Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exercising an emergency generator

Mine gets run yearly, if that. Mostly cause it's such a PIA to drag it out.
If you build a shed for it, please put in vents on the side, and a ceiling
exhaust fan to pump heat out. Like a bathroom fan.

I just put in a splash of gasoline, pint or so. Run the engine dry. The last
time, was in 2006 when I ran some friends sump pump and furnace, during
aftermath of an ice storm. It was seriously cold in their house when I
arrived. I'd forgot they had electric stove, or I'd have brought a camping
stove.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. [Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. What is a good load? An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? Power
tools that draw a surge?

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? [I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim