Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weather station

I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 9:08*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. *The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. *The problems, though, is the temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. *IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

What was the reference you compared it to??
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Hi,
If it is always 4 deg. low, then add 4 deg. to the reading. Or there may
be a procedure for calibration in the manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature,
barometric pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the
temperature readings. They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me
suspect of everything else it reads and is really about useless when
it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

What was the reference you compared it to??

That's a good question Ed. It doesn't take much of a distance in areas
for differences. Possibly you have something much more accurate that you
know is in calibration?

But if it's always 4 degrees and always low, I understand your suspicions
and would probably come to the same conclusion.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

What was the reference you compared it to??

That's a good question Ed. It doesn't take much of a distance in areas
for differences. Possibly you have something much more accurate that you
know is in calibration?

But if it's always 4 degrees and always low, I understand your suspicions
and would probably come to the same conclusion.

I compared it to three other thermometers that all read the same. One was
calibrated with ice water at 32 degrees. In addition, the indoor reading
was 67 while the actual was 71. At 67, my wife would have been under a
blanket.

For close to $100, I don't want to have to make mental changes every glance
at the temperature, plus it will be off with relative humidity and wind
chill calculation that it also reads. The place the readings were taken is
within inches of each other.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

What was the reference you compared it to??

That's a good question Ed. It doesn't take much of a distance in
areas for differences. Possibly you have something much more accurate
that you know is in calibration?

But if it's always 4 degrees and always low, I understand your
suspicions and would probably come to the same conclusion.

I compared it to three other thermometers that all read the same.

Not looking good for the Accurite.

One
was calibrated with ice water at 32 degrees. In addition, the indoor
reading was 67 while the actual was 71.

At 67, my wife would have been under a blanket.

Yep, the Accurite sounds acutely inaccurate.

For close to $100, I don't want to have to make mental changes every
glance at the temperature, plus it will be off with relative humidity
and wind chill calculation that it also reads. The place the readings
were taken is within inches of each other.

In the bag/dun deal test and cal from NOAA/NWS:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/cricketconvert.shtml
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

In the bag/dun deal test and cal from NOAA/NWS:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/cricketconvert.shtml

That should work most of the year but the crickets tend to be quit at 5
below.

I did some searching and found a Zephyr Instrument model that is supposed to
be accurate to 0.5 degrees. That is a more sensible tolerance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:08:29 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Wow, 4 degrees off. I'd return it. I still use a broken aquarium
alcohol thermometer corked in a test tube and mounted where I can see
it from an indoor window. For more data than that I use the Internet
which gives me forcasts and satellite weather maps, better than
anything you can buy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Another idea. Make a water/slush mix in a clean container. It will
be an accurate 32 degrees F. The $150 is a bit much, isn't it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature,
barometric pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the
temperature readings. They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me
suspect of everything else it reads and is really about useless when
it comes to a freeze warning.
I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Most alcohol or mercury thermometers are calibrated at 72° and are marked
with an itty-bitty scratch on the column at that location. Once you make
sure your manual thermometer is set correctly, you can compare it with the
new device with confidence.

If, as a result of your comparison, your new device is still inaccurate,
call the company that made it. I'm sure they would rather make it right than
have their name mentioned here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 23, 9:08*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. *The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. *The problems, though, is the temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. *IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Is that a HD or menardys unit, try another one, Oregon Scientific is
ok, but maybe one big shop in china makes all of them, im sure you
will find one thats not defective so mail order isnt best. I bought
some radio shack thermometers for accurate remote monitoring and they
were actualy about 99.9-100% that I verified with a calibrated
mercury, Menards remotes were 2-4 f off on a batch I tried. I think
Its just luck, getting a good batch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My only weather station of sorts is my indoor outdoor
thermometer from Walmart, about fifteen bucks. Runs on AAA
cells.

When I was in school, we used to calibrate thermometers with
ice water bath, stirred not shaken. That gave us a
dependable 32F or 0C temperature.

My thermometer in the Blazer reads dependably two degrees
high. If the gage reads 78F, the weather report on the radio
is 76. I don't know of any calibration for my Blazer. Maybe
your weather station has a tweak some where for fine tuning.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is
Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for
temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor
temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the
temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of
everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze
warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone
had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Wow, 4 degrees off. I'd return it. I still use a broken aquarium
alcohol thermometer corked in a test tube and mounted where I can see
it from an indoor window. For more data than that I use the Internet
which gives me forcasts and satellite weather maps, better than
anything you can buy.

I confess I've never understood the attraction of the weather stations
myself. I can tell whether I'm hot or cold, indoors or out, without a
thermometer. I can also tell whether it's windy, or cloudy. Wind speed
and direction and even barometric pressure are relevant in aviation and
badminton, but other than that seem to fall into the useless information
category. Of course, I'm becoming somewhat of a luddite. I bet if I were
to own a watch, it wouldn't even have a GPS receiver built into it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This is my experience with just about anything I buy these days. It does not
work as it should. You need to fix it, modify it, or adjust it to get it to
work as it should.

Quality control has gone out the window!

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the temperature
readings. They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of
everything else it reads and is really about useless when it comes to a
freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature,
barometric pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the
temperature readings. They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me
suspect of everything else it reads and is really about useless when
it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

I have a LaCross Technology weather station. The temperature is
spot on as compared to my old fashioned Vermont thermometer.
However, I never did find a good place to put the wind thing (technical
term) so I just took it down.

Costco has an OSI weather station that looks good, too, and it's
$140. Costco.com search on weather station.

nancy

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Red Green" wrote in message

In the bag/dun deal test and cal from NOAA/NWS:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/cricketconvert.shtml

That should work most of the year but the crickets tend to be quit at
5 below.

I did some searching and found a Zephyr Instrument model that is
supposed to be accurate to 0.5 degrees. That is a more sensible
tolerance.

A practical solution is to use a human body temperature thermometer for
calibration. While they have a very small range (~96F - 104F) of
resolution, you can count on them to be accurate.

It would also be interesting to use a non-contact thermometer and hit the
signal off of the sensor element of the weather station.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 8:18*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

My thermometer in the Blazer reads dependably two degrees
high. If the gage reads 78F, the weather report on the radio
is 76. I don't know of any calibration for my Blazer. Maybe
your weather station has a tweak some where for fine tuning.

Where are you that the radio station keeps their thermometer in your
car?
Did you give them permission to install it, or did it come that way
from the factory?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If, as a result of your comparison, your new device is still inaccurate,
call the company that made it. I'm sure they would rather make it right
than have their name mentioned here.

I called and they told me the spec is +/- 2 degrees. At that much of a
differential, I'd not have bought it. At this point I think I'm going to
return it and buy another brand with more accuracy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
I confess I've never understood the attraction of the weather stations
myself. I can tell whether I'm hot or cold, indoors or out, without a
thermometer. I can also tell whether it's windy, or cloudy. Wind speed
and direction and even barometric pressure are relevant in aviation and
badminton, but other than that seem to fall into the useless information
category. Of course, I'm becoming somewhat of a luddite. I bet if I were
to own a watch, it wouldn't even have a GPS receiver built into it.

For most people, that is sufficient. Others make decisions based on
temperature. Just ask any farmer.

In the winter, I make decisions based on temperature. Good versus bad
decision can be a cost difference in the thousands of dollars in a season.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:18:53 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

My thermometer in the Blazer reads dependably two degrees
high. If the gage reads 78F, the weather report on the radio
is 76. I don't know of any calibration for my Blazer. Maybe
your weather station has a tweak some where for fine tuning.

Contact Government Motors :-))

My Ford temp gauge is off by 2 degrees, but at 110 - 117 degrees it
really don't matter!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Those are unfortunately low grade, non calibrated (or even calibratable)
mass market units. If you want accurate weather instrumentation, you
have to look at the Davis Instruments stuff, and yes, it does cost more
than $150 for a quality complete setup.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If, as a result of your comparison, your new device is still inaccurate,
call the company that made it. I'm sure they would rather make it right
than have their name mentioned here.

I called and they told me the spec is +/- 2 degrees. At that much of a
differential, I'd not have bought it. At this point I think I'm going to
return it and buy another brand with more accuracy.

Sadly a lot of stuff seems to have really Mickey Mouse specs.

Davis instruments makes nice stuff but are a little more spendy:

http://www.davisnet.com/

Oregon scientific also makes good stuff:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...?cid=2&scid=84
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
This is my experience with just about anything I buy these days. It does not
work as it should. You need to fix it, modify it, or adjust it to get it to
work as it should.

Quality control has gone out the window!

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. The problems, though, is the temperature
readings. They are 4 degrees low. IMO, that makes me suspect of
everything else it reads and is really about useless when it comes to a
freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

You can still buy good stuff but it likely won't be at the big box mart
or on realycheapstuff.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If, as a result of your comparison, your new device is still inaccurate,
call the company that made it. I'm sure they would rather make it right
than have their name mentioned here.

I called and they told me the spec is +/- 2 degrees. At that much of a
differential, I'd not have bought it. At this point I think I'm going
to return it and buy another brand with more accuracy.

Sadly a lot of stuff seems to have really Mickey Mouse specs.

Davis instruments makes nice stuff but are a little more spendy:

http://www.davisnet.com/

Oregon scientific also makes good stuff:

http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...?cid=2&scid=84

The Davis stuff is nice, but $600
The Oregon scientific as the same 2 degree tolerance that the Accurite has.
Only difference is they may be in tolerance while mine is not.

I did find a Zephyr Instruments that is half a degree. I'm going to call
Accurite and see what they have to say before taking it back to the store
and ordering the Zephyr.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

In the bag/dun deal test and cal from NOAA/NWS:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/cricketconvert.shtml

That should work most of the year but the crickets tend to be quit at
5 below.

I did some searching and found a Zephyr Instrument model that is
supposed to be accurate to 0.5 degrees. That is a more sensible
tolerance.

Thanks for the pointer to Zephyr brand!

Googled Zephyr Instrument. Which one were you looking at? This one caught my eye.

http://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Prod...B&Show=ExtInfo

Nice toy. I've always been drawn to these on display in stores. Why I
dunno but never saw anything of this quality & functionality. Not 50
bucks but lots of ooo's and ahhh's for the buck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"George" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

If it's the PWS-1000TB you're eyeballing, I saw $131.95 + s&h. It was $16
to NC. You can start a Buy of it and it will tell you your s&h without
putting in anything other tan zip code.

http://www.ambientweather.com/prpmpws1080tb.html

Lemme know if you find a better price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 24, 3:19*pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I bought an indoor/outdoor weather station. *The brand is Accurite.
It is a nifty setup that has outdoor remote sensors for temperature,
humidity, wind speed, wind direction, gives indoor temperature, barometric
pressure and a lot more. *The problems, though, is the temperature readings.
They are 4 degrees low. *IMO, that makes me suspect of everything else it
reads and is really about useless when it comes to a freeze warning.

I'm probably going to return it, but I'm wondering if anyone had good
experience with another brand in the less than $150 range?

Those are unfortunately low grade, non calibrated (or even calibratable)
mass market units. If you want accurate weather instrumentation, you
have to look at the Davis Instruments stuff, and yes, it does cost more
than $150 for a quality complete setup.

I've had good results with Oregon Scientific, at least as far as temp
reading accuracy go. In looking for a new one, consider the new
internet connected ones. They show you the weather for the next 4
days, forecasted hi/lo, etc. in a neat summary fashion on the screen
at all times, using numbers for the temps, symbols for sun, cloud,
rain, etc. The display is wireless, an AC powered module gets
connected to your router to receive the free weather updates.

But even this you can screw up. The Oregon Scientific weather station
that has the above features would be perfect except for one thing.
It includes a wireless outside temp sensor. But the display only
shows the outside temp as part of the daily forecast that scrolls
across the bottom of the LCD display, along with daily hi, low,
sunrise, sunset, etc. So, you have to catch it, or else push a
button to see it. That is incredibly dumb. And also something you
can't figure out until you actually have the thing. I'd gladly trade
the scrolling crap for just being able to leave outside temp up, but
it's not selectable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 24, 3:19 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Did you send them an email??

Agreed it is really dumb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

In the bag/dun deal test and cal from NOAA/NWS:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/cricketconvert.shtml

That should work most of the year but the crickets tend to be quit at
5 below.

I did some searching and found a Zephyr Instrument model that is
supposed to be accurate to 0.5 degrees. That is a more sensible
tolerance.

Thanks for the pointer to Zephyr brand!

Googled Zephyr Instrument. Which one were you looking at? This one caught
my eye.

http://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Prod...B&Show=ExtInfo

Nice toy. I've always been drawn to these on display in stores. Why I
dunno but never saw anything of this quality & functionality. Not 50
bucks but lots of ooo's and ahhh's for the buck.

it doesn't say, but do you know if this is this wireless or wired?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"charlie" wrote in message

Googled Zephyr Instrument. Which one were you looking at? This one caught
my eye.

http://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Prod...B&Show=ExtInfo

Nice toy. I've always been drawn to these on display in stores. Why I
dunno but never saw anything of this quality & functionality. Not 50
bucks but lots of ooo's and ahhh's for the buck.

it doesn't say, but do you know if this is this wireless or wired?

Wireless. In the specifications:
Wireless transmission range 330 ft max (line of site)

Wireless transmission interval every 48 seconds

Transmission Frequency 915 MHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

Thanks for the pointer to Zephyr brand!

Googled Zephyr Instrument. Which one were you looking at? This one caught
my eye.

http://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Prod...B&Show=ExtInfo

Nice toy. I've always been drawn to these on display in stores. Why I
dunno but never saw anything of this quality & functionality. Not 50
bucks but lots of ooo's and ahhh's for the buck.

I just ordered this one. I don't mind the blemish to save a lot of money.

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDe...S%2D1000TD%2DX

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

Thanks for the pointer to Zephyr brand!

Googled Zephyr Instrument. Which one were you looking at? This one
caught my eye.

http://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Prod...ctCode=PWS-100
0TB&Show=ExtInfo

Nice toy. I've always been drawn to these on display in stores. Why I
dunno but never saw anything of this quality & functionality. Not 50
bucks but lots of ooo's and ahhh's for the buck.

I just ordered this one. I don't mind the blemish to save a lot of
money.

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDe...=PWS%2D1000TD%
2DX

Upping you one Ed.

If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but s&h for
UPS ground is free.

https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Pro...e=PWS-1000TD-X
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

I just ordered this one. I don't mind the blemish to save a lot of
money.

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDe...=PWS%2D1000TD%
2DX

Upping you one Ed.

If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but s&h for
UPS ground is free.

https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Pro...e=PWS-1000TD-X

You can bet I'll be emailing them today. It is shipped from the same place.
DAS Distribution Inc.
Zephyr Instrument Division
17 Connecticut South Drive
East Granby, CT 06026

I want my $8 back!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDe...de=PWS%2D1000T
D% 2DX

Upping you one Ed.

If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but s&h
for UPS ground is free.

https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Pro...uctCode=PWS-10
00TD-X

You can bet I'll be emailing them today. It is shipped from the same
place. DAS Distribution Inc.
Zephyr Instrument Division
17 Connecticut South Drive
East Granby, CT 06026

I want my $8 back!

Yea, the web pages for descriptions and forms are just about exactly the
same.

You can bet I'll be emailing them today.

Or just cancel and reorder. Can be done right online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

I just ordered this one. I don't mind the blemish to save a lot of
money.

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDe...de=PWS%2D1000T
D% 2DX

Upping you one Ed.

If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but s&h
for UPS ground is free.

https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Pro...uctCode=PWS-10
00TD-X

You can bet I'll be emailing them today. It is shipped from the same
place. DAS Distribution Inc.
Zephyr Instrument Division
17 Connecticut South Drive
East Granby, CT 06026

I want my $8 back!

Ed:

By any chance have you come across the manual for it online? Be nice to
go over before it arrives. Did not see it on supplier/mfgr site.

My status shows as shipped but all the UPS site says is that they
received electronic shipping info but do not have the pkg yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDe...de=PWS%2D1000T
D% 2DX

Upping you one Ed.

If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but s&h
for UPS ground is free.

https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Pro...e=PWS-1000TD-X

You can bet I'll be emailing them today. It is shipped from the same
place. DAS Distribution Inc.
Zephyr Instrument Division
17 Connecticut South Drive
East Granby, CT 06026

By any chance have you come across the manual for it online? Be nice to
go over before it arrives. Did not see it on supplier/mfgr site.

My status shows as shipped but all the UPS site says is that they
received electronic shipping info but do not have the pkg yet.

No manual available on line that I can find. My order was shipped and will
arrive on Monday. The shipping weight is 9 pounds. You either get a lot of
stuff or a very heavy carton.

It will be a while before I can install the computer software though, my
computer is going to the shop tomorrow and will be a few days. The other
unit I had came with two outdoor units and the temperature sensor I put
under the deck out of the direct sun. The wind and rain will go on the deck
rail for now. I don't have a really good place for them without going to
the roof. Tall trees on two sides, detached garage have to affect wind
readings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDe...Code=PWS%2D100
0T D% 2DX

Upping you one Ed.

If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but
s&h for UPS ground is free.

https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Pro...oductCode=PWS-
1000TD-X

[...]

I was just going to get the TB without software anyway until you posted
the link to the TD-X with software at a much much better price. Hope the
inside unit easily clips on and off the the wall mount should I want to
plug the USB cable in. I do have a long USB cable with a booster but that
would be a PITA.

As far as the install, just do the best for what I have to work with. I
really know nothing about these but it seems some of the temp sensors can
be installed in the sun because they have a radiation barrier.

I found this about general installation recommendations but like I said,
just do the best for what I have to work with.

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Siting
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
As far as the install, just do the best for what I have to work with. I
really know nothing about these but it seems some of the temp sensors can
be installed in the sun because they have a radiation barrier.

I found this about general installation recommendations but like I said,
just do the best for what I have to work with.

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Siting

Good information. No problem with the temperature and humidity sensors. I'm
not so sure I want togo up on the roof for the wind though. I'll have to
compromise on that.

As for the main unit, my intention was to just leave it in the familyh room,
but the computer is at the other end of the house. I can dowload, but it
woudl be nice to have it connected for real time stuff so I may do that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green wrote in
:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDe...tCode=PWS%2D10
0 0T D% 2DX

Upping you one Ed.

If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but
s&h for UPS ground is free.

https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Pro...roductCode=PWS
- 1000TD-X

[...]

said, just do the best for what I have to work with.

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Siting

Here's a couple of pics of the installd unit. Probably a couple of little
things I could to to reduce any eyesore.

Piece of PT attached to fascia with a couple of screws to hold during
install. Mast attached to PT with 4x pipe straps and 2" galv screws. 2"
used so it penetrates PT and fascia board. Ain't coming off.

Supplied pole fits snugly inside mast pipe. Drilled hole clear through
both and put in machine screw and locknut.

Rain gague bracket spans junction of supplied upper pole to secure and
keep from turning.

Temp gague mounted with 10x1" screws into 3/4 strip.

Still ain't gonna survive a garbage can hit...

http://tinypic.com/r/2yknrf7/5
http://tinypic.com/r/nyihko/5

Couple of concerns about location but best I could do for what I have to
work with. Possible warm air collecting under soffit because siding below
gets sun in afternoon. Gable vent off to the left, Should breeze be
blowing from the left I guess it could drift over and have an effect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Red Green" wrote in message
[...]

That looks pretty good. The temperature sensor is supposed to be away from
a building, but you have to work with what you have. What did you use for
the mast pipe?