Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exercising an emergency generator

On Dec 19, 2:35*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Most folks I know who have emergency generators run them once a month
or so.

I just got one [lost power for a week last week] and note that the
manual says once a *week*. *[Briggs and Stratton 5500 watt Storm
Responder]

That seems like a CYA suggestion. * *I run Stabil in my gas and will
probably go for once a month under load. * *What is a good load? * An
electric space heater that draws a constant 1500watts or so? * *Power
tools that draw a surge? * *

I'm also going to build a little shed/doghouse for this thing. * *Has
anyone seem some good ideas for a 4x5 structure that blends into the
landscape? *[I've been thinking of a scaled down chalet- a gingerbread
house- or a fake boulder as possibilities.]

Thanks
Jim

Remember to allow for security...a remote and battery powered alarm
system for starts.

You wouldn't believe how "popular" you become when you are the only
one in the neighborhood with power.

The lights, the noise and the warm/cool house...it draws neighbors and
crooks like a moth to a flame.

TMT
Posted to alt.home.repair

I may do that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"RLM" wrote in message

This last post is mine from the metalworking group. I'll still be glad to
honor it if you send an email to me at rlm4848atyahoo.com.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder if we live on the same street. I've got one of those neighbors.

Thousand watt inverter is 83 amps, plus losses, at 12 volts. What kind of
connection? Bigger than a lighter socket, I'd guess?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

My 1000 watt inverter connects quickly to any one of my 3 vehicles.
for short power outages and lights while setting up bettewr things,
plus I have a drop light with 12 volt bulb, and spare bulbs they break
easy..

my one neighbor is in her 80s in bad shape but refuses to leave her
home, I would absolutely help her out in a emergency. my other closest
neighbor is a buddy who helps with projects etc.

if I were provding electric and someone got too demanding I would just
pull the plug

most people getting something for nothing are pretty laid back, I
wouldnt ask for money for gasoline unless the outage lasted many days

Posted to alt.home.repair

Natural gas feed is good, NG tends to be very dependable.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I really want a permanent generator with auto transfer switch. but
havent had the bucks

my one generator has fittings for natural gas but I havent gotten
around to all that entails............

only so many hours in a day

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Natural gas feed is good, NG tends to be very dependable.

Why is that?

Just cause its all underground?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

I wonder if we live on the same street. I've got one of those neighbors.

Thousand watt inverter is 83 amps, plus losses, at 12 volts. What kind of
connection? Bigger than a lighter socket, I'd guess?

I use welding cable for my 1500 watt inverter.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 05:31:18 -0800 (PST), ransley
wrote:

When you spend thousands for emergency equipment and want it to work
to keep from freezing storing it inside in low humidity is just smart.
components rust and corrode, and animals can mess up power equipment,
like that mouse living in my air filter that make my mower not run
well.

I can understand this, but I also have a basement that's dry, but
seems to be more humid than my garage, based on what my motorcycle
leathers tell me. The problem, of course, is that my garage freezes
in the winter, whereas my basement doesn't. So, getting the
snowblower started up during the first SERIOUS cold snowstorm if I
haven't run it within a month prior is a challenge. It's running fine
now, thank goodness, with all this snow we're having now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message ...
"Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Natural gas feed is good, NG tends to be very dependable.

Why is that?

Just cause its all underground?

That and Natural gas pipeline companies: use natural gas as a fuel to run compressor units.
The power goes out the Natural gas just keeps pumping
during a power outage, gas stations may be closed.

This is an EMERGENCY Red Green Home Repair 1 October 14th 08 03:17 AM
This is an EMERGENCY CJT Home Repair 0 October 14th 08 02:20 AM
EMERGENCY [email protected] Home Repair 8 June 14th 07 03:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong - please. Emergency generator question [email protected] UK diy 25 September 25th 06 06:09 PM
Emergency generator question Tony Hayes UK diy 44 September 6th 03 07:58 AM