Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Car generator to power house

"ransley" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 8:07 am, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

On Dec 26, 5:48 pm, wrote:

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 16:00:02 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

It can be done - if you're smug enough.

http://jalopnik.com/5118297/tech+sav...-hybrid-to-pow...

The prius is a different story altogether. Notice 17 KILLOWATTS, with
the car starting about every half hout.
Gen 2 is 33Kw, and gen 3 is 50KW!!
Battery pack voltage is 273+ volts, so he wasn't using your normal
every-day inverter either!!.

That assumes the inverter was somehow hooked directly to the Prius
battery pack. I see no indication that was the case. He only drew
17KWH over several days. I would think that could have been
provided by a small conventional inverter connected to the car's 12V
subsytem.

The Gen 2 battery is good for 80 amps, and can take a 50 amp charge -
so not your typical deep-cycle battery either.
Gen 3 is 201 volts. Both are rated at 6.5 aH - or in the Gen3 case,
1300 watt hours (1.3kwh)

There are a dozen different stories on it. Reporters from all over were
just
tripping over each other to write a worship the Prius story. Bottom line,
he
connected a 1000 watt garden variety inverter to the gel cell 12 volt
battery, and let the car auto start to keep it charged. I guess he needed
be a Harvard EE to figure out how to connect the red and black wires to
the
battery.

Why put it down, if you had a Chevy hybrid you would do it, My
neighbor had a Escalade Hybrid for testing and it will sell. but I am
sure you would do it more carefully. Monitoring the Gen temp and other
components with an IR thermometer and having aiflow would have been
smart.

I'm not putting down that car or any other hybrid, only the deceptive
,twisted story, designed to make a guy with no foresight look like a genius,
and the least innovative part of the hybrid, (the gel cell), appear to be
something miraculous.

I too, live in the northeast. We have snow and ice storms. Sometimes we lose
electricity. People who don't want to be without power in those
circumstances, like me, own generators designed to power everything we
desire during an outage. It's really a no brainer