Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electric mower / trimmer?

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:05:20 -0700, Winston
wrote:

Hi all,

I've a friend who is losing a battle with some 4' tall, fibrous
weeds on her 1/4 acre lot. I bought a gas powered brush cutter
and knocked them over once but they are back.

No time to read the whole thread. I'd suggest a weed killer.

I have a gallon bottle of something (I can check if you want me to)
with a very easy to pump up sprayer, and it's meant to spray
individual weeds. They start to die within 12 hours (even though this
stuff is a year or two old), maybe 4 hours, but I let them continue to
die for a couple days before I mow the lawn, on the expectation it
will go back to the main plant and damage it, maybe kill it.

P&M. Don't reply to newsgroup only because it's a busy week and I
wont' see it. Remove nopsam to email.

http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ex...mmers/RY26000#
http://www.ryobitools.com/catalog/ex...ments/RY15702#

My friend does not want to use any gas-powered tools because of
reliability and noise.

She has been attacking the weeds with a standard A.C. powered 'Weed wacker'.
(Black and Decker 'Grass Hog'). Clearly, the fibrous stalks are more
than a match for the weak 'fishing line'. She is well on her way to
trashing her second 'Grass Hog'.

I think that an A.C. powered mower / trimmer would work a lot better
for her but my Google-fu fails to locate anything like that.
Lots of gas powered units but nothing quieter and reliable.

A standard A.C. mower isn't going to work on these monster weeds
because they grow very high, astoundingly quickly.

Short of slicing the front wheels off an A.C. mower, what
can I do to help her be self-sufficient?

Thanks!

--Winston