Posted to alt.home.repair
wineracer

Default Generator backup for house

I have a 220 volt panel that feeds my kitchen and family room. It has
NO 220 volt appliances, heaters, ac, etc connected to it, only 110 volt
units.

I have an RV with a 110 volt 4000 watt 30 amp output.

I have a disconnect switch to isolate this panel from the power company
and from the rest of the house.

Is there a way to power up the panel with 110 volts from the RV
generator to run the 110 volt appliances and lights which all together
draw less than the 30 amp 110 volt rating?

thanks in advance for educating me,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Did you figure surge load for motors as part of your run rating , you
need to, it is from 2.5 - possibly 9 times run and the only way to know
is testing everything with an amp meter, or your mobil unit may not work
or last long. A transfer panel is best.

Posted to alt.home.repair
wineracer

yes, I have the surge figured in. I have the disconnect/transfer
panel.
What I need to know is:
As all the appliances are 110 volts, can I power up a 220 panel and
wiring with the 110 only generator?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to wineracer :
yes, I have the surge figured in. I have the disconnect/transfer
panel.
What I need to know is:
As all the appliances are 110 volts, can I power up a 220 panel and
wiring with the 110 only generator?

In order to run the panel from the RV's 120V generator (presuming you're
going to do this simply by attaching the generator's hot wire to _both_
legs of the panel), not only must there be NO 240V loads, there must be
NO shared-neutral circuits - aka "multi-wire branch circuits".

As one example: split receptacles.

If they ever ran two circuits in a single cable, you have shared neutrals.

If there are shared neutrals, you can overload 'em without blowing a breaker.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

see:
http://home.howstuffworks.com/emergency-power4.htm

you need a positive interlock system on the house installed by an
electrician not just a disconnect.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sherman

On 12 Dec 2005 00:12:33 -0800, "wineracer"
wrote:

I have a 220 volt panel that feeds my kitchen and family room. It has
NO 220 volt appliances, heaters, ac, etc connected to it, only 110 volt
units.

I have an RV with a 110 volt 4000 watt 30 amp output.

I have a disconnect switch to isolate this panel from the power company
and from the rest of the house.

Is there a way to power up the panel with 110 volts from the RV
generator to run the 110 volt appliances and lights which all together
draw less than the 30 amp 110 volt rating?

thanks in advance for educating me,

John

Yes.

While it would be best to run a separate emergency line to those few
appliances you need to survive the ice storm, you can do it with
little work or danger.

Shut off all you circuit breakers and tie in the 110 to the
disconnect and then bring up the ones you want.