Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exercising an emergency generator

Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. What is a good load? An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? Power
tools that draw a surge?

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? [I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 15:35:05 -0500, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That sure sounds excessive. Do they think the motor is a real piece
of ****?

That seems like a CYA suggestion. I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. What is a good load? An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? Power
tools that draw a surge?

Just starting it is probably enough. Once a month w/ a load sounds
fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 2:35*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. *[Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. * *I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. * *What is a good load? * An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? * *Power
tools that draw a surge? * *

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. * *Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? *[I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

It needs it once every 6 months so the generator doesnt loose residual
magnatism, if you ran it dry of gas you would have no worry of gumming
the carb, stabil helps, but empty is best.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. What is a good load? An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? Power
tools that draw a surge?

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? [I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

I probably only run mine every 2-3 months. No load, just let it warm
up. I've had it maybe 3 years. I wheel in and out of garage where
fortunately my panel is connected just a couple of feet from end of
garage. Over hang keeps rain off and if needed, I can close garage and
leave generator connected outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. What is a good load? An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? Power
tools that draw a surge?

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? [I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

I've had a Cummins Pro 6000E gasoline generator for about 10 years. It has a
9 gallon tank on it. I exercise it for about half an hour every couple of
months, under varying loads. I use Stabil in the fuel, and I religiously
dump the fuel twice a year and fill with fresh gas. Never had a problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 3:35�pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. �[Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. � �I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. � �What is a good load? � An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? � �Power
tools that draw a surge? � �

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. � �Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? �[I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

I suggest you keep it indoors where the temperatures are moderate and
moisture doesnt cause grief and rust.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. What is a good load? An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? Power
tools that draw a surge?

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? [I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

I have a Generac L5000E that I've had for an eon or two. I used to
exercise it regularly, but these days it just gets exercised when I need
it, typically quarterly or so. I use Sta-Bil in all my fuel stocks, I
use Mobil 1 oil in all my engines and I never have a problem.

As for a shed, any old pre-fab garden shed would do the job to shelter
it. Realize that no small shed will do much to quiet it. The only way
you can accomplish that to any extent would be with solid masonry,
plywood or similar just makes a sounding board.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Pete C." wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

[...]

Add to that, I do always run the carb dry after each use, disconnecting
the load, closing the fuel valve and letting it run until it stops. If
you don't do this and store it any length of time, even with Sta-Bil the
carb will gum up.

As for a shed, any old pre-fab garden shed would do the job to shelter
it. Realize that no small shed will do much to quiet it. The only way
you can accomplish that to any extent would be with solid masonry,
plywood or similar just makes a sounding board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

A load has to be put on the generator for a few minutes every 6
months, even just 100 w to keep the generator magnitised
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. What is a good load? An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? Power
tools that draw a surge?

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? [I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

IME, most of them say weekly and certainly it wouldn't hurt anything. I
try to make mine at least monthly, shoot for every two weeks, more
often if I think of it and am around the genset. I originally only ran
it monthly though, for the first few years. They always say to let
them warm up to operating temp too, which makes sense to me. Besides,
mine is electric start and it keeps the battery topped off with a 15-20
minute run.
I do believe weekly is best though: when the fuel bowl deveoped a
pin-hole leak, I found a lot of sticky, gooey gunk in the bottom of the
bowl and on the float. Couple years later the fuel pump (pulse type)
quit, and when I broke it open, it had a good buildup of the same gunk
inside it. So, more often than once a month is probably good advice if
you want max longevity out of your machine.

I usually just go flip the Transfer Switch and let it power the house
as if there was an outage but occasionally will use two electric
heaters, just to let it run in a reasonably balanced/known load
scenario.
Also instead of the little batteries most of them come with (lawn
tractor batteries, really), I started just recycling my used/weakening
car batteries on it. I first did it because it was all I had around and
I wanted to genset to work, but it worked so well I left it on. Got 8
years out of the last one! If someting happens and you have to start it
a few times in quick succession or it gets hard to start as when you
overestimate the amount of Stabil it needs g, you don't get a low or
dead battery nearly so fast. In fact, I've never run it down with the
genset; they'll last almost forever compared to the smaller tractor
battery in my experience.
A can of starter fluid is also nice to have handy as long as it's
stored safely.
Oh, and watch the age of Stabil, starter fluid, things like that too.
It seems if you go beyond around 5 years they aren't likely to have much
"punch" left in them.

HTH

Twayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine gets run yearly, if that. Mostly cause it's such a PIA to drag it out.
If you build a shed for it, please put in vents on the side, and a ceiling
exhaust fan to pump heat out. Like a bathroom fan.

I just put in a splash of gasoline, pint or so. Run the engine dry. The last
time, was in 2006 when I ran some friends sump pump and furnace, during
aftermath of an ice storm. It was seriously cold in their house when I
arrived. I'd forgot they had electric stove, or I'd have brought a camping
stove.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. What is a good load? An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? Power
tools that draw a surge?

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? [I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

A load has to be put on the generator for a few minutes every 6
months, even just 100 w to keep the generator magnitised

Where did you come up with that? I've often wondered how they lost
their flux, but never found anything in writing. Supposedly, and I have
no prejudice either way, time isn't an enemy. As long as there's
"something" there, they'll build up magnetism quickly and run fine.
Even the manufacturers didn't have much to say about it. One tried to
explain to me how it can weaken thru humidity, etc., things I had NO
confidence in!
And, since you might know, is there a "weakening" effect, or is it a
0/1 kind of thing w/r to output current? It either is or isn't; no in
between? I suspect a 0/1 situation since all it takes to remagnetize is
a hit from a lantern battery according to the manual. I've never come
across anyone had to remagnetize the poles.

Regards,

Twayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

Want you to wear out the engine and buy another?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message

That sure sounds excessive. Do they think the motor is a real piece
of ****?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Brand of gasoline is important, and also deciding if you wan to burn that
10% ethanol stuff. My sense is that ethanol is a bad idea in small
equipment. I know that my vehicles get more than 10% mileage decrease on
ethanol. So, the actual usage of petroleum goes up when I tank up on ethanol
gasoline.

I'd like to hear about your religious gasoline dump. Are you using the old
gas for a burnt offering at an altar, for example? Do you call a priest for
the ceremony, or perhaps a couple of witches? Is the semiannaul fuel dump
mentioned in the holy writings some where?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RBM" wrote in message

I've had a Cummins Pro 6000E gasoline generator for about 10 years. It has a
9 gallon tank on it. I exercise it for about half an hour every couple of
months, under varying loads. I use Stabil in the fuel, and I religiously
dump the fuel twice a year and fill with fresh gas. Never had a problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now, that's religious. Store your generator in Heaven, where grief doeth not
steal, nor moth nor rust corrode.

I was thinking about the 6,000 watter with nine galons. That sure would be
nice, have a bit of extended run time without having to top it off.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

I suggest you keep it indoors where the temperatures are moderate and
moisture doesnt cause grief and rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bunch of fiberglass insulation for sound deadening? But like you say, not
much going to help. Pipe the loud exhaust into a drywell?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

As for a shed, any old pre-fab garden shed would do the job to shelter
it. Realize that no small shed will do much to quiet it. The only way
you can accomplish that to any extent would be with solid masonry,
plywood or similar just makes a sounding board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ransley" wrote in message
It needs it once every 6 months so the generator doesnt loose residual
magnatism, if you ran it dry of gas you would have no worry of gumming
the carb, stabil helps, but empty is best.

Suppose you went too long without starting it. How do you go about getting it
generating again? (I don't know that I have a problem yet.... will have to go
start it first to find out. It's been a while.)

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Dec 19, 5:25*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

months, even just 100 w to keep the generator magnitised- Hide quoted text -

With a 115/220v generator, does each leg need a load to keep it
magnetized? I run mine every 3-4 months with a 100w flood light
plugged into each leg for a load, but have often wondered if that was
necessary.

Red
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 8:23�pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Now, that's religious. Store your generator in Heaven, where grief doeth not
steal, nor moth nor rust corrode.

I was thinking about the 6,000 watter with nine galons. That sure would be
nice, have a bit of extended run time without having to top it off.

--
Christopher A. Young

well in pittsburgh with heavy moist air and winter temperatures near
zero occasionally I would much rather try starting a generatoir thats
not at 15 degrees. plus everything in my 16 by 20 foot shed rusts, no
doubt from trapped moisture and temperature swings. so my generators
live indoors. I have 3, for redundancy two smaller ones and one 4000
watt unit

as to your 6000 watter fuel consumption is larger with a bigger
generator even at low load, and bigger often means noiser.

my 1000 watt inverter and 1000 watt gasoline generator get the most
use here. havent needed the 4000 watt one for years thank goodness.

by carefully rotating loads you can use little fuel, and be reasonably
comfy.

last summer we got a new furnace with AC, previously we used window
units.

well I kept one 5000 BTU window unit for emergencies, during the
summer.its living in a closet in case we ever need it

remember gasoline may be in short supply, you dont have to light up
your home like a baseball stadium, get have some warmth, light, and
keep your freezer cold..

its a good idea to have a few spare watts for your neighbors, during a
emergency if they have a light provided by you, they are unlikely to
complain about the genrator running
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 8:37�pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

It needs it once every 6 months so the generator doesnt loose residual
magnatism, if you ran it dry of gas you would have no worry of gumming
the carb, stabil helps, but empty is best.

Suppose you went too long without starting it. �How do you go about getting it
generating again? �(I don't know that I have a problem yet.... will have to go
start it first to find out. �It's been a while.)

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

I frequent a used tool company, hamilton tool beaver falls pa, A
fascinating place..have bought 4 or 5 broken generators there, me and
a buddy fixed and gave them away or sold them till harbor freights
prices got so low,.

My buddy was the brains of repair retired with electroinics degree
from CMU pittsburgh........

many broke ones were ID as lost magnetism, never found a single one
with that problem.

blown boards, bad commentators or brushes, sagged springs causing low
RPM = low voltage output, and the killer bad start windings.

I think the lost magnetism is a urban myth

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 6:25*pm, ransley wrote:
[...]

I have never heard of having to magnetize a generator before except
for old automotive generators. Where can you find info on doing this.
This was called polarizing them. On the auto generators I think just
flashed the field by momentarily
connecting a wire from the battery to the field terminal on the
regulator.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Try this:

http://www.perr.com/tip16.html

Field Flashing of Portable Generators

This tip comes from the Briggs & Stratton Customer Education Department.
As an alternative to flashing a rotor winding with a battery applied to
the brushes, an electric drill may be used. Follow these steps to flash
the generator:

Plug the electric drill into the generator receptacle. (Cordless drills
do not work)
If the drill is reversible, move the direction switch to the forward
position.
Start the generator
While depressing the trigger on the drill, spin the drill chuck in
reverse direction. This will excite the field and the generator will now
produce electricity. If spinning the chuck one direction does not work,
try spinning the chuck in the other direction as you may have the
reverse switch positioned backwards.
Use caution not to get your hand or other materials caught in the chuck.
As soon as the field is excited, the generator will produce power and
the drill will turn on.

The reason this works is because the electric motor in the drill will
act as a small generator when spun backwards. The magnets in the drill's
motor induce a voltage into the motor windings, which is fed back
through the trigger, cord and into the generators receptacle. From there
it goes into the power winding of the stator. The voltage going through
the power winding creates a magnetic field, which is intensified due to
the iron core of the stator laminations. The rotor intersects this
magnetic field as it is spun past the power winding, thus inducing a
voltage in the rotor winding. Once current flow is present in the rotor
winding the rotor has been flashed.

If flashing the field does not make the generator work, you may have
additional problems, besides a lack of magnetism in the rotor. Further
testing will be needed. Hopefully, this will give a simple way to field
flash your generator if needed - Bruce Perrault
Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 19:07:48 -0800, JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

Extended times of not being run can have the effect of the pole shoes that
the fields are wrapped to loose residual magnetism resulting in the fields
requiring being flashed with a battery to restore this magnetic field to
start the generation process.

http://s370.photobucket.com/albums/o...FieldFlash.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 7:37*pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
wrote:
"ransley" wrote in message

It needs it once every 6 months so the generator doesnt loose residual
magnatism, if you ran it dry of gas you would have no worry of gumming
the carb, stabil helps, but empty is best.

Suppose you went too long without starting it. *How do you go about getting it
generating again? *(I don't know that I have a problem yet.... will have to go
start it first to find out. *It's been a while.)

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

You "Flash" it, that is using a 12v battery on the generators output
terminals while it is running, I never did it but I had instructions
and im sure they are online, I think better units have a circuit put
in for this. 6 months does not mean it will not work and I dont know
the science behind how long they really last but I have heard of this
happening. Starting it with any minimal load keeps it working I have
been told.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"RBM" wrote in message

I've had a Cummins Pro 6000E gasoline generator for about 10 years. It has a
9 gallon tank on it. I exercise it for about half an hour every couple of
months, under varying loads. I use Stabil in the fuel, and I religiously
dump the fuel twice a year and fill with fresh gas. Never had a problem

Can you honestly but 100% pure gasolene anywhere, I thought it was all
10% moonshine. But dont forget it wont freeze from water at -20f,
alcohol has absorbed condensed water. I often saw folks with frozen
gas at -0f in the 70-80s, bu not now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I suggest you keep it indoors where the temperatures are moderate and
moisture doesnt cause grief and rust.

When you spend thousands for emergency equipment and want it to work
to keep from freezing storing it inside in low humidity is just smart.
components rust and corrode, and animals can mess up power equipment,
like that mouse living in my air filter that make my mower not run
well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 8:15*pm, Red wrote:
[...]

Red- Hide quoted text -

Good point, I dont know but probably one side could fail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message

[...]

I saw it happen, it didnt work then we jumped it. But I wonder if it
might not take years. Urbn myth, then why do better or some big units
have a circuit that engages on startup to juice it, because
demagnitising happens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 11:07*pm, Erma1ina wrote:
JIMMIE wrote:

[...]

flash your generator if needed - Bruce Perrault- Hide quoted text -

Interesting, so I can attach a big windmill on my drill and make
power? With the electronic speed control it may do nothing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Federal Law for emergency generators in hospitals and nursing homes
(and don't quote me): checked weekly (battery, belts, oil, fuel,
etc.);
run monthly with 20% load.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Bunch of fiberglass insulation for sound deadening? But like you say, not
much going to help. Pipe the loud exhaust into a drywell?

Nope, the exhaust is only a small portion of the noise on one of these
portable units. The piping the exhaust through a muffler thing only
works with larger, lower RPM, liquid cooled units generally.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

As for a shed, any old pre-fab garden shed would do the job to shelter
it. Realize that no small shed will do much to quiet it. The only way
you can accomplish that to any extent would be with solid masonry,
plywood or similar just makes a sounding board.

Posted to alt.home.repair

well in pittsburgh with heavy moist air and winter temperatures near
zero occasionally I would much rather try starting a generatoir thats
not at 15 degrees. plus everything in my 16 by 20 foot shed rusts, no
doubt from trapped moisture and temperature swings.

CY: Rust is a serious concern.

so my generators
live indoors. I have 3, for redundancy two smaller ones and one 4000
watt unit

CY:I also like the redundant equipment.

with a bigger
generator even at low load, and bigger often means noiser.

my 1000 watt inverter and 1000 watt gasoline generator get the most
use here. havent needed the 4000 watt one for years thank goodness.

CY: Inverter... you have a battery storage bank? Or run it off the vehicle?
My 1200 watt ETQ generator is a two stroke, but it's very quiet. When a
friend had his power off, it ran his very old furnace.

by carefully rotating loads you can use little fuel, and be reasonably
comfy.

CY: An hour of furnace will heat my trailer to get me through the night.

last summer we got a new furnace with AC, previously we used window
units.

well I kept one 5000 BTU window unit for emergencies, during the
summer.its living in a closet in case we ever need it

CY: Yes, a window unit will often run off a portable generator. Central AC
takes more power, and larger starting current. Might be possible with some
larger generators.

remember gasoline may be in short supply, you dont have to light up
your home like a baseball stadium, get have some warmth, light, and
keep your freezer cold..

CY: With few exceptions, most of the time when you need a generator,
gasoline is unavailable. Cause the gas stations don't have power, to run
their pumps. The furnace run I did, was an exception. The guy was wihtout
power for non payment, and everyone else in the world had power and
gasoline.

its a good idea to have a few spare watts for your neighbors, during a
emergency if they have a light provided by you, they are unlikely to
complain about the genrator running

CY:It's nice to have extra power. However, you risk setting up yourself as
the neighborhood power company. Many people get insistent, miserable,
demanding, and jealous. Very few offer to help pay for your gas and oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Copied from antoher list.

===========================

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wish I still had it, but I remember something about connecting a lantern
battery to a cord, and plug that into the output of the generator. Been a
long time since I read that. I just reposted the B and S instructions for
reflashing a generator with a plug in drill.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

I have never heard of having to magnetize a generator before except
for old automotive generators. Where can you find info on doing this.
This was called polarizing them. On the auto generators I think just
flashed the field by momentarily
connecting a wire from the battery to the field terminal on the
regulator.

Jimmie

Posted to alt.home.repair

its so easy to flash a genset i wouldnt worry about running it
every month , it wouldnt hurt anything if you did run it every month.
just stabilize some gas,and then run it out of fuel. to flash it,just
plug in a drill,hold the trigger on and turn the chuck backwards till it
takes off..

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. What is a good load? An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? Power
tools that draw a surge?

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? [I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

I built this one to match my T1-11 workshop building:

http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3122975824/sizes/o/

http://flickr.com/photos/joearnold/3122975606/sizes/o/

Posted to alt.home.repair

i got a 4000kw kohler genset out of motor home it runs on
gasoline .i have the nat gas conversion but havent used it yet. k321
14hp engine runs 1800 rpm and has fuel pump. i put a 3 gallon tank on
the handle away from the engine when i put the wheels under the genset.
i put a t in the fuel line and mounted the male omc fuel fitting to the
line just above the top level of the 3 gallon tank ,secured it with
hoseclamps to the handle ,it closes off when unplugged . i can turn the
gas off at the tank and hook up my 6 gallon omc portable boat tanks to
it . its worked out good. the boat tank is away from the genset about 6
feet so i can fill it while shes running or just plug into another tank
while its running . the 3 gallon tank is mounted on the handle i pull
the unit around with and is handy for useing the genset for shorter
periods of time. i put a round car muffler on it and is very quiet. made
a battery rack big enough for a large car battery so i could just toss
whatever size batt i may have on it ,mower batt or truck batt . i
mounted a 4 plug 110 outlet box on a 20 amp breaker to the thing on a
1/4 " thick 1-1/2 inch angle iron upright. and have a 30 amp breaker
circuit for plugging into the house. there are some really good gensets
to be had cheep out of rv's .those new 3600 rpm gensets just seem like
they are screaming when running. i cant run everthing in the house but
it does the gas furnace,fridge ,tv and some lights with no strain. i
have gas stove and waterheater so no elec required there. i think the
transfer switch is the safest way to run into the house ,or extension
cords.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RLM RLM is offline

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:11:23 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Copied from antoher list.

===========================

==========================

===============================
------------

===================================
I have a pdf document for my 3.5KW generator that shows how to flash the
field in fig. 6-11. If you want me to send you a copy of the pdf doc. it
is 4.3mb. Drop me an Email to rlm4848atyahoo.com with Generator in subject
line and I'll send it.

===================================

This last post is mine from the metalworking group. I'll still be glad to
honor it if you send an email to me at rlm4848atyahoo.com.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 20, 10:08�am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

My 1000 watt inverter connects quickly to any one of my 3 vehicles.
for short power outages and lights while setting up bettewr things,
plus I have a drop light with 12 volt bulb, and spare bulbs they break
easy..

my one neighbor is in her 80s in bad shape but refuses to leave her
home, I would absolutely help her out in a emergency. my other closest
neighbor is a buddy who helps with projects etc.

if I were provding electric and someone got too demanding I would just
pull the plug

most people getting something for nothing are pretty laid back, I
wouldnt ask for money for gasoline unless the outage lasted many days
Posted to alt.home.repair

I really want a permanent generator with auto transfer switch. but
havent had the bucks

my one generator has fittings for natural gas but I havent gotten
around to all that entails............

only so many hours in a day

This is an EMERGENCY Red Green Home Repair 1 October 14th 08 03:17 AM
This is an EMERGENCY CJT Home Repair 0 October 14th 08 02:20 AM
EMERGENCY [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 14th 07 03:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong - please. Emergency generator question [email protected] UK diy 25 September 25th 06 06:09 PM
Emergency generator question Tony Hayes UK diy 44 September 6th 03 07:58 AM