Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Car generator to power house

"Erma1ina" wrote in message

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 06:47:24 GMT, Erma1ina
wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Erma1ina wrote:
RBM wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in message

It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...ing-snow-storm
Clearly, the kind of dumb-assed environmental wacko story I'd
expect from
Mass. I use an inverter on a deep cycle marine battery in my
service
vehicle. It powers chargers, lights, and the occasional power tool.
Most of
the time it spends slowly recharging off the vehicle alternator.
short
bursts are all they're really good for,if you're using any real
power. So
this clown runs out to recharge his car once an hour or so, and
thinks he's
a genius. If he had a half a brain he wouldn't be bothering
powering his
refrigerator during a snow storm, and he'd own a cheap generator
like his
smarter, but less environmentally friendly neighbors, who are all,
by the
way, laughing at the idiot.

Either RBM didn't read or didn't comprehend the article. Perhaps she
was
distracted by a Limbaugh lame-assed rant.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...ing-snow-storm

Here's an excerpt:

"FIRST, the Prius carries a much LARGER BATTERY PACK than a regular
car,
allowing someone to power more appliances for longer than the
conventional AC Delco found in most cars. SECOND, unlike some backup
battery systems found in homes, the Prius, like other cars, can
recharge
its batteries with its normal internal combustion engine. And here's
the
BEST PART -- because the PRIUS AUTOMATICALLY TURNS ITSELF ON WHEN
THE
BATTERIES DRAIN to a certain level, SWEENEY LEFT THE CAR RUNNING AND
IT
AUTOMATICALLY TURNED OVER WHEN IT NEEDED TO RECHARGE -- about once
every
30 minutes. IF YOU WERE TRYING TO DO WHAT SWEENEY DID WITH A
NON-HYBRID,
YOU'D FIND YOURSELF SPENDING A LOT MORE TIME OUTSIDE IN THE COLD. I
THE
EFFICIENCY OF THE AUTO-ON FEATURE MEANT SWEENEY ONLY USED AROUND
FIVE
GALLONS OF GAS."

Sweeney used considerably more gas to produce the 17 Kwh he used
than my
Honda EU2000i would have used but I'll wager he used LESS gas than
the
typical gas-hogging genny would have required to power what he did
for
"a few days".

That prolly should read 17 KW, not 17 KWH, huh?

Anyone remember back maybe 35 years ago when you could buy gizmos
which
tricked a regular automobile alternator into outputting something near
120 volts DC which could be used to power things like power tools with
"universal" (AC or DC) electric motors in them?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

No. It should read exactly as it does: 17 KWH (Energy) NOT 17 KW
(Power). He used 17 KWH of ENERGY during those "few days".

I SUSPECT you are wrong - as theist generation Prius had a 17 KW
generator . Second Generation was something like30, and 3rd generation
50 or 55, from what I remember.

Don't think so. Here's the quote:

"Though he couldn't run his entire house one his one car, they were able
to get approximately 17 Kilowatt hours of energy. This was enough to
power his refrigerator/freezer, television, lights, wood stove fan and
accessories for a few days."

If he were getting 17Kw power, he'd have been able to power a heck of a
lot more -- I can power more than he could with my 2Kw EU2000i genny.

Plus, as was obvious (AND stated in the article), he was using an
inverter. When's the last time you heard of anyone just happening to
have a 17Kw inverter lying around the house? 8Kw is considered a VERY
high power consumer inverter.

And if you read one of the dozen other stories on the guy, you too will
discover that he had a 1KW inverter