Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default exercising an emergency generator

A load has to be put on the generator for a few minutes every 6
months, even just 100 w to keep the generator magnitised

Where did you come up with that? I've often wondered how they lost
their flux, but never found anything in writing. Supposedly, and I have
no prejudice either way, time isn't an enemy. As long as there's
"something" there, they'll build up magnetism quickly and run fine.
Even the manufacturers didn't have much to say about it. One tried to
explain to me how it can weaken thru humidity, etc., things I had NO
confidence in!
And, since you might know, is there a "weakening" effect, or is it a
0/1 kind of thing w/r to output current? It either is or isn't; no in
between? I suspect a 0/1 situation since all it takes to remagnetize is
a hit from a lantern battery according to the manual. I've never come
across anyone had to remagnetize the poles.

Regards,

Twayne