Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default exercising an emergency generator

On Dec 19, 5:25*pm, ransley wrote:
On Dec 19, 2:35*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. *[Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. * *I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. * *What is a good load? * An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? * *Power
tools that draw a surge? * *

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. * *Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? *[I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

A load has to be put on the generator for a few minutes every 6
months, even just 100 w to keep the generator magnitised- Hide quoted text -

With a 115/220v generator, does each leg need a load to keep it
magnetized? I run mine every 3-4 months with a 100w flood light
plugged into each leg for a load, but have often wondered if that was
necessary.

Red