Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exercising an emergency generator

On Dec 19, 8:23�pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Now, that's religious. Store your generator in Heaven, where grief doeth not
steal, nor moth nor rust corrode.

I was thinking about the 6,000 watter with nine galons. That sure would be
nice, have a bit of extended run time without having to top it off.

--
Christopher A. Young

well in pittsburgh with heavy moist air and winter temperatures near
zero occasionally I would much rather try starting a generatoir thats
not at 15 degrees. plus everything in my 16 by 20 foot shed rusts, no
doubt from trapped moisture and temperature swings. so my generators
live indoors. I have 3, for redundancy two smaller ones and one 4000
watt unit

as to your 6000 watter fuel consumption is larger with a bigger
generator even at low load, and bigger often means noiser.

my 1000 watt inverter and 1000 watt gasoline generator get the most
use here. havent needed the 4000 watt one for years thank goodness.

by carefully rotating loads you can use little fuel, and be reasonably
comfy.

last summer we got a new furnace with AC, previously we used window
units.

well I kept one 5000 BTU window unit for emergencies, during the
summer.its living in a closet in case we ever need it

remember gasoline may be in short supply, you dont have to light up
your home like a baseball stadium, get have some warmth, light, and
keep your freezer cold..

its a good idea to have a few spare watts for your neighbors, during a
emergency if they have a light provided by you, they are unlikely to
complain about the genrator running