Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Electric mower / trimmer?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 17:00:46 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Winston wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Winston wrote:

(...)

Short of slicing the front wheels off an A.C. mower, what
can I do to help her be self-sufficient?

Thanks!

--Winston

The reliability problem with gas powered tools is the reliability of the
operator taking proper care of them.

Yeah, that is true for a lot of folks, especially those
of us of a 'certain age' who have a great affinity for
machines. Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle
with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating
for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld'
necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't
have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when
the motor becomes flooded, etc. My friend has no interest
in the physics of gas engines. I understand that it is
possible on an intellectual level not to like little gas
engines.

A Shindaiwa doesn't require a "Briggs Mind Meld".

As for the noise issue, electrics
are somewhat quieter, though far from silent, and due to the lower power
than gas models you have to listen to them longer to get the same job
done.

I agree.

Suggest the friend just hire some maintenance folks who will work
quickly with their loud, properly maintained gas powered tools and be
gone before she could even get the extension cords for the electric
powered tools untangled.

I want to emphasize that my friend is a very independent type
who needs to accomplish this task by herself. Perhaps you
have met that type of person?

Yes, I have, but I call them "idiots". They don't want to use the
correct tool for the job and don't want to pay someone who will use the
correct tool for the job.

Now we are getting somewhere!