Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weather station

"Ed" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
I found this about general installation recommendations but like I
said, just do the best for what I have to work with.

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Siting

Here's a couple of pics of the installd unit. Probably a couple of
little things I could to to reduce any eyesore.

Piece of PT attached to fascia with a couple of screws to hold during
install. Mast attached to PT with 4x pipe straps and 2" galv screws.
2" used so it penetrates PT and fascia board. Ain't coming off.

Supplied pole fits snugly inside mast pipe. Drilled hole clear
through both and put in machine screw and locknut.

Rain gague bracket spans junction of supplied upper pole to secure
and keep from turning.

Temp gague mounted with 10x1" screws into 3/4 strip.

Still ain't gonna survive a garbage can hit...

http://tinypic.com/r/2yknrf7/5
http://tinypic.com/r/nyihko/5

Couple of concerns about location but best I could do for what I have
to work with. Possible warm air collecting under soffit because
siding below gets sun in afternoon. Gable vent off to the left,
Should breeze be blowing from the left I guess it could drift over
and have an effect.

That looks pretty good. The temperature sensor is supposed to be away
from a building, but you have to work with what you have. What did
you use for the mast pipe?

Yea the supplied wires are 10' long -- 5' of pole doesn't leave much left
for placing it out of the sun. I did call them the other day and asked if
the wires, which appear to nothing more than phone cable jacks and all,
were indeed wired the same internally. They said yes. So assuming length is
not an issue I guess you could go get a couple of 50 footers and put the
temp sensor where ever. Hard to place it considering all that can affect
it. I know you mentioned under a deck. With good ground clearance that
might be a good one. With low clearance you would have it getting a low
reading from the cool soil.

The mast is 3/4 copper pipe. The supplied 2' mast fits perfectly inside the
Cu pipe. Not sure if I created an ungrounded lightning rod though!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weather station [Revival]

Red Green wrote in
:

Red Green wrote in
:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message

http://www.pro-measure.com/ProductDe...ctCode=PWS%2D1
0 0 0T D% 2DX

Upping you one Ed.

If it was ordered through the Zephyr site, price is the same but
s&h for UPS ground is free.

https://www.zephyrinstrument.com/Pro...ProductCode=PW
S - 1000TD-X

You can bet I'll be emailing them today. It is shipped from the
same place. DAS Distribution Inc.
Zephyr Instrument Division
17 Connecticut South Drive
East Granby, CT 06026

By any chance have you come across the manual for it online? Be
nice to go over before it arrives. Did not see it on supplier/mfgr
site.

My status shows as shipped but all the UPS site says is that they
received electronic shipping info but do not have the pkg yet.

No manual available on line that I can find. My order was shipped
and will arrive on Monday. The shipping weight is 9 pounds. You
either get a lot of stuff or a very heavy carton.

It will be a while before I can install the computer software
though, my computer is going to the shop tomorrow and will be a few
days. The other unit I had came with two outdoor units and the
temperature sensor I put under the deck out of the direct sun. The
wind and rain will go on the deck rail for now. I don't have a
really good place for them without going to the roof. Tall trees on
two sides, detached garage have to affect wind readings.

I was just going to get the TB without software anyway until you
posted the link to the TD-X with software at a much much better
price. Hope the inside unit easily clips on and off the the wall
mount should I want to plug the USB cable in. I do have a long USB
cable with a booster but that would be a PITA.

As far as the install, just do the best for what I have to work with.
I really know nothing about these but it seems some of the temp
sensors can be installed in the sun because they have a radiation
barrier.

[...]

Well, haven't had to deal with the mentioned garbage can hit but we had
the ice and sleet storm here on Saturday in southern NC. The wind
direction and speed thingys are frozen solid up there. See how it fares
when it thaws.