Roundup.
These weeds laugh it off.

Thanks, though.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
On Aug 17, 1:05 pm, Winston wrote:
Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

Roundup, of course.

Joe

That was what I was going to say. Or some weed killer like it.

On only a 1/4 acre lot how did those things manage to get so tall ?

It is a puzzlement. They grow like weeds. It is uncanny.

My friend has tried several applications of Roundup.
These weeds laugh it off.

Thanks, though.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Winston wrote:
Joe wrote:

(...)

Roundup, of course.

Hi Joe.

My friend has tried several applications of Roundup.
These weeds laugh it off.

Pictures...???

Contact local extension office and find out what they are...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:

(...)

I have a number of 2-stroke items including a trimmer and I don't have
hard start problems, the key being that they are pro grade units, I
maintain them and I always use stabil in my fuel supply.

Oddly enough, it is my larger 4-stroke items that give me the most
grief, however pulling the carb off and running it through my ultrasonic
cleaner with Simple Green solution followed by a blow dry with
compressed air resolves most issues for quite a while.

That's a great answer for you and me.

Not a good answer for my friend who dislikes the
thought of using any gas-powered tool.

Thanks!

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rudy wrote:
I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

"ROUNDUP"..the Generic version (about half the cost of the "real"
stuff )available at WalMart labelled "Eliminator" Weed & Grass Killer , 41%
Glyphosate

http://www.expotv.com/Eliminator-Weed-Killer/28-DH3

Get a quart for $ 14.97 or half gallon for less than $ 30, mix it in your
Tank sprayer at about 5 oz/2 gal and kill 'em dead ! They won't be back..

These weed laughed at several applications of real,
branded Roundup. They came back, time after time.

Thanks!

--Winston

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Winston wrote:
Joe wrote:

(...)

Roundup, of course.

Hi Joe.

My friend has tried several applications of Roundup.
These weeds laugh it off.

(Well, OK they dry out and go from green to straw
color. But they do not pull out of the ground with
less than several hundred pounds of force and have
a very strong, fibrous stalk.)

Pictures...???

Pictures are not convenient at the moment.
Not a problem though. Just envision a single stalk
about 1/4" to 3/8" inch in diameter, sticking about
3' to 4' in the air. They grow like a science fiction
experiment. They are completely absent in lots
surrounding hers and only appeared in her lot within
the last three years. Really spooky.

Contact local extension office and find out what they are...

Our extension office has been closed for about 5 years.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

She has about ruined 2 AC units? She might not have enough voltage
from small gauge extension cords, you could check cord gauge and
measure voltage at the trimmer when its on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Van Chocstraw wrote:

(...)

An AC powered mower will do just fine with a wicked sharp blade and mow
it often, twice a week if needed. There are 13 amp and 24 volt cordless
mowers 2 to 4 hundred dollars.

That'd be a great answer if the weeds would just grow more
slowly. These are monsters. I've never seen anything like
them.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

(...)

Read Echos site on Engine hour rating, the motor will be the last
thing to go, ans wear earplugs. I have stuff from the 80s, it all
works. How you run and care for power tools determine their life.

That works for me but not for my friend.

Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle
with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating
for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld'
necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't
have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when
the motor becomes flooded, etc.

You can guarantee that a non-aficionado will manage to set
the choke exactly wrong for any ambient temperature!

My friend has no interest in the physics of gas engines.
I understand that it is possible, on an intellectual level,
to not like little gas engines.

My friend will happily use a corded tool however.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

A couple years ago, I set aside a brand new (used it about 5 times)
2-stroke brush cutter that was always hard starting, and replaced it
with a 4-stroke Cadet brush cutter from Home Despot. The difference is
night and day. The 4-stroke always starts on the first or second pull,
even after sitting for 6 months. It is quieter, smells better, and

No such problems with my scythe. So long as you resharpen
often, a scythe cuts brush about as fast as a power tool.

My friend doesn't have a lot of upper body
strength. This stuff isn't ordinary 'brush'.

On cutting open a stalk, I saw hundreds of fine fibers
up through the middle of the plant. Stuff looks like
it was designed by NASA.

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:37:18 -0700, "Rudy"
wrote:

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

"ROUNDUP"..the Generic version (about half the cost of the "real"
stuff )available at WalMart labelled "Eliminator" Weed & Grass Killer , 41%
Glyphosate

http://www.expotv.com/Eliminator-Weed-Killer/28-DH3

Get a quart for $ 14.97 or half gallon for less than $ 30, mix it in your
Tank sprayer at about 5 oz/2 gal and kill 'em dead ! They won't be back..

Full strength Roundup is 50.2% glyphosate. I buy it in a gallon jug at
Home Depot for $110.

Eliminator is not a bad deal, but it is not the same product. If you
try and kill a stand of bamboo, you'll experience the difference!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:17:05 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

wrote in message
.. .

A couple years ago, I set aside a brand new (used it about 5 times)
2-stroke brush cutter that was always hard starting, and replaced it
with a 4-stroke Cadet brush cutter from Home Despot. The difference is
night and day. The 4-stroke always starts on the first or second pull,
even after sitting for 6 months. It is quieter, smells better, and

No such problems with my scythe. So long as you resharpen
often, a scythe cuts brush about as fast as a power tool.

Maybe as fast, but not nearly as easily. Not everybody is young and
healthy.

As for problems, I don't have any with my brush cutter. It works
great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:25:55 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Joe wrote:

(...)

Roundup, of course.

Hi Joe.

My friend has tried several applications of Roundup.
These weeds laugh it off.

Thanks, though.

--Winston

He's doing it wrong. For starters, there are a lot of variations on
Round Up. Most people buy the cheaper versions that is 'pre-watered
down". Buy the full strength stuff, and mix it yourself to whatever
styrength is needed for each individual situation. The stuff that
comes in a spray bottle won't kill anything that is much tougher than
lawn grass.

Mix 10-12 oz of full strength Round Up to a gallon of water and you
can kill astroturf and fake palm trees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:32:56 -0700, Winston

(...)

A couple years ago, I set aside a brand new (used it about 5 times)
2-stroke brush cutter that was always hard starting, and replaced it
with a 4-stroke Cadet brush cutter from Home Despot. The difference is
night and day. The 4-stroke always starts on the first or second pull,
even after sitting for 6 months. It is quieter, smells better, and
really isn't much heavier than the 2-stroke. I'll gladly tote that
extra pound or so for all the benefits I got. It seems to have more
low end "grunt" too. It doesn't bog down under load as much.

That would work for me but not for my friend.

Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle
with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating
for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld'
necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't
have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when
the motor becomes flooded, etc.

You can guarantee that a non-aficionado will manage to set
the choke exactly wrong for any ambient temperature!

My friend has no interest in the physics of gas engines.
I understand that it is possible, on an intellectual level,
to not like little gas engines.

My friend will happily use a corded tool however.

Thanks!

--Winston

That's just it. The Cub Cadet doesn't require any interest in how it
works. You push the primer bulb twice, pull the cord once and off you
go.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:46:07 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

(...)

Oddly enough, it is my larger 4-stroke items that give me the most
grief, however pulling the carb off and running it through my ultrasonic
cleaner with Simple Green solution followed by a blow dry with
compressed air resolves most issues for quite a while.

Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle
with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating
for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld'
necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't
have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when
the motor becomes flooded, etc. My friend has no interest
in the physics of gas engines. I understand that it is
possible on an intellectual level not to like little gas
engines.

Thanks!

--Winston

It is becoming clear that your "friend" really doesn't want to get rid
of the weeds. Several here have told you what it would take, but you
are sure your friend won't do what it takes. I'd say the weeds are
safe.

The only real option left is to hire somebody who IS willing to do
what it takes to remove the weeds. You have exhausted the reasonable
options for do it yourself solutions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:
[...]

There are probably contractors who can mow and later spray the stuff.
I'd try to call some. Does she intend to keep the weeds and just keep
mowing or cutting, or does she have a plan to change the landscaping?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Winston wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

[...]

A Shindaiwa doesn't require a "Briggs Mind Meld".

As for the noise issue, electrics
are somewhat quieter, though far from silent, and due to the lower power
than gas models you have to listen to them longer to get the same job
done.

I agree.

Suggest the friend just hire some maintenance folks who will work
quickly with their loud, properly maintained gas powered tools and be
gone before she could even get the extension cords for the electric
powered tools untangled.

I want to emphasize that my friend is a very independent type
who needs to accomplish this task by herself. Perhaps you
have met that type of person?

Yes, I have, but I call them "idiots". They don't want to use the
correct tool for the job and don't want to pay someone who will use the
correct tool for the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:00:46 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Winston wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

[...]

Now we are getting somewhere!

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

(...)

She has about ruined 2 AC units? She might not have enough voltage
from small gauge extension cords, you could check cord gauge and
measure voltage at the trimmer when its on.

The nature of the damage is purely mechanical.
The Grasshog is expensive but very cheaply made.
Little shattered plastic parts.

I freely admit that the tool was never made for this
level of abuse, however.

Thanks!

--Winston
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:31:05 -0700, Winston

(...)

He's doing it wrong. For starters, there are a lot of variations on
Round Up. Most people buy the cheaper versions that is 'pre-watered
down". Buy the full strength stuff, and mix it yourself to whatever
styrength is needed for each individual situation. The stuff that
comes in a spray bottle won't kill anything that is much tougher than
lawn grass.

Mix 10-12 oz of full strength Round Up to a gallon of water and you
can kill astroturf and fake palm trees.

My friend has used Roundup concentrate effectively
in years past.
It doesn't appear to be technique. The Roundup
could be counterfeit, however.

Thanks!

--Winston

There is Round Up concentrate and then there is Round Up SUPER DUPER
EXTREME concentrate. Big difference! Read the label. The strongest one
is 50.2% Glyphosate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

I understand that it is possible on an intellectual level
not to like little gas engines.

A Shindaiwa doesn't require a "Briggs Mind Meld".

A beautiful machine, no doubt.
I am sure it is easier to use than the 2 stroke
brush cutter I used for the purpose initially.

My friend refuses to deal with gas powered tools.

That's OK. I refuse to eat cooked spinach.

(...)

I want to emphasize that my friend is a very independent type
who needs to accomplish this task by herself. Perhaps you
have met that type of person?

Yes, I have, but I call them "idiots". They don't want to use the
correct tool for the job and don't want to pay someone who will use the
correct tool for the job.

Now Pete, name calling isn't necessary.

She should be able to get 10 A at 120 V out of a 14 AWG
extension cord measuring 75' in length. So that's 1200 W
or 1.6 HP. My little 30cc brush cutter does an acceptable
job with only 1.0 HP, so it isn't unreasonable to ask for
an A.C. brush cutter, is it?

Thanks!

--Winston