Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Car generator to power house

It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...ing-snow-storm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 5:00�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow...

see it can be done

RVers use inverters constantly
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...ing-snow-storm
Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect from
Mass. I use an inverter on a deep cycle marine battery in my service
vehicle. It powers chargers, lights, and the occasional power tool. Most of
the time it spends slowly recharging off the vehicle alternator. short
bursts are all they're really good for,if you're using any real power. So
this clown runs out to recharge his car once an hour or so, and thinks he's
a genius. If he had a half a brain he wouldn't be bothering powering his
refrigerator during a snow storm, and he'd own a cheap generator like his
smarter, but less environmentally friendly neighbors, who are all, by the
way, laughing at the idiot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:00:02 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...ing-snow-storm

The prius is a different story altogether. Notice 17 KILLOWATTS, with
the car starting about every half hout.
Gen 2 is 33Kw, and gen 3 is 50KW!!
Battery pack voltage is 273+ volts, so he wasn't using your normal
every-day inverter either!!.
The Gen 2 battery is good for 80 amps, and can take a 50 amp charge -
so not your typical deep-cycle battery either.
Gen 3 is 201 volts. Both are rated at 6.5 aH - or in the Gen3 case,
1300 watt hours (1.3kwh)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 17:30:41 -0500, "RBM" wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...ing-snow-storm
Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect from
Mass. I use an inverter on a deep cycle marine battery in my service
vehicle. It powers chargers, lights, and the occasional power tool. Most of
the time it spends slowly recharging off the vehicle alternator. short
bursts are all they're really good for,if you're using any real power. So
this clown runs out to recharge his car once an hour or so, and thinks he's
a genius. If he had a half a brain he wouldn't be bothering powering his
refrigerator during a snow storm, and he'd own a cheap generator like his
smarter, but less environmentally friendly neighbors, who are all, by the
way, laughing at the idiot.

The Prius is a genius - it starts itself when the battery gets down to
40% charge. No going out to the cold to start the generator.
Ant it is at leasta 13KW generator

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...ing-snow-storm
Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd expect from
Mass. I use an inverter on a deep cycle marine battery in my service
vehicle. It powers chargers, lights, and the occasional power tool. Most of
the time it spends slowly recharging off the vehicle alternator. short
bursts are all they're really good for,if you're using any real power. So
this clown runs out to recharge his car once an hour or so, and thinks he's
a genius. If he had a half a brain he wouldn't be bothering powering his
refrigerator during a snow storm, and he'd own a cheap generator like his
smarter, but less environmentally friendly neighbors, who are all, by the
way, laughing at the idiot.

Either RBM didn't read or didn't comprehend the article. Perhaps she was
distracted by a Limbaugh lame-assed rant.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...ing-snow-storm

Here's an excerpt:

"FIRST, the Prius carries a much LARGER BATTERY PACK than a regular car,
allowing someone to power more appliances for longer than the
conventional AC Delco found in most cars. SECOND, unlike some backup
battery systems found in homes, the Prius, like other cars, can recharge
its batteries with its normal internal combustion engine. And here's the
BEST PART -- because the PRIUS AUTOMATICALLY TURNS ITSELF ON WHEN THE
BATTERIES DRAIN to a certain level, SWEENEY LEFT THE CAR RUNNING AND IT
AUTOMATICALLY TURNED OVER WHEN IT NEEDED TO RECHARGE -- about once every
30 minutes. IF YOU WERE TRYING TO DO WHAT SWEENEY DID WITH A NON-HYBRID,
YOU'D FIND YOURSELF SPENDING A LOT MORE TIME OUTSIDE IN THE COLD. I THE
EFFICIENCY OF THE AUTO-ON FEATURE MEANT SWEENEY ONLY USED AROUND FIVE
GALLONS OF GAS."

Sweeney used considerably more gas to produce the 17 Kwh he used than my
Honda EU2000i would have used but I'll wager he used LESS gas than the
typical gas-hogging genny would have required to power what he did for
"a few days".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Erma1ina" wrote in message
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

Actually the ends of the columns were cut off for some reason, so I didn't
see that the car starts itself, of the part where Toyota voids the fools
warranty for misusing the equipment, and shortening the life of the battery.
If he had half a brain, he'd buy equipment intended for the purpose, like a
generator.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,
13KW at 12V or 120V?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

Neither, the car has two motor/generators and a high voltage battery. It
also has a 12 volt battery, and as with most of these puff articles, they
either don't know or aren't going to divulge any of the pertinent
information

Posted to alt.home.repair

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

That prolly should read 17 KW, not 17 KWH, huh?

Anyone remember back maybe 35 years ago when you could buy gizmos which
tricked a regular automobile alternator into outputting something near
120 volts DC which could be used to power things like power tools with
"universal" (AC or DC) electric motors in them?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

I built one into my first Ford service van. I installed a separate battery
and alternator, so as not to interfere with the vehicle's equipment. You did
have to crank up the rpms quite a bit to get over 90 volts, but the damn
thing did work

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 4:00*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow...

Another good reason to own a hybrid, that system is made to make
electricity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

Watts the difference?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

Actually the ends of the columns were cut off for some reason, so I
didn't see that the car starts itself, of the part where Toyota voids
the fools warranty for misusing the equipment, and shortening the
life of the battery. If he had half a brain, he'd buy equipment
intended for the purpose, like a generator.

Prius owners are not the sharpest knife in the six-pack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Dec 26, 4:00 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow...

Another good reason to own a hybrid, that system is made to make
electricity.

There are no good reasons to own a hybrid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
RBM wrote:

Actually the ends of the columns were cut off for some reason, so I
didn't see that the car starts itself, of the part where Toyota voids
the fools warranty for misusing the equipment, and shortening the
life of the battery. If he had half a brain, he'd buy equipment
intended for the purpose, like a generator.

Prius owners are not the sharpest knife in the six-pack.
Actually, It's a bigger joke than it would appear from that one article.
The only thing of any consequence that the idiot powered was his
refrigerator, during a snowstorm. They kept warm by using a gas fireplace,
(electric ignition). The reporters are idiots as well, as they report on
the special battery that the hybrid uses, but in fact the guy only used a
generic 1000 watt inverter, connected to the smaller than a normal 12 volt
car battery that the Prius uses. The really big battery that the prius uses
to power it's drive motors is over 200 volts, but the reporters certainly
aren't going to let the technical stuff , or reality, get in the way of a
good story.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 8:04�pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Dec 26, 4:00 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow....

Another good reason to own a hybrid, that system is made to make
electricity.

There are no good reasons to own a hybrid.

fiancial probably not.

however some prius owners are adding some equiptement to charge the
battery pack at home from the power line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
ransley wrote:
On Dec 26, 4:00 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow...

Another good reason to own a hybrid, that system is made to make
electricity.

There are no good reasons to own a hybrid.

My brother gets to drive solo in the carpool lane in his.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

No. It should read exactly as it does: 17 KWH (Energy) NOT 17 KW
(Power). He used 17 KWH of ENERGY during those "few days".
Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
RBM wrote:

[...]

For God's sake, give it up. You've already shown yourself to be a fool.
LOL.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Erma1ina" wrote in message
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, you are correct here, and Jeff, as an EE understands KW and KWH,
however the deceptive wording of the puff story makes it sound like he was
getting 17 KWH, and never mentions that he only had a 1 KW inverter. It also
makes an incorrect comparison between the "Delco" battery of a normal car
and the special battery of the prius, with no concern for the fact that the
only 12 volt battery the Prius has, is a gel cell not much bigger than a
motorcycle battery, and considerably smaller than the Delco. You can buy
into this garbage if you so choose, but some of us live in the world where
laws of physics matter

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow...

The prius is a different story altogether. Notice 17 KILLOWATTS, with
the car starting about every half hout.
Gen 2 is 33Kw, and gen 3 is 50KW!!
Battery pack voltage is 273+ volts, so he wasn't using your normal
every-day inverter either!!.

That assumes the inverter was somehow hooked directly to the Prius
battery pack. I see no indication that was the case. He only drew
17KWH over several days. I would think that could have been
provided by a small conventional inverter connected to the car's 12V
subsytem.

The Gen 2 battery is good for 80 amps, and can take a 50 amp charge -
so not your typical deep-cycle battery either.
Gen 3 is 201 volts. Both are rated at 6.5 aH - or in the Gen3 case,
1300 watt hours (1.3kwh)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow...

The prius is a different story altogether. Notice 17 KILLOWATTS, with
the car starting about every half hout.
Gen 2 is 33Kw, and gen 3 is 50KW!!
Battery pack voltage is 273+ volts, so he wasn't using your normal
every-day inverter either!!.

That assumes the inverter was somehow hooked directly to the Prius
battery pack. I see no indication that was the case. He only drew
17KWH over several days. I would think that could have been
provided by a small conventional inverter connected to the car's 12V
subsytem.

The Gen 2 battery is good for 80 amps, and can take a 50 amp charge -
so not your typical deep-cycle battery either.
Gen 3 is 201 volts. Both are rated at 6.5 aH - or in the Gen3 case,
1300 watt hours (1.3kwh)

There are a dozen different stories on it. Reporters from all over were just
tripping over each other to write a worship the Prius story. Bottom line, he
connected a 1000 watt garden variety inverter to the gel cell 12 volt
battery, and let the car auto start to keep it charged. I guess he needed to
be a Harvard EE to figure out how to connect the red and black wires to the
battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 7:04*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:
On Dec 26, 4:00 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow....

Another good reason to own a hybrid, that system is made to make
electricity.

There are no good reasons to own a hybrid.

What do you drive, a 8mpg, 4wd expedition, Wasting money to drive is
not money you keep or enjoy. Do you agree with giving 700 Billion a
year to our Arab enemies to move our vehicles. Hybrid is one good
alternative, but until the Gov subsides them they are high priced. 700
Billion we could have bought everyone in the world an Iphone, or paid
for insurance, fix our infrastructure, or pay for enough solar to make
a big difference here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why put it down, if you had a Chevy hybrid you would do it, My
neighbor had a Escalade Hybrid for testing and it will sell. but I am
sure you would do it more carefully. Monitoring the Gen temp and other
components with an IR thermometer and having aiflow would have been
smart.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I'm not putting down that car or any other hybrid, only the deceptive
,twisted story, designed to make a guy with no foresight look like a genius,
and the least innovative part of the hybrid, (the gel cell), appear to be
something miraculous.

I too, live in the northeast. We have snow and ice storms. Sometimes we lose
electricity. People who don't want to be without power in those
circumstances, like me, own generators designed to power everything we
desire during an outage. It's really a no brainer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 12:52*am, Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
om...
RBM wrote:

[...]

LOL.- Hide quoted text -

You are smart getting 35 mpg in stop and go traffic when everyone else
is getting about 10. , Demand, resale value, a car with the absolute
highest reliabilty in recent studies. What I see is poor folk driving
large 4 wd in the city.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:
On Dec 27, 12:52 am, Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
RBM wrote:
[...]

you could get the same mileage with a TDI, and a hybrid may be
"reliable" but it sure ain't gonna be "durable" once you need new batteries.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 06:47:24 GMT, Erma1ina
wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

I SUSPECT you are wrong - as theist generation Prius had a 17 KW
generator . Second Generation was something like30, and 3rd generation
50 or 55, from what I remember.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

What do you drive, a 8mpg, 4wd expedition, Wasting money to drive is
not money you keep or enjoy.

Agreed. I once had a car that got NINE miles to the gallon! It was a Ford
Custom 500 - with a 426 Interceptor engine, 4bbl carb, etc. God, I loved
that car.

Do you agree with giving 700 Billion a
year to our Arab enemies to move our vehicles.

Rest easy. We don't. We get about 15% of our imported oil from the Arab
lands. Most imported oil comes from our Canadian enemies (25%) and a goodly
bit from our Mexican enemies (13%). We also get a surprising amount from our
Nigerian enemies (10%).

Hybrid is one good
alternative, but until the Gov subsides them they are high priced. 700
Billion we could have bought everyone in the world an Iphone, or paid
for insurance, fix our infrastructure, or pay for enough solar to make
a big difference here.

No matter what is done, solar can never make even a tiny difference, let
alone a big one.

Had we spent the $700 billion as you suggest, we could talk to everyone on
the planet as we pedaled our bikes. That would be nice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow...

The prius is a different story altogether. Notice 17 KILLOWATTS, with
the car starting about every half hout.
Gen 2 is 33Kw, and gen 3 is 50KW!!
Battery pack voltage is 273+ volts, so he wasn't using your normal
every-day inverter either!!.

That assumes the inverter was somehow hooked directly to the Prius
battery pack. I see no indication that was the case. He only drew
17KWH over several days. I would think that could have been
provided by a small conventional inverter connected to the car's 12V
subsytem.

The Gen 2 battery is good for 80 amps, and can take a 50 amp charge -
so not your typical deep-cycle battery either.
Gen 3 is 201 volts. Both are rated at 6.5 aH - or in the Gen3 case,
1300 watt hours (1.3kwh)

Which WOUYLD be absolute lunacy - and the Prius does NOT auto-restart
on the 12 volt accessory battery level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

Don't think so. Here's the quote:

"Though he couldn't run his entire house one his one car, they were able
to get approximately 17 Kilowatt hours of energy. This was enough to
power his refrigerator/freezer, television, lights, wood stove fan and
accessories for a few days."

If he were getting 17Kw power, he'd have been able to power a heck of a
lot more -- I can power more than he could with my 2Kw EU2000i genny.

Plus, as was obvious (AND stated in the article), he was using an
inverter. When's the last time you heard of anyone just happening to
have a 17Kw inverter lying around the house? 8Kw is considered a VERY
high power consumer inverter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 19:01:39 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message
[...]

Conversion efficiency?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"The government of the United States is not, in
any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

And if you read one of the dozen other stories on the guy, you too will
discover that he had a 1KW inverter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 18:55:32 GMT, Erma1ina

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

A 60 amp service is 13 kw
Running a 1 kw inverter off the prius would be pure stupidity. (not
saying that's not what he did - he was an electrical engineering
professor from an ivy league university, after all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

You're finally catching on. He's an idiot, and the whole story is idiotic.
IF you piece together the facts, it's a non story created by journalistic
wackos for an obvious purpose

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 27, 12:39*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
ransley wrote:

[...]

Have you read about Germanys solar program, My numbers are not exact
but as I remember 1/3 of Germany will be solar by 2025 and they are
well ahead of schedule by 5 -10 years. The people installing solar
make money doing so by getting aproximatly .25cents kwh. It is
business that makes purchasers of solar money considered safe enough
that banks loan for it. Charge for public use is over .30c kwh.
Germany is the largest purchaser of and maybe producer of solar cells
now. To say it cant be done is not true, it can be done with
incentives.

Why isnt Ng pushed for cars, in utah it is I believe, Honda had a Ng
car. My friend had a Propane 1/2 ton chevy since maybe 1970, He said
the motors low end lasted longer from no oil contamination and oil was
clean till 10,000 miles. We have enough Ng to not export our money for
energy but make jobs here to keep money here to benefit the US.
Importing hurts everyones standard of living here and makes us
suceptable to conflict. If we didnt need mideast oil there would be no
wars going on, we would not have been there ****ing them off in the
first place.

Read Tboone Pickens initive that he is bankrolling, Ng cars and wind,
wind is free. The real point is we have no energy policy to change the
future.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

wackos for an obvious purpose- Hide quoted text -

He ran it for a few days, it made 17kwh over several days, not at
once. A 1000w inverter does not mean it used 1000 watts at one point,
a small inverter might have fried or failed to operate at all, but he
was smart and oversized. He made 8500 watts a day total average or
only 354 watts an hour. 354 watts hr avg, Take high and low beam
headlights, all your average side and back lights on my car and its
about 350 Watts, I have 2 sets of extra Piaa lights, throw in a 20
watt heater blower and 20 watt stereo and I am all the time on counrty
roads pulling 600++ watts on a 17 yr old smaller car original small
alternator, not a high output unit. He used only 5 gallons gas over 48
hours, that alone proves his load was very low and not all the time.
My gen at idle might use 10 gallons in 48 hrs idling at 3600 rpm. Or
what am I missing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message

wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

[...]

Ransley, you're not missing anything. Neither he, nor the Prius, did
anything special. It was a totally NON story fabricated by a bunch of
reporter environmentalist wackos, desperate to try to put wings on the Prius
and demonize the neighbor's Tahoe. To be clear, I have nothing against the
Prius, the Tahoe, or any "practical environmentalist", just the wackos