Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default The year we lose our TV signals

wrote in message
as to the DVD player, I recently saw a blue ray one for 99 bucks.

now DVDs are cheaper to make than videotapes, for new movies etc

so buying a cheap DVD player or DVD VCR combo might be a good move.

or take a DVD and copy to videotape. it breaks copyright rules but
videotapes arent nearly as good picture quality as a DVD

I do have two DVD VCR combos, but the regular old VCR was just fine, until
they stopped releasing new movies in the VHS format. The DVD's don't wear
well at all, and I can't tell you how many times I've had to return them to
the video store because they're skipping, scratched etc. Once in a great
while you would get a VHS that didn't sound good or something, but not
often, with DVD's it's a crap shoot. I also hate that you can't FF through a
lot of that crap on a DVD, and on some, you can't even FF through the
previews.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"BobR" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 3:13 pm, "Cheri" wrote:
"BobR" wrote in message

You have a choice, you can keep watching your VHS tapes as long as
they last. Nobody is forcing you to watch anything. Hell I still
have a Beta player and a bunch of Beta tapes that I watch. When I
bought the CD player it was my choice, nobody forced me to buy it. I
may someday buy the BlueRay or not, again my choice. As for the
change over to digital TV, again it is my choice to either watch TV or
not and if I choose to watch, I got my converters for free.

=========

No, I don't have a choice if I want to watch a new movie...since new
movies
do not come in the VHS format. When DVD's first came out, both options
were
available, so I did have a choice. Obviously, nobody forced you to use
common sense when replying either.

Cheri

Yes, you have a choice...don't waste your time watching the damn
movie. If you don't chose to use common sense and not watch it, don't
bitch about it. You always have a choice, you just don't like the
available choices and find it easier to bitch about it than make your
silly choice and shut up.

============

You, don't waste time replying to me with your nonsense. You're obviously
one of those people that offers nothing useful, but lives to take your silly
hostilities out on other posters. Do you have any idea how many of you there
are out there? Always looking to slam somebody in newsgroups? People like
you are twice as annoying as any TV signal or DVD.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
ster.com:

Robert wrote:

Drivel snipped

Quit your whining until a few months *after* the transition when
most stations will be transmitting their digital signals on their
final channel assignments and at their final power levels. Many are
currently transmitting digital on temporary channels, at low power
from temporary transmitters, from temporary antennas and in some
cases from alternate tower sites.

one local station has said they're going to LOWER transmitted power.

I may lose that station.I've already lost NBC.(but don't miss it...)

Lowering transmitter output power doesn't necessarily mean lower ERP
if they are switching to a better antenna at a better tower position.

The station is already airing warnings that VIEWERS may need "better
antennas" or to relocate their existing antenna.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote in :

Cheri wrote:

Robert wrote:

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH !!!!

Bush Derangement Syndrome.

A much welcomed loss.......

Really? Are you sure we'll lose him? I would imagine that we'll see
and hear about him every single day for many years to come.

yep, it's going to take several years for the simpletons to figure
out how bush is no longer president. but, they'll blame him anyhow.

they need a scapegoat.
After all,they won't blame the DemocRAT-controlled Congress.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim wrote in :

hallerb wrote:

Jim wrote:
Cheri wrote:
Robert wrote:

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH
!!!! A much welcomed loss.......

Really? Are you sure we'll lose him? I would imagine that we'll
see and hear about him every single day for many years to come.

yep, it's going to take several years for the simpletons to figure
out how bush is no longer president. but, they'll blame him
anyhow.

bushes lack of judgement and common sense, will be creating troubles
for our country for generations

the bush failure effects dont end when he leaves office

so said the clinton haters...

9-11 was an example of that. Along with a weakened military.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" wrote in
:

I was just fine with Win98 for instance, but nothing supports it
anymore, so had to upgrade to Vista, which is OK, but certainly not
better IMO.

Cheri

I'm still running W98SE.

although a printer/scanner/copier I bought SAID on the box it would run
under W98SE,they deleted the drivers for W98/ME from the disc.
they did change an addendum sheet -inside- the carton,but failed to change
the carton's support chart on the outside,and required archive sites to
DELETE the already-written W98/Me drivers.

Microsoft SUCKS.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" wrote in
:

"Twayne" wrote in message

Here's a tip though: The new copy protection in the brodcast signals

that would be the Digital Rights Management or DRM.

is NOT detected by the old VCRs, and they WILL copy those "protected"
movies. I just got thru testing an old one this week; an RCA model.
So at least those will still let you record a show while you're away
from home, which you can't do with a lot of them and the new
recorders.

Thanks for the tip. I have 2 RCA models that I use, and 1 still in the
box for future use. I hope they last my lifetime. I'm old, so they
should. LOL

Cheri

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

enigma wrote in
:

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH
!!!! A much welcomed loss.......

do you think he'll have a library? if so, what books would it
contain?

At least Bush's books will have words in them.

very small words... he's not exactly literate. he was having a hard
time reading that first grade book on 9/11.
but seriously, what do ex-presidents put in their libraries?
lee

I've read that Bush reads many books every year.
He's Harvard and Yale educated,good enough to pass jet-fighter training(NOT
any easy task),survival school(SERE),and survived flying a dangerous model
of fighter jet(F-102).

You speak from ignorance and blind hatred.(Bush Derangement Syndrome)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Yanik wrote:
Jim wrote in :

hallerb wrote:

Jim wrote:
Cheri wrote:
Robert wrote:
Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH
!!!! A much welcomed loss.......
Really? Are you sure we'll lose him? I would imagine that we'll
see and hear about him every single day for many years to come.
yep, it's going to take several years for the simpletons to figure
out how bush is no longer president. but, they'll blame him
anyhow.
bushes lack of judgement and common sense, will be creating troubles
for our country for generations

the bush failure effects dont end when he leaves office

so said the clinton haters...

9-11 was an example of that. Along with a weakened military.

Oh balls. I'm sick of hearing this repeated over and over again, but
Clinton's people tried to prep the Bush administration with what they
knew about AQ and Bush's people didn't think it was a credible threat
and didn't follow through. Now can you blame Bush for that? Maybe.
Hard to say what other similar "intel" might have been coming in. Can
you blame Clinton? Not hardly - he was trying.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Jim" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:

Robert wrote:

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH !!!!
A much welcomed loss.......

Really? Are you sure we'll lose him? I would imagine that we'll see and
hear
about him every single day for many years to come.

yep, it's going to take several years for the simpletons to figure
out how bush is no longer president. but, they'll blame him anyhow.

I love it when they ask the "Man on the Street" on Hannity who Obama's VP
is, and they can't say, although they voted for Obama. Also don't know who
Rev. Wright, Resko, Ayers, Dorn, Blogovich or any of the others are. It's
going to start getting funny real soon when all of these people who voted
the man in start getting their pink slips. Oh, I forgot. Obama has a plan
to put millions to work and do all sorts of things. I guess we'll just
print some more money. That oughta take care of it. Right?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Oldfart" wrote in message

SteveB wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message
Welcome to 2009. The year we lose our TV signals. What a way to
start the year, knowing in another month and a half, we will lose our
tv reception, unless we subscribe to costly cable or satellite tv. Oh
yea, they tell us we can get convertors and even give us coupons worth
$40 for the $50 and up boxes that DO NOT work in rural areas, because
the digital signals are under-powered for those in fringe areas. Yea,
i know this first hand. I got my coupon, bought a $60 box for $20 and
the coupon, and while I used to get 7 channels (occasionally two
more), with the converter box, I get PBS. That's it. I can watch Mr.
Rogers, Sesame Street, Teletubbies, and all the cruddy english garbage
they show, but no local news, no weather reports, no Soaps (that psrt
is OK, I hate soaps)...... I'll just miss the local news and weather
reports, and once and awhile South Park..... Either way, even despite
most of the crappy tv programs, like American Idol, all the Crime
shows, Survivor, and the Springer Show, I will still miss the tv. On
the plus side I will no longer have to climb on the roof to fix my
antenna after a windstorm.....

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH !!!!
A much welcomed loss.......

It looks like 2009 may end up being NEUTRAL. We lose an asshole
president and out tv signals.

Happy New Year

Robert

What's the big ****ing deal? Get a dish. Move. Get cable. Throw away
that piece of **** antiquated television and get another one. Learn to
read. Buy a DVD player. Quit watching so much tube and do something
else.

As to Bush, at least give this purple lipped big eared cocksucking
non-citizen of the US liberal a year to give away even more of your money
than Bush could ever do, and then comment. Bush at least kept the oil
flowing with all that money. Big Ears is going to give it to every lazy
mother****er who goes down and fills out the paperwork, although a
$80,000 per year plus benefits government worker will have to fill them
out because lazy mother****er can't read or write. That is, the money
that's left over after him and his cronies take their vig, and IF there's
any left.

WHERE'S MAH CHECK! or DONDE ESTA MI CHEQUE?

It's coming. Bend over.

Steve

You are one nasty piece of ****! Good thing you're not my neighbour,
asshole!

Reality sucks. You're an adult. Cope.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
AL AL is offline

dadiOH wrote:
AL wrote:
dadiOH wrote:

Progress? [...]The feds get billions...and the manufacturers get to
sell new, "improved" TV sets. Wide screen ones at that (another
useless "innovation").

yeah, those original round screens are the way to go - who needs
"innovation"?

The 35mm format with a ratio of 3:4 worked just fine for 100 years plus.
Yes, movies moved on but TV retained it. Why change?

You know, I've heard of that 35mm thing but I shoot 645 and 6x6. But
then I've also talked to some who are really big on 4x5 - I even know
one guy who swears by 8x10 - go figger. Have you noticed how muffled
things sound from where you have your head stuck?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
although a printer/scanner/copier I bought SAID on the box it would run
under W98SE,they deleted the drivers for W98/ME from the disc.
they did change an addendum sheet -inside- the carton,but failed to change
the carton's support chart on the outside,and required archive sites to
DELETE the already-written W98/Me drivers.

Microsoft SUCKS.

Why does Microsoft suck? Did they make the printer? Does your Ford or
Chevy dealer still stock headlight assemblies for you 1952 model? When you
buy a new computer or peripheral you know it will be out of date when you
get it home and won't be supported after a few years.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default HI HOW ARE YOU?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 18:13:48 -0500, The Henchman
wrote:

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

Get a dish, you idiot.

What if he doesn't want to spend the money on the dish? I thought his
point
was he was going to lose local news?

poor baby. Move out of the sticks, get a dish, buy a radio, or learn how
read a newspaper.

Better yet stay in the stick and subscribe to some free rss feeds and blogs
and keep living the lifestyle you want.

I think the OP is just a complainer. He even admitted he doesn't like
what's on "free" tv anyways....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 7:43*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Pete C." wrote onster.com:

Jim Yanik wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in
onster.com:

Robert wrote:

[...]

kua.net- Hide quoted text -

Does that sound like progress to you? ;)

TMT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 7:58*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
enigma wrote :

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote

[...]

I also hear that he went AWOL, is an alcoholic and is considered the
most unpopular President in history.

And oh yeah....he is handing out trillions of our money to his
friends.

TMT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 8:58�pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
enigma wrote :

"SteveB" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH
!!!! A much welcomed loss.......

do you think he'll have a library? if so, what books would it
contain?

At least Bush's books will have words in them.

very small words... he's not exactly literate. he was having a hard
time reading that first grade book on 9/11.
�but seriously, what do ex-presidents put in their libraries?
lee

I've read that Bush reads many books every year.
He's Harvard and Yale educated,good enough to pass jet-fighter training(NOT
any easy task),survival school(SERE),and survived flying a dangerous model
of fighter jet(F-102).

You speak from ignorance and blind hatred.(Bush Derangement Syndrome)

--
Jim Yanik

Do myou want thje list of bush failures? Katrina? Attacking Iraq for
no good reason. Presiding over the largest stock market and economic
recession since the great depression. theres more.

bush derangment syndrome......

Supporting a obvious FAILURE despite tons of evidence of his complete
failure
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 22:15:42 -0500, "The Henchman"
wrote:

PLONK

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 6:40 am, AL wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
Progress? [...]The feds get billions...and the manufacturers get to sell
new,
"improved" TV sets. Wide screen ones at that (another useless
"innovation").

yeah, those original round screens are the way to go - who needs
"innovation"?

Exactly. Just what was wrong with a 6" round screen.

And who was the idiot that decided we needed color?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:34:33 -0800 (PST), BobR
wrote:

On Jan 2, 3:13*pm, "Cheri" wrote:

[...]

Oh SHUT THE **** UP for God's sake !!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
although a printer/scanner/copier I bought SAID on the box it would run
under W98SE,they deleted the drivers for W98/ME from the disc.
they did change an addendum sheet -inside- the carton,but failed to change
the carton's support chart on the outside,and required archive sites to
DELETE the already-written W98/Me drivers.

Microsoft SUCKS.

Why does Microsoft suck? Did they make the printer? Does your Ford or Chevy
dealer still stock headlight assemblies for you 1952 model? When you buy a
new computer or peripheral you know it will be out of date when you get it
home and won't be supported after a few years.

Especially since the drivers are only the responsibility of the printers
manufacturer.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:

Robert wrote:

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH !!!!
A much welcomed loss.......

Really? Are you sure we'll lose him? I would imagine that we'll see and hear
about him every single day for many years to come.

yep, it's going to take several years for the simpletons to figure
out how bush is no longer president. but, they'll blame him anyhow.

I love it when they ask the "Man on the Street" on Hannity who Obama's VP is,
and they can't say, although they voted for Obama. Also don't know who Rev.
Wright, Resko, Ayers, Dorn, Blogovich or any of the others are. It's going to
start getting funny real soon when all of these people who voted the man in
start getting their pink slips. Oh, I forgot. Obama has a plan to put
millions to work and do all sorts of things. I guess we'll just print some
more money. That oughta take care of it. Right?

I don't know. That's what the republicans did. Did it work for them?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"enigma" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote in
:

"enigma" wrote

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH
!!!! A much welcomed loss.......

do you think he'll have a library? if so, what books would it
contain?

At least Bush's books will have words in them.

very small words... he's not exactly literate. he was having a hard
time reading that first grade book on 9/11.
but seriously, what do ex-presidents put in their libraries?

I don't know, but they did have a problem with a bunch of illegally erased
e-mails.
They won't be there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Jan 2009 01:58:56 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote Re
The year we lose our TV signals:

I've read that Bush reads many books every year.
He's Harvard and Yale educated,good enough to pass jet-fighter training(NOT
any easy task),survival school(SERE),and survived flying a dangerous model
of fighter jet(F-102).

Well, you can say what you want about Bush, but I believe you have to
admit that he as been the guy in charge of an administration that:

1) bungled a war (and pacification) worse than anything since Vietnam

and

2) bungled the economy worse than anything since the 1929 depression.

That's pretty impressive miss-management even by American standards.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 17:25:38 -0800, "Cheri"
wrote:

You, don't waste time replying to me with your nonsense. You're obviously
one of those people that offers nothing useful, but lives to take your silly
hostilities out on other posters. Do you have any idea how many of you there
are out there? Always looking to slam somebody in newsgroups? People like
you are twice as annoying as any TV signal or DVD.

Cheri

Amen

I'll put up with soem of these assholes, but after reading the same
useless ****, from the same asshole, about 4 times in a row, I used my
killfile on the asshole. Seems like I use that thing more and more
lately. This aint frikkin politics we're discussing. I as well as
others do not like this forced change to digital tv and have good
reason since all I will soon watch is PBS. Just because some city kid
gets more channels does not mean it will please all of us or even work
for all of us. I feel the same about these new Blueray things. I was
satisfied with my VCR, and I overlooked an occasional broken tape. I
finally got a DVD player, and will admit they are more reliable and
the picture quality is better. But there is no way in hell that I am
going to buy a Blueray. Jesus Christ, what more picture or sound
quality do I need to watch a damn movie. I get just as many laughs
out of a comedy whether it's on VHS or DVD.

The whole thing comes down to sucking more money out of those people
stupid enough to buy into all this technology that they *think* they
need because some advertiser tells them so. It's the same with
computers. I run a computer from 2000, use Windows 98, and I have no
intention to upgrade the operating system. I dont need all this
useless video crap they put on websites these days, I dont play games
on the computer. What do I need to read newsgroups, get email, and
get some information from the web. I dont even allow videos, and
blocked the flash stuff. Why do I need that stuff to get a simple
weather report, look at the latest news, look up the lyrics to a song,
or research why my dog threw up. The answer is that I DONT. People
who use their computer as a toy to play games, or do other power
hungry stuff, might need XP or Vista. I dont, and I even gave XP a
try and hated it. I hope when 98 becomes totally obsolete I can
either afford a Macintosh, or someone came out with another non-MS
operating system that anyone can use (which is not linux).

Anyhow, the bottom line is that there is always some one trying to
suck another dollar out of our pockets, and most of us dont even need
the stuff. Yet, these companies know how to make things obsolete to
force us to buy their new crap, and what really irks me, is that every
upgrade makes things more and more complicated to use. I dont know
about others, but I';d rather be able to easily make use of some
device, than have something so full of complicated features that I get
no use out of it. A good example of this is photo editing. I use a
version of Paint Shop Pro from 1998 or 99. I can do all sorts of fun
stuff with photos. Someone told me I need the latest Photoshop. They
have it and showed it to me. I took one look and said "how many years
does it take to learn all those buttons?". He said he's worked with
it for years, but everytime he starts to catch on, there is a new
version. Well, that about sums it all up. We can own the latest
gadgets, but never get any use out of them because no one fully ever
learns how to use them.

I use what works for me. Windows 98, PSP5, my 4 year old CRT tv, my
VHS and DVD movies, and my 16 year old pickup truck. I have no
outstanding debts, and except my latest utility bills, and I can sit
back and enjoy life and my computer and movies without working 3 jobs
to pay for all this crap, and always being in debt and wanting more
because some greedy ******* is wanting to get his filthy hands in my
wallet, by telling me I need more and more and more.....
Some day we will all be buried in our waste, and then we will look
back and wonder why.......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I've read that Bush reads many books every year.
He's Harvard and Yale educated,good enough to pass jet-fighter
training(NOT
any easy task),survival school(SERE),and survived flying a dangerous
model
of fighter jet(F-102).

You speak from ignorance and blind hatred.(Bush Derangement Syndrome)

I also hear that he went AWOL, is an alcoholic and is considered the
most unpopular President in history.

And oh yeah....he is handing out trillions of our money to his
friends.

There's a difference between what's provable amongst that which is heard.
Dan Rather claimed Bush went AWOL, and Rather got fired. Bush admitted to
being an alcoholic (reformed). I rather doubt he's the most unpopular
president in history considering Lincoln, Andrew Johnson, Jackson, U.S.
Grant, and others.

As for handing out trillions to his friends, give the guy some credit. It
would be really stupid to hand out money to his enemies.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

SteveB wrote:

Jim wrote:
Cheri wrote:
Robert wrote:

[...]

when looking at any event the total of all parts needs to and should be
considered. for any event there are always two parts, the action and the
reaction. for example, concerning jobs, pink slips and foreclosures. the
action was based on greed while the reaction was based on desire. the greed
of some made use of the desire of others. as for govern-0-mites and their
need for power prompting their rise to power we again see how action produced
reaction. it was the need and the desire of the simpletons to be governed
producing the opportunity for the corrupt to enslave the simpletons through
the utilization of a desire on the part of the simpletons.

while guided by the principles of the logical mindset seeing is believing.
first there must be understanding for there to be the seeing. those without
understanding are relegated to the place of insignificance. theirs is the
place of the simpleton who will always be used to the benefit of those who
arrive at the understanding of and for first. in relation to the things of
the universe one who understands cause and effect has the power to make use
of the antecedent for their own benefit or desired outcome of the event.

keeping the simpletons confused off balance and unorganized has long been
the desired method for making the best use of simpletons.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Bob F wrote:

SteveB wrote:
Jim wrote:
Cheri wrote:
Robert wrote:

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH !!!!
A much welcomed loss.......

Really? Are you sure we'll lose him? I would imagine that we'll see and hear
about him every single day for many years to come.

yep, it's going to take several years for the simpletons to figure
out how bush is no longer president. but, they'll blame him anyhow.

I love it when they ask the "Man on the Street" on Hannity who Obama's VP is,
and they can't say, although they voted for Obama. Also don't know who Rev.
Wright, Resko, Ayers, Dorn, Blogovich or any of the others are. It's going to
start getting funny real soon when all of these people who voted the man in
start getting their pink slips. Oh, I forgot. Obama has a plan to put
millions to work and do all sorts of things. I guess we'll just print some
more money. That oughta take care of it. Right?

I don't know.

precisely.

That's what the republicans did. Did it work for them?

if you were able to see the overall and total picture where the long
term plan is revealed then you'd know just how well it did work.

on a journey of this nature certain events while appearing to contradict
the apparent goal actually work to the advantage of those seeking to obtain
the unapparent and actual desired outcome.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message

2) bungled the economy worse than anything since the 1929 depression.

That's pretty impressive miss-management even by American standards.

There he had the help of the Democratic Congress. Remember how our system
works? He is President, not dictator.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Get your coupons soon

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200901..._tv_transition

WASHINGTON - The Feb. 17 transition from analog to digital television
broadcasts looms and as many as 8 million households are still unprepared,
but the government program that subsidizes crucial TV converter boxes is
about to run out of money.

People who still rely on analog TV sets to pick up over-the-air signals -
whether it is through rabbit-ear aerials on TVs or antennas on the roof -
will see their screens go dark when the changeover happens. To avoid that,
those people have to switch to cable or satellite TV, buy a television set
with a digital tuner or buy a converter box that can translate digital
signals from the airwaves into analog.

To subsidize the converter boxes, most of which cost between $40 and $80,
the government has been letting consumers request up to two $40 coupons per
home. But any day now, the National Telecommunications and Information
Administration (NTIA), the arm of the Commerce Department in charge of
administering the coupon program, expects to hit a $1.34 billion funding
ceiling set by Congress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Caesar Romano" wrote in message

2) bungled the economy worse than anything since the 1929 depression.

That's pretty impressive miss-management even by American standards.

There he had the help of the Democratic Congress. Remember how our system
works? He is President, not dictator.

And a lot of this built up over time. We have had an abysmal savings
rate for most of the last half of the 20th Century, much of this and the
last three financial fiascos can be placed at the foot on Congress
playing with tax laws (The actual salary of most honchoes, if you look
at the SEC filings runs around $1million or so because that is what the
Congress said can be deducted. The rest of it (sometimes as much as 100
times the base salary) comes from bonuses and stock options which were
encouraged by Congress and tax laws. This was done so that the honchoes'
needs would be more in tune with the needs of the stockholders. Of
course, this resulted in a bunch of things occurring. Not the least of
which is honchoe's total compensation running a few orders of magnitude
above what even the most captive board would have had hte balls to give
them under the old system. Also it effectively DIVORCED the priorities
of the honchoes from the shareholders by tying such a high portion of
their income to the stock price. In addition, for those so inclined,
gave the exec's cover to try all of the Rocket Science bookkeeping,
credit swaps, etc., because it could be rationalized as raising profits
and thus stock prices and thus in the best interests of the stockholders.
Wasn't surprising all the crap that went down, it was almost
mandated by human nature and the tax laws. What was surprising is that
it wasn't more widespread than it was.
Then you've got the individual overleveraged not just in the
mortgages but credit cards, home equity, car loans, etc. There was more
than enough greed to go around.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

I suspect the only people who really should be ****ed are the ones who
already had a good quality, high mounted antenna and are having trouble
getting the signal. This should be very rare. Second are the people who
will have to upgrade their antenna, get a higher mast and upgraded feed
line. This can be costly if professionally installed.

My house resembles that second remark. :^(

I have satt, so it isn't urgent. But my satt local package doesn't carry
ALL the locals, and doesn't carry the secondary channels they are adding
with digital. Plus, knowing Murphy was an optimist, I always try to have a
backup for everything. Don't really wanna spring for a rotator, which I
would need to get all the signals in this fringe area, so trying to devise
a spot to put the mast where I can just reach out the window, loosen a
thumbscrew, and rotate the mast by hand, for the very occasional times I
need to point the other direction.

--
aem sends...

In this case, add a second antenna pointing in the direction of the other
signal. mix the signals at an inline amp.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Andy" wrote in message

JohnR66 wrote:

I suspect the only people who really should be ****ed are the ones who
already had a good quality, high mounted antenna and are having trouble
getting the signal. This should be very rare. Second are the people who
will
have to upgrade their antenna, get a higher mast and upgraded feed line.
This can be costly if professionally installed.

Andy writes

I think you are incorrect....

In my area, stations have been broadcasting digital signals together
with the old analog signals for over a year.,

I have one of the free $40 digital converter boxes, so I can watch
either the
old analog signal or the new digital signal, as I choose....

The digital signals have a better picture quality, although I am
using
only an old standard definition color set.

Each analog channel, in addition to the analog signal has an
additional
three digital channels,.... so I get three times the number of
channels without
any detrimental effect.....

For instance, the old channel 12 analog is now 12.1 , 12.2 and
12.3 and
separate programs are transmitted on each.

When the analog signals are ended, each channel
will be able to broadcast FIVE digital standard definition channels,
or 2 or 3
high definition channels (I forget which). The choice of programming
is , of course, up to the station, but in all cases it will be the
same or
better, or more numerous....... a business decision.

So, with NO loss of quality, and with no change in the antenna,
after
February 17th , using my $40 decoder box (which the government
paid for and I got it for free, as can anyone) I will have more
channels,
a better picture, and additional features, since the decoder boxes
have
"guide", "signal strength" and a bunch of other built-in features
that the
old analog system doesn't have...

The only requirement is that I plug in a cheap , free, converter
box OR
buy a new TV......

Don't worry about antennae ---- if you get a decent signal now, you
will get
a better signal in the future, since the digital processing is more
efficient
than the analog.

If you get a really bad signal now, you will still get a really bad
signal, which
might not be able to be processed........ But the customer really
needed a
fix for that anyway, and maybe a higher, or larger, or rotatable
antenna
will help....Maybe not.... but there won't be any change in their
need.....

NONE of my above discussion applies to cable, or satellite
signals.
They do not change at all....

By the way, this stuff has been advertised and talked about for
the last
three years. Someone would have to be in a coma not to know about
it.
I got my first FREE digital TV converter box about a year or so
ago....
THAT has been advertised for a year and a half, and they started
accepting
applications for the free coupon in january 2008.

If one googles " D T V converter box " they can learn all about
it.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

PS I now have several converter boxes, which I have compared, and I
like the RCA one very much. I do not like the Magnavox one
very
much.....

Why incorrect?
I understand about the clear picture and more channels. I have a convertor
on my old TV since Spring and get the extra all the sub channels.
My point was people who live in the country 40 plus miles from the city may
have an issue picking up some of the channels without investing in a high
performance antenna system.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Jan 2, 11:24*am, Jim wrote:
Robert wrote:

[...]

how long do you envision it taking you to produce a suitable replacement
and thus have someone new you can blame for your misery, shortcomings,
failures and overall unhappiness?

Could be a very long time. Here in the Peoples Republic of NJ, the
Democrats are still blaming Christie Whitman for everything wrong in
this state. And that would include being in the top 3 for total
taxes, high real estate taxes, a sales tax that was recently pushed to
7%, being in the top 3 for auto insurance costs, drowning in over
regulation, being at the bottom of the list for amount of federal aid
received vs the amount we send to feds in taxes, etcc. Whitman
left when Bush was elected in 2000 to head the EPA. Ever since, the
Dems have had not only the governor spot, but also solid control of
both the Assembly and Senate, something Whitman never had. Anybody
remember Jim (I'm just a gay American) McGreevey? And they have both
Senate seats and most of the House seats for NJ. Yet they continue
to somehow blame Whitman for everything.

It looks like 2009 may end up being NEUTRAL. *We lose an asshole
president and out tv signals.

Happy New Year

really?

Robert- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

"Robert" wrote in message

I use what works for me. Windows 98, PSP5, my 4 year old CRT tv, my
VHS and DVD movies, and my 16 year old pickup truck. I have no
outstanding debts, and except my latest utility bills, and I can sit
back and enjoy life and my computer and movies without working 3 jobs
to pay for all this crap, and always being in debt and wanting more
because some greedy ******* is wanting to get his filthy hands in my
wallet, by telling me I need more and more and more.....
Some day we will all be buried in our waste, and then we will look
back and wonder why.......

Hear! Hear! And I might add, many drowning in debt with *hayuge* houses they
can't afford, wanting the government to bail them out, but wanting to keep
all their toys in the process. I still live in my starter home, which will
be my ending home as well.:-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Jan 3, 3:17*am, Terri wrote:
Robert wrote :

Welcome to 2009. *The year we lose our TV signals. *What a way to
start the year, knowing in another month and a half, we will lose our
tv reception, unless we subscribe to costly cable or satellite tv. *Oh
yea, they tell us we can get convertors and even give us coupons worth
$40 for the $50 and up boxes that DO NOT work in rural areas, because
the digital signals are under-powered for those in fringe areas. *Yea,
i know this first hand. *I got my coupon, bought a $60 box for $20 and
the coupon, and while I used to get 7 channels (occasionally two
more), with the converter box, I get PBS. *

Other than those in areas needing to hear tornado updates on tv I still
fail to see why losing tv signal is any great loss. There's virtually
nothing but crap on both regular AND paid programming and if you've got
a computer and a way to dialup, you can get the news by reading it
rather than listening to some bimbo telling you 24 hour *breaking news*
updates about Anna Nicole Smith or OJ Simpson.

If it were up to me the only time our tv would be on is to play and
watch a DVD.

I guess you never heard of or watched The History Channel, Discovery,
National Geographic, 60 Minutes, etc.

Combing RF signals borosteve UK diy 6 August 22nd 07 05:49 PM
RF Signals Himszy Electronics 2 March 20th 05 03:44 AM
alarm signals cynders Home Ownership 0 February 2nd 05 08:54 PM