Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deteriorated Power Line Coming into House from Power Meter

The power wire going into my brother-in-laws house seems to be
deteriorated. The heavy gage gray plastic coated wire going into his
meter from the telephone pole seems fine but the wire exits the meter
and runs along some of his bricks (horizontally) for about 10 feet
before it enters the house. I think it's about 30-years old and it
gets a lot of sun exposure. The horizontal stretch attached to the
brick has the plastic sheath delaminated away to the point where you
can see the woven insulation underneath. I assume the wires inside
the woven insulation as also insulated.

Anyway, I assume that the plastic coating coming off the wire is a bad
bad thing and needs to be fixed. The problem area is between the
meter his hook-up to his breaker box in the house. Since he can't
shut off the power at the meter, is this something the power company
would be responsible to fix for free (even though it is on the house-
side of the meter?

He's in Warren Michigan.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 10:18?am, " wrote:
[...]

hows the line from the wires at pole to the meter?

what happens is its time for a service upgrade, new line from pole
wires, new meter can, new lines to main service box and new breaker
box, 200 amp prefered. you get upgraded grounding and other stuff,
plus add home resale value.

homes require $$ on a regular basis just to keep up.

its possible to have meter pulled and replace line from meter to main
breaker box but at 30 years isnt a good idea.

A buddy of mine who hates spending even a dime on his home used RTV
auto stuff and smeared it on the detoriating line. Personally I
wouldnt do that, but he is in his 70s and said let the next owner fix
it

around here the line you talk about is the property owners
responsiblity but that varies some over the country

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 12:35 pm, " wrote:
On Oct 23, 10:18?am, " wrote:

[...]

responsiblity but that varies some over the country- Hide quoted text -

Here that horizontal run of uncovered/unprotected? cable would not be
allowed, even 30 years ago.
It should be in conduit; either older style metal or more modern
plastic.
Again here; the meter itself is the property of the electric utility
(they recently changed ours to a digital type) but the provision of
the meter socket and the wiring from where the power utility wires
connect at the overhead weather-head and from the meter socket to the
main panel inside the house are owned by and are the responsibility of
the homeowner.
Absolutely amazed that open insulated wires on a surface like that
would be permitted or safe; in most North American (well Canadian
anyway) jurisdictions!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Oct, 11:42, terry wrote:
On Oct 23, 12:35 pm, " wrote:

On Oct 23, 10:18?am, " wrote:

[...]

anyway) jurisdictions!- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps you misunderstood....or maybe you have a different definition
of uncovered/unprotected.

The wire he speaks of can be seen here...look at the grey cable
clamped to the wall under the text "Jul".

http://msmith.typepad.com/photos/sol..._and_meter.jpg

Standard installation in the oft-frozen Western NY-Great Lakes
region.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 11:51?am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 23 Oct, 11:42, terry wrote:

On Oct 23, 12:35 pm, " wrote:

On Oct 23, 10:18?am, " wrote:

[...]

region.- Hide quoted text -

years ago conduit was required but today in the pittsburgh area
regular cable is standard.

after accidently running a tiller unto our service entrance cable I
think conduit should be required

Posted to alt.home.repair

thanks everybody!

Power Meter John Plant UK diy 5 September 22nd 07 12:33 AM
Electrical power coming into a gutter Tazz Home Repair 2 October 20th 06 12:02 PM
D-I-Y power meter for entire house Simon UK diy 29 August 2nd 06 10:13 PM
FS - anyone want this nice meter for their power generator? william_b_noble Metalworking 3 October 21st 05 02:08 AM
Power meter, Instr. wanted, please. [email protected] UK diy 7 July 30th 05 07:00 PM