Posted to alt.home.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Electric mower / trimmer?

wrote:

(...)

A couple years ago, I set aside a brand new (used it about 5 times)
2-stroke brush cutter that was always hard starting, and replaced it
with a 4-stroke Cadet brush cutter from Home Despot. The difference is
night and day. The 4-stroke always starts on the first or second pull,
even after sitting for 6 months. It is quieter, smells better, and
really isn't much heavier than the 2-stroke. I'll gladly tote that
extra pound or so for all the benefits I got. It seems to have more
low end "grunt" too. It doesn't bog down under load as much.

That would work for me but not for my friend.

Perhaps you have seen a non-aficionado struggle
with starting a small gas engine? It is very frustrating
for them because they can't do the 'Briggs Mind Meld'
necessary to set the machine up properly and they don't
have the troubleshooting ability necessary to recover when
the motor becomes flooded, etc.

You can guarantee that a non-aficionado will manage to set
the choke exactly wrong for any ambient temperature!

My friend has no interest in the physics of gas engines.
I understand that it is possible, on an intellectual level,
to not like little gas engines.

My friend will happily use a corded tool however.

Thanks!

--Winston